Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Agent education: what happened?

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 24 Dec 2014, 09:20 AM Agree 0
Most agents can agree that the industry often leaves much to be desired as far as professionalism goes, but sales reps are increasingly divided in determining the root cause of that apparent incompetence.
  • Change is Coming | 24 Dec 2014, 10:10 AM Agree 0
    Their model for education and commissions are in need of a total overhaul...this will come with software and big changes coming in the digital age.
  • Michael Drakich | 24 Dec 2014, 10:35 AM Agree 0
    When I served on the OREA board of directors in 1996-97 we were given the opportunity to provide input into the new education model. Then OREA President Robert Storring wanted a frank and open discussion on suggestions and so wanted all comments without movers and seconders. Sensing an opportunity, I immediately began making suggestions pushing for higher education requirements. First of all, I wanted a minimum grade 12 education to get a licence. After debate, a vote was held. Final tally 16-1 against. Analysis of people in the room - 16 broker owners or managers and one salesperson - me. Needless to say, all other suggestions I made were also routinely defeated. As long as brokers and managers are only concerned with filling desks the major criteria for hiring will still be the mirror test. That's where a mirror is held to the applicant's face and if it fogs up they're hired. Education change will not come from within. It must be forced on us.
  • Don | 24 Dec 2014, 12:52 PM Agree 0

It is not Professionalism that is lacking in our industry ( read the British definition.) it is in fact INTEGRITY and that is something that is only ours to give away or hold dear and apply in our lives.
  • Larry | 28 Dec 2014, 05:58 PM Agree 0
    I'll offer an educational point. Agent = Broker. Someone who is licensed under a real estate agent (agency) or broker (brokerage) is a licensed salesperson. A good start would be educating everyone on that point.
  • Ken Burrows Sr | 29 Dec 2014, 09:22 AM Agree 0
    The entry level requirements for getting a real estate license are too low. I think a minimum of a four year university degree is necessary. Handling complex sales transactions requires more that a real estate course. If we are to enhance the quality and veracity of our industry let's get the educational standards up to where it is accountable and respectable.
  • Robert | 04 Jan 2015, 06:22 PM Agree 0
    Well said Michael, I remember that discussion and your valued input. Unfortunately as you are aware open discussion often leads to mere lip service with no real intentions of embarking on a program of changes. The idea of hiring anyone who breathing will prevail I expect until long after you and I are gone.
  • cwir | 05 Jan 2015, 11:36 AM Agree 0
    Hi Larry. I'm pretty good at understanding the English language and the Agency relationship specifically, but I have no idea what you're trying to say about the latter!
  • Randi Emmott | 06 Jan 2015, 11:31 AM Agree 0
    I think we are moving backwards with RECO now reducing the requirements for ongoing education and having it all online. There are less hours now required to renew your licence, you just have to answer the questions but there is no failing. Someone merely has to sit (or have someone else sit) in front of the computer and spend the time to hit the keys. On line learning may have its benefits but there is no opportunity for discussion and a lot of opportunity for fraud. I believe everyone should have to attend at least the RECO update course in person, classes to be limited in size so that there is an opportunity for discussion and our licence I.D. be required to be presented. In order to ensure the person holding the licence is indeed that person our licences should have our photo on them (even Costco requires that!).
Post a reply