Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Agents unfazed by mortgage rule changes

Notify me of new replies via email
Justin da Rosa | 21 Dec 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Real estate agents in Canada are not only confident new rules will have little impact; they are applauding CMHC’s efforts
  • | 21 Dec 2015, 11:49 AM Agree 0
    I really wonder who were the people who commented there would be any kind of negative impact on the buying public with this new regulation. And I also wonder who were the geniuses in the government who even bothered with this as a "cooling off tool". I would dearly like to see the numbers behind this. Please tell us the actual number of people who bought homes above $500,000 with less that 10% down in 2014 and 2015. I will stand corrected if there were enough to have any kind of impact but I have the suspicion this "smells" of a headline opportunity for the ruling party to look like they are making an effort to impact the hot market places. I would like to see a discussion and implementation of (a) a foreign ownership tax, ( Mexico has one) and (b) incentives for developers and builders to invest more in the multi family market other than high-rise condos. Semi attached and townhouse development could impact the 2 "out of sync." hot markets ( Vancouver & Toronto) more than this change to downpayment numbers, IMO
  • | 27 Dec 2015, 11:21 PM Agree 0
    This is not really doing much for our market,,,,,I think we need to concentrate on getting the first time buyers a non repayable down payment of some sort that will help them buy up to the $500000 range( since most markets are getting to the stage where this is all you can start with)
    as far as pricing,,,,
    Not many homes in many areas are under the $499900 range,,,,,,the days of a home for $300000 are leaving us,,,,,never mind the towns that are all a crazy price ( that used to be for the starter families)
    Lets get the politicians to figure something out ,,,,,,
    First time buyers Grants always made our market spur and allowed buyers to buy their first home,,,,,,
    Lets also loosen the mortgage rules instead of making everything so hard to qualify for......

Post a reply