Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Agent loses license for five years

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 01 Jun 2015, 11:29 AM Agree 0
A respected agent has lost his license and been handed a hefty fine over allegations he took advantage of a mentally ill buyer.
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 12:04 PM Agree 0
    At least he got 1%
  • not surprised | 01 Jun 2015, 12:08 PM Agree 0
    you get what you pay for ...1%
  • LMAO | 01 Jun 2015, 12:11 PM Agree 0
    LMAO - yup pay little get xxxx lots - However regrettably this scumbag guy makes us all look bad
  • Rod | 01 Jun 2015, 12:13 PM Agree 0
    They walk among us! He couldn't do his business properly in the first place so he works for 1%...then hes sees a chance to make a bit more and it exposes his integrity to all.....meanwhile, his poor client is left having to deal with his mess for who knows how long. Nice
    job bonehead. Son kew what was going on as well....should also be slammed.
  • Rod | 01 Jun 2015, 12:14 PM Agree 0
    They walk among us! He couldn't do his business properly in the first place so he works for 1%...then hes sees a chance to make a bit more and it exposes his integrity to all.....meanwhile, his poor client is left having to deal with his mess for who knows how long. Nice
    job bonehead. Son knew what was going on as well....should also be slammed.
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 12:16 PM Agree 0
    He deserves to lose his licence forever. When in doubt...Disclose, Disclose, Disclose
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 12:17 PM Agree 0
    When you pay in peanuts you get monkeys. Feel sorry for his "victims" tho
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    You get what you it for
  • Annie Thai | 01 Jun 2015, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    * I agree that father and son representing both seller and buyer is still a conflict in interest.
    * if he was disclosed of such fact from the seller, his duty is to convey the message to his client.
    * I further agree if anything within his knowledge , especially in this case, that would cause a potential damage to his client, he must advise.
    * If the mortgage is title insured, his client may be able to claim it from there.
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 12:27 PM Agree 0
    Five years is quite a while! Wonder if he'll be working as an unlicensed assistant to his son? Love this bizniss!
  • An Ontario Lawyer | 01 Jun 2015, 12:33 PM Agree 0
    Is this is one time affair, or does he have a history. If first time, then perhaps the punishment is harsh. How many of us are qualified to determine if someone is mentally ill? Other issues may be negligence, even gross negligence which can compensated by negligence insurance. But since he knew (it seems) that the water was leaking and that seems to be a very bad point. However, he says that he did not know she had mental issues and therefore, the punishment seems very harsh, unless he has a bad history.
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 12:36 PM Agree 0
    This realtor should never be allowed to sell real estate again. NEVER
  • AlphonseQ | 01 Jun 2015, 12:43 PM Agree 0
    No matter what banner he plays under, we are all in the same fishbowl, should be a lifetime ban...
  • weselltoronto | 01 Jun 2015, 12:52 PM Agree 0
    It's too bad that the public is not made aware of this too!
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 12:52 PM Agree 0
    That is why we have disclosure forms, for this very reason.
    Rule of thumb, disclose ! disclose! disclose.
    If there is any doubt about anything you must disclose.
  • Aldo | 01 Jun 2015, 12:53 PM Agree 0
    Unethical salespeople like him should loose his license forever
  • joe | 01 Jun 2015, 12:55 PM Agree 0
    The sad part in all of this is that he will get his license back at some point ....he should be gone forever.
  • Peter B. | 01 Jun 2015, 01:10 PM Agree 0
    Yes, his actions were unacceptable by our standards but what is cowardly sh** is the fact that some of you are using this as a reason to criticize companies that charge less than 5%. What dishonest crap you are spewing. Don't you think he would have conducted his affairs in a similar fashion if he were charging 2.5% to list?

I have seem my share of crap contracts written by "big head" realtors pumping their 5-6% service as better and yet requiring me to help them rewrite a clause to keep us both out of ethics.

You opportunistic jackals make me sick.
  • Joyce Ledohowski; | 01 Jun 2015, 01:13 PM Agree 0
    This bird is despicable,ruthless,and a disgrace to our industry.
  • Peter B. | 01 Jun 2015, 01:13 PM Agree 0
    Good points and thanks for making them. What qualifies as mentally ill? Is she autistic (a condition not an illness) or just an emotional mess?
    Mind you, a few questions to the condo board would have made the water issue known and do they not have to request a status certificate and general disclosure of defects or anticipated levies in that area?
  • Kay Rogers | 01 Jun 2015, 02:00 PM Agree 0
    I feel, very sorry for the purchaser, very SAD!
  • John Ives | 01 Jun 2015, 02:31 PM Agree 0
    Was there a PCDS? What was the vendor held responsible for,if anything?
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 02:43 PM Agree 0
    Quite simple if the minutes of the meetings were in fact read, like we are all supposed to do for any strata development, the water issue would have been very plain to see, so there is no excuse for this part of the deal that went very wrong.
  • Sidhu | 01 Jun 2015, 03:55 PM Agree 0
    You do get (and deserve ) what you pay for!! You can't expect the same quality of product from the Dollar store as you would expect from Sears or Bay!! Quality service takes more time, and time costs money! Too bad we aren't allowed to inform consumers about such incidents in order to illustrate how the Dollar store product doesn't measure up to the Sears or Bay's!!
    It is highly unlikely that father and son work for different brokerages. Therefore, one has to assume that they work for the same office and that they chose to show that the father represented the Buyer whereas the son represented the Seller to deceive a casual observer or, perhaps, even themselves that by so doing they were avoiding a conflict of interest! Any honest and ethical realtor would have enquired from the son ( the Seller's realtor) whether or not there were any known defects or extra charges to be paid to the Condominium Corp. it would appear that the Buyer's realtor failed to do so! The father and son would also like us to believe that the son failed to disclose to his father that the Buyer would be faced with paying out $ 53,000 for repairs! What a loving son he is!!
    Finally, to reduce the amount of time ( and, therefore, his costs) he spends on representing his clients, the father neglected to include a clause to make the purchase conditional on a satisfactory Condo Status Certificate!!
    In view of the large, unexpected payment the Buyer now has to pay the Condo Corp, her Realtor should have had his licence suspended for life! Additionally, his son should also have had his licence suspended for the Five year period for " failing to disclose a known defect or a defect that he ought to have known " to the Buyer and his Representative!!
    Moreover, the Buyer should be advised to sue the Seller, the Seller's Realtor and her own Realtor for their failure to disclose/ detect and protect her from the defects( cost of repairs= $53,000 ) which they ought to have known about plus costs !!
  • sidhu | 01 Jun 2015, 04:00 PM Agree 0
    Sorry! I meant $59,598 and not merely $53,000 , as stated in my recent comments!
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 06:18 PM Agree 0
    He directed his daughter who is also a Realtor for 1% to pick up the deposit cheque from Eric Martin Hospital (mental hospital) where the woman was residing because of her mental health issues. So for him to say that he didn't know is ridiculous.
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 06:22 PM Agree 0
    This was front page news in Victoria. This guy was not a one trick pony.
  • Scott | 01 Jun 2015, 06:31 PM Agree 0
    Respected realtor????
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 08:11 PM Agree 0
    "A respected agent has lost his license" IS THE HEADLINE!!!!! Where did you get the idea this is a RESPECTED agent???? It sure is not from the article.
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 08:55 PM Agree 0
    There are many agents like this one in Toronto. I made a complaint to the Toronto Real Estate Board about the conduct of an agent (failure to do what she got paid for), but nothing happened. After making the complaint, her Broker started threatening me and bullied me for many weeks. (To stop the bullying and threats, I had to block all emails from him and his brokerage). I registered a complaint about the Broker. Nothing happened. The Brokerage is still open and the real estate agent is still selling properties. Not convinced that the Ethics Board of Ontario do anything about unprofessional and unethical real estate agents and Brokers.
  • | 01 Jun 2015, 10:23 PM Agree 0
    FIrst of all where was the status certificate info and where was her lawyer...no agent is going to hide the fact that there would be $59,000 itn expenses,,,,theres more to this story,,,,report the whole story so it makes sense to us readers
  • ABRep | 02 Jun 2015, 02:38 PM Agree 0
    No comments about the Managing Broker? Brokerage fined as well? Despite Designated Agency the address of the victim would have been on CoPS, FINTRAC, for review to show if it were a care facility for mentally challenged folks. No bells 'a ringin' for oversight? Basic contract law with the seven elements of a lawful contract not examined? This representation relationship issue would have also been approved by the Brokerage if both agents were licensed there, regardless of which company was running the show. Sloppy and disreputable.
  • \kyle | 02 Jun 2015, 06:04 PM Agree 0
    He used to be a REMAX agent...probably where he learned to be a douche...haha
  • 2sad | 07 Jun 2015, 02:32 PM Agree 0
    Interesting bio on him ... I was a top producing real estate agent with REMAX for over 14 years and have been an agent for 20 years with many MLS Gold awards.
  • 2sad | 07 Jun 2015, 02:35 PM Agree 0
    Interesting bio on him ... "I was a top producing real estate agent with REMAX for over 14 years and have been an agent for 20 years with many MLS Gold awards."
  • 2sad | 07 Jun 2015, 02:36 PM Agree 0
    Interesting bio on him ... "I was a top producing real estate agent with REMAX for over 14 years and have been an agent for 20 years with many MLS Gold awards."
  • CondoMan | 07 Jun 2015, 03:11 PM Agree 0
    1%.... you get what you paid for. My only concern is that, among other things, he failed to have condo inspection. In 11 years of me selling real estate and 95% of it being condos, I have only seen one person do a condo inspection. How would an inspector find the described issue? Assuming that there was nothing on record with the condo Corp and the building is not very old, I just don't see how an inspector would be of benefit to the buyer. In fact, I just got a call from a client who bought a condo with me 2 yrs ago. Her ceiling collapsed from water seeping somewhere. The building is only 3 yrs old. There is no way and inspector would have seen anything at the time of purchase. Am I liable? Any comments would be appreciated.
  • RealtorRob | 07 Jun 2015, 06:10 PM Agree 0
    As a professional REALTOR and an advocate for people with mental disabilities, I feel he should have lost his licence for ever. Ethics cannot be taught. He is not a respected professional but an abuser and should never be allowed to deal with the public again. Put his name in your smart phones to remind you of what this person has done and to ensure that it doesn't happen again!
  • G. H. | 07 Jun 2015, 06:58 PM Agree 0
    If a realtor can't negotiate his own commission, how can he be expected to negotiate well, for either a buyer or seller?
  • Lorne Deschamps | 08 Jun 2015, 09:17 AM Agree 0
    mr Parson may have been found guilty of misconduct , but as far as knowing that the woman was mentally ill ? that is an illness that can be very difficult to determin ! Does the realtors assciation want the realtors to now play doctor ? there are limits and the associations are putting more and more presure and resposibilities on the realtors ! not sure where it will stop ?
  • | 09 Jun 2015, 02:58 PM Agree 0
    Always treat your clients the way you want to be treated and you won't run into trouble.
  • | 09 Jun 2015, 03:34 PM Agree 0
    This person still has his website on line ?
  • Don | 12 Jun 2015, 01:23 PM Agree 0
    5 years not enough punishment
  • | 15 Jun 2015, 11:58 PM Agree 0
    It was not a first offence. He lost his license for 6 months previously for forging a buyer's signature on an amendment. The fact that he didn't lose his license at that time boggles everyone.
Post a reply