Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Agent’s death may cause industry to change

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 30 Sep 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Industry should look at the true benefits of open houses when it comes to the safety of agents, says sales rep’s son
  • Dawnell | 30 Sep 2015, 12:47 PM Agree 0
    I am fortunate enough to do mostly repeat and referral business, but I have my cell phone service set so my adult children can always track my whereabouts. I have had people posing as buyers try to get me to show them listings without meeting, or to pick them up at hotels etc. I will not do this for someone I have not met.

I do Video Open Houses instead of Physically hold open houses and I have a thriving business. No need to put yourself or your clients home in jeopardy with the technology we now enjoy. I do not answer unknown numbers as I get a lot of obscene phone calls which can really be disgusting. It's sad but we must protect our physical and mental health from predators, even more, because of what we do.

Stay safe out there.

• | 30 Sep 2015, 01:01 PM Agree 0
    I rarely do open houses and believe by appointment only for showings.We shouldnt become complacient on our safety.
  • RealEVancouver | 30 Sep 2015, 01:53 PM Agree 0
    Open houses usually involve a lot of traffic...it seems to me those are not the problem-individual showings to unknown parties are....
  • ReginaRealtor | 30 Sep 2015, 07:06 PM Agree 0
    I've been using the newer 3D Showcase technology in my listings (e.g., google "Matterport Camera") which I think is a decent replacement of the Open House as prospects can virtually view the house in a very dynamic way and Sellers can still restrict the camera from accessing certain areas if they have security concerns. If a Buyer really wants to view the house they should call an agent, realize that they may have to come to the office first, and go from there.
  • ME Inc.pro | 30 Sep 2015, 07:25 PM Agree 0
    I have all visitors complete the official Association Visitor Open House Registry. I text my family as to my whereabouts. I use a surveillance camera from my fav 'spy shop' and inform visitors about its need for all three, seller, visitor and myself. The dangers are real and I do not take chances anymore.
  • Bruce Dougall RE/MAX Kelowna | 04 Oct 2015, 02:25 PM Agree 0
    Open houses are always a security risk for sellers and potentially life threatening for realtors. Serious buyers use realtors. In 28 years in Real Estate I have yet to sell the Open House I held. Yes...I have received spin-off business from them so in that sense they are good.
  • judy | 04 Oct 2015, 02:46 PM Agree 0
    Yes, and here's a few other things to think about: most realtors get behind the wheel with people in their car they don't know, often with someone sitting right behind them, great way to get kidnapped or car-jacked. I like to have the buyers meet me and caravan in an orderly fashion. They get to chat privately and go their own way afterwards. Generally, if they can't afford a car or won't rent one to check out the community on their own, they won't buy a house.
    Some agents are putting in the floor plan in addition to pix of the houses with possessions, great way to help thieves, exes or the likes...
    If I am uncomfortable in a home or with a showing, I will try to catch the eye of a neighbor and chat a little. I always have notes on appts. and the contact # of who I am meeting in my diary in my purse in the trunk of my car and let someone know when to expect me back in to office or at home.
    Been doing this almost 30 years, have had a couple of disconcerting incidents, but still playing it safe!
  • Fellow Agent | 04 Oct 2015, 05:19 PM Agree 0
    Agreed Bruce - generally speaking it's two hours of wasted time you'll never get back. Stick to showing homes to Buyer's who are pre-screened and under agency contract and leave the open houses to new agents who have no leads.
Post a reply