Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Canadian policymakers prioritizing wrong segment in red-hot housing—economist

Notify me of new replies via email
Ephraim Vecina | 10 Jun 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
The strategies currently proposed by various quarters to cool down Canada’s housing markets are woefully inadequate as they neglect an important segment, argues an economist
  • Joan McGuigan | 10 Jun 2016, 10:53 AM Agree 0
    Not in Montreal! This market needs a boost not boot straps! 80% of real estate agents here cannot make a decent living. You describe the Canadian real estate market by Toronto and Vancouver prices. Shame on you. Quebec real estate has been woefully low for years. Why not let the ROC know this and maybe spread the word that there are great buys in Montreal besides being a fantastic place to live. Let's hear more about La Belle Province for a change!
  • Mike | 10 Jun 2016, 01:03 PM Agree 0
    I've always wondered why CMHC doesn't set lending policies on a more regional basis like the Federal government does with unemployment Insurance???
  • Jim | 22 Jun 2016, 08:49 AM Agree 0
    Because, as I understand it CMHC does mortgage insurance, not lending. Banks lend.
  • Saj Karim | 23 Jun 2016, 11:20 AM Agree 0
    the article certainly makes a good point in terms of easing up on supply constraints such that it can take care of demand....understood

however, in a city like Toronto where they need at least 25,000 new housing units each year for immigration alone...and real estate bubble preachers will argue that TO is selling or will take delivery of 40,000 units each of the next few years...on the surface you would think that's a problem for prices. But in reality due to labour supply constraints and infrastructure, the city really can only physically supply 20-25,000 units per year anyway

therefore tight supply regardless of acccomodating builders and permits etc

also the city has GREEN space constraints so the city core can't really grow a whole lot more, and thanfully too....we should remain strict on green space...its the rarest commodity in any city today!

Vancouver with its physical geography restrictions is likely in a similar situation
Post a reply