Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

B.C. supports housing vacancy tax in Vancouver to assist with rental shortage (Real-Estate-Tax)

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 13 Jul 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
The British Columbia government will support the city of Vancouver's request for a tax on vacant housing
  • lotuslandrealestate.com | 13 Jul 2016, 11:13 AM Agree 0
    Yeah, it's those blimmin' foreigners again. Don't we wish they'd just send us all their money and receive nothing in return?
  • judy | 26 Jul 2016, 05:35 PM Agree 0
    I can see a one-time charge if the property is in dis-repair, but more to the point is that many home-owners do not want to put their investments at risk by putting tenants in them. Only 1/2 month's rent for damage deposit! Limited increases on rents each year, when the property taxes, maintenance, etc. skyrocket, in-ability to get back-rent from "stones". Lengthy notice to vacate if sold, etc., etc. etc.
    Really, the BC laws are so slanted in the tenants' favour why risk a bad tenant? The rate of return is so poor, it is sometimes better to have "no one" than "any one". What does this do to mom and pop investors, or to folks who have a second home to get away from bad weather in their retirement? Or need a second place because one works in another town? The property owners have paid tax on the dollars to purchase and maintain their properties, how many times can they be held up and dictated to?
    How many ways can hard-working people get screwed while they are expected to support a large segment of society with no drive, addictions, some who will not live within their means, fingers and eyes glued to the latest I-phone, and their heads up their A----?????
Post a reply