Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Agent population growth outweighs provincial growth

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 24 Nov 2014, 09:18 AM Agree 0
No, it’s not you: the number of agents is growing faster than provincial populations across Canada, but that won’t decide the day, say industry players arguing it’s not the number of licensees that’s the problem.
  • Ron k | 30 Nov 2014, 08:16 PM Agree 0
    They have made it to easy to get a license, need those dues ?
  • Peggy | 01 Dec 2014, 06:20 AM Agree 0
    You have hit the nail on the head. Way too easy to get a license. This profession has taken a step backwards. Sadly, it has become a money grab from licensing all of the "unprofessionals".
  • Denis Pellerin | 01 Dec 2014, 08:51 AM Agree 0
    Hence the rise of the FSBO. The sellers want value and many feel they can do better on there own and it will not stop. FSBO is gaining ground with more positive word-of-mouth exposure and negative word-of-mouth about the poor quality REALTOR is increasing.
  • Betty, Toronto | 01 Dec 2014, 09:15 AM Agree 0
    There shouldn't be part time agents. Brokers should hire people who are 100% committed instead of supporting a 3 deal a year agent.
  • Glen | 01 Dec 2014, 12:54 PM Agree 0
    In British Columbia I point a lot of the blame at the regulatory body being the Real Estate Council of BC. Over the past decade or so we have seen them eliminate the following Rules: (a) a licencee was restricted to practising only real estate with insurance being the only exception (b) a licencee was required to live within an hour of his/her brokerage (c) a managing broker, to be in "active charge of his sales associates, was restricted to overseeing one office and if more brokerages were desired they required additional "agent" licences for those additional brokerages. Now a licencee can hold a licence and any other job they desire, there is no requirement to live any where near the brokerage, and a managing broker is allowed to have 4 brokerages anywhere in the province while under their one licence overseeing all 4 offices. This has seen the level of professionalism in our Province, in my opinion, diminish substantially. Many frustrations happen daily whereby professional sales associates have difficulty getting timely responses from licencees who are "absent" due to having other employment, there are offices in the lower mainland with hundreds of licencees spread over the Province, and numerous offices with no proper supervision. The Council states in their "propaganda" that managing brokers can be in active charge of their licencees through technology... I call BS to that as I am sure many licencees would agree. It is so unfortunate that our industry has been so compromised; I haven't seen organizations representing/maintaining professional practice for accountants, notaries public, engineers, etc opening up their professions as the real estate industry has been. The Council has a mandate to protect the public interest while their direction has shown the opposite. This isn't a post to rant about the "good ol' days"... it is to make the point that our industry has fallen further down in respect due to regulations diminishing professionalism and, what I would hope many professionals in our industry deem, proper service to folks who come to rely on us.
  • Broker Steve | 08 Dec 2014, 07:30 PM Agree 0
    Too many agents...absolutely. We're all tripping over one another to make a buck, meanwhile RECO, Orea, CREA and the various R.E. Boards not to mention Brokerages with hundreds of salespeople come up smelling good. There should be a licensing moratorium for a year or 2 to encourage a thinning out. Those who complain about lack of professionalism and part timers should perhaps re-consider the real problem. Too many squirrels chasing the same nut.
Post a reply