Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Agents divided over impact of digital services

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 24 Jun 2015, 11:27 AM Agree 0
Online information is becoming more and more of a boon for tech-savvy agents but a thorn in the side of others still struggling to find common ground with digital services.
  • Scott Simmons | 24 Jun 2015, 12:17 PM Agree 0
    It's not just the agents that are old school.

Have you ever wondered why we need all the boards we have. In the old days they printed the MLS books, recently they did data uploading and taught courses. Now courses are on line and most agents do their own data uploading. The cost of all the boards is born by the agents in way of fees. We should look at combining all board in each province to one board for each. What kind of benefits do they provide in this era? Could one mega board service each province?

The next logical thing to look at is storefront retail brokerages and monthly cost for such services. I personally do not see any benefit and opted out years ago.

There is also the fact that agents are still doing costly print advertising.

Our industry looks to an outsider as a plump old school money making machine that is primed to get knocked off. Maybe we need to trim the fat and become leaner.
  • RealtyPoint | 24 Jun 2015, 12:43 PM Agree 0
    I took a quick look at and all I see are 10 agents in Calgary offering their servives (rather, buying leads) and yes, I know that is their only market for now.
    For a site that first started posting to their blog January 2014, they aren't gaining much for traction.

Just another example of an online lead generator looking at the commissions of home sales and trying to pick the pockets of realtors.

Yes, I know, there will always be a paying client/realtor for these types of services, but they don't build a business. They simple lower the common denominator.
  • Matt | 24 Jun 2015, 01:20 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Scott on a few points, and think agents should be focusing on their skills and what value proposition they offer. I know mine, as do so many others, and I think those that do aren't scared or worried about every time some other "miracle" service pops up. You know the saying "if it's too good to be true?", and "you get what you pay for" ? There's some truth to those, you just have to show it.

If a consumer thinks that the cost of a REALTOR is too much, they have several options...the market is open to competition. I'm not scared of it, and I don't think any other agent that is good at his/her job is either.

(now let's just wait for the troll to come make his comments...)
  • Bev | 25 Jun 2015, 12:02 AM Agree 0
    I agree with Scott. Why do we need these Board ? Most of them are useless money suckers. You are right, they should be combined.
    Some of them are like a peddler they buy from TREB and sell to Realtor. There is one that I know that should be shut down.
  • Mike | 25 Jun 2015, 11:27 AM Agree 0
    a lot of these new websites talk about how great they are and how successful they can make realtors but it remains to be seen how many of these digital tools provide actual benefit. Part of my responsibilities in my office is to deal with the advertising and marketing of a property and having your MLS listing be fully detailed with a full set of pictures still seems to be the best for drawing in interest. You search one of your properties on google and you'll see a host of websites with your home on them as realtors and other agencies try to get consumers to work with them. Local papers, real estate print ad magazines and flyers still have their place but a lot of people are on the internet searching for homes. Print ads still work because there is no centralized website for buyers to use other than a which isn't great to begin with.

You guys are absolutely right about the boards though, they fleece realtors and offer little in return.
  • | 28 Jun 2015, 04:29 PM Agree 0
    Where is the controversy? These kinds of services pop up and pop down. If a good agent is worried about something like this, they may as well look for another job.
Post a reply