Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Boards: it’s time to step up

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 03 Dec 2014, 09:28 AM Agree 0
Agents call for action to better educate “desperate” rookie sales reps who have little or no back-up.
  • | 03 Dec 2014, 05:12 PM Agree 0
  • | 03 Dec 2014, 06:56 PM Agree 0
    Maybe a mentorship or practical component needs to be fulfilled.
  • John | 04 Dec 2014, 10:55 AM Agree 0
    No need to "limit" the number of new licensed Realtors. Simply make the courses University level and that will help the profession.
  • Denis Pellerin | 04 Dec 2014, 01:10 PM Agree 0
    I agree with all the comments thus far - great input.
  • Syed | 06 Dec 2014, 03:02 PM Agree 0
    Rather than limiting the Licences, there should be a monitoring committee on Brokerages. I was shocked to hear a Broker/Owner having seminar that was an absolute mislead to the agents. The Brokerages don't even bother to have a periodical in house meetings on different topics of the Industry. Rather they are busy in opening Branch over Branch. Most of the Broker/Owners are busy in adding up the sales volume rather than building a Quality Team of Professionals. The Agent's some time doesn't even know where is the "confirmation of Acceptance" in the Offer. Unless there comes a tight belt on Broker/Owners the unprofessional agents will be around.
  • Rick | 07 Dec 2014, 07:13 PM Agree 0
    I believe that, first the students should do a lot more research before entering a profession, example Doctors, Lawyers etc. Second they should chose a Brokerage not just because that company has has done a really good job in branding themselves but to ask what type and how extensive are their training programs.
    I think that they should teach more about how to handle money in high school and how to make money and be successful in Real Estate in the OREA courses.
    In Real Estate the boards were set up to be our voice locally, OREA provincially and CREA nationally not to train that's the Brokers job (yes I know OREA has been given the responsibility of teaching the courses).
    As a person entering into a profession they have to take some of the responsibility of due diligence and the Brokers/Managers upon accepting a new licencee must take on the responsibility of properly training theses new people and if they don't want to, don't accept them into their brokerage.
    The Brokerages not doing their job has created a whole industry unto itself, Real Estate training. If the Brokerages were doing their job properly there wouldn't be a need for outside training or trainers!
  • rascan | 08 Dec 2014, 07:59 AM Agree 0
    The education is fine. Making the lessons longer or more intense would only get you the book wise students and hurt people that could be great. Too often I meet smart university educated people and they are awful sales people. The membership fees and the requirements to join boards is an issue. This hurts all sales people, choking them. I also see brokerages fining their agents for lack of performance, how does adding more financial pressure help a struggling agent? I suggest you step up and mentor these new people. Reducing the number of new reps won't make you a better agent. The boards should either be eliminated or more competition to the boards so agents have choices. If I had the choice I would not be apart of my cities board, but because my broker is, I have to be.
  • Rick | 08 Dec 2014, 09:44 AM Agree 0
    I agree that the local boards are redundant. Keep OREA and get rid of the local boards because they don't do anything for us anymore, except cost a lot of money. ( My board employees are in a union!) We use Millennium which has nothing to do with our board, it is a separate company that we pay for.
  • Edward | 08 Dec 2014, 06:16 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Rick.

These so called members who are handling OREA/RECO are just thinking in terms of making most money from the agents. That all.
    WE learn things in books that are not being practised in the market and these old farts sitting at the top level ignore all such things.
    Openly you can see in the listings, every practise that we learn are being openly ignored by agents.

moment you make a mistake they are all over your ass to punish us with hefty amounts. All that matters to these guys is money. Its
    about time these so called board members or concerned people get out of their office and do something.
Post a reply