Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

$170K commission spoiled by contamination

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 17 Jul 2015, 11:31 AM Agree 0
The Supreme Court of Canada has refused to award a Quebec real estate agent more than $170,000 in commissions for a deal that fell through over pollution contamination.
  • Andy | 17 Jul 2015, 12:08 PM Agree 0
    So, a deal fell apart. Happens every day...
  • Jackie O'Keefe RLP | 17 Jul 2015, 12:22 PM Agree 0
    This was the right decision in my opinion. Was there even a Phase 1? Atleast then there'd be a leg to stand on for the agent as the history of use would've been investigated.
  • Abbas | 17 Jul 2015, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    The way I understand is that commission is payable upon successful completion of the transaction. It appears the decision by the judge is correct as there was no deal closed. Unless tere were other compelling reasons I am surprised the agent sued for the commission. I was an interesting read though.
  • | 17 Jul 2015, 12:31 PM Agree 0
    The commission could have more than paid for the remediation and still paid a sizable comission to the agent
  • Gordon | 17 Jul 2015, 01:20 PM Agree 0
    ....so had the agent paid for the remediation himself he still could have grossed more than 100K.....instead, he chooses to stand on some principal and stick it to his Seller. What kind of legal advice did he get ! ? That was a really dumb decision on his part, and motivated by greed. Gives us all a bad name.
  • | 17 Jul 2015, 02:04 PM Agree 0
    Why would the Agent expect commission on a non consummated deal. The Agent lost nothing as there was nothing to lose. Sounds like sour grapes to me.
  • anu jain | 18 Jul 2015, 01:02 AM Agree 0
    I think , an intelligent agent can crack this deal , by paying $75,000 for decontamination and still he can earn almost $100,000.
  • Maxy | 18 Jul 2015, 01:14 AM Agree 0
    It sounds like a story from south of Canadian border. Some of us has too much money to share with lucky lawyers. Does any one wonder why the agent's lawyer did not advise him/her not to bother suing for commissiom? In latin the answer is "pecunia"
  • | 22 Jul 2015, 09:05 AM Agree 0
    If I had the potential to earn that $180,000 commission, I would have paid the $74,000 for the clean up and still walked away with $125,000!
  • Vincent Bussiere | 30 Jul 2015, 02:16 PM Agree 0
    Am I missng something? Why would a smart broker not being able to negotiate a 3 way expense from the buyer, the seller and himself to split the cost of decontamination I don't think the broker did a good job for his clients, even if he had paid all of the decontaminarion cost he would still have made a very large commission, he badly advise the clients, the cost alone to go to supreme court must be a bundle of money to him and his client.
  • Vincent Bussiere | 30 Jul 2015, 02:17 PM Agree 0
    Am I missng something? Why would a smart broker not being able to negotiate a 3 way expense from the buyer, the seller and himself to split the cost of decontamination I don't think the broker did a good job for his clients, even if he had paid all of the decontaminarion cost he would still have made a very large commission, he badly advise the clients, the cost alone to go to supreme court must be a bundle of money to him and his client.
Post a reply