Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Cease and desists letter sent to agent sharing sold data

Notify me of new replies via email
Justin da Rosa | 08 Sep 2016, 12:19 PM Agree 0
A website that shares Toronto’s sold data with subscribers has been “temporarily suspended”
  • Door Opener | 08 Sep 2016, 12:33 PM Agree 0
    95% of agents who struggle earning commissions pay for these legal battles with their course costs and annual fees.. THe Dinosaur tour guides who keep collecting outrageous fees are the same members of entitlement who let treb sell the road of easy money with their 3 course lottery license ..where u barley need a high school diploma
    No matter how hard u work there are too many agents to DIVIDE UP THE SPOILS
  • Jagdeep Singh | 08 Sep 2016, 12:39 PM Agree 0
    Not sure why Mr. Beach wouldn’t clear this up with TREB before offering the sold data. If every person who didn’t follow the rules complained because they got reprimanded, then what’s the point of having any system anyways? By offering information that his rule-abiding colleagues are not offering, isn’t Mr. Beach playing an unfair game and undermining the credibility of the entire profession?
  • Halifax NS | 08 Sep 2016, 12:40 PM Agree 0
    Sounds like sour grapes "door opener" . Plenty of other career choices out there for you and your so called 95%.
  • Offended | 08 Sep 2016, 12:41 PM Agree 1
    To the Door Opener: a 3 coarse lottery "really" get a grip you are crying to a select few, most agents are hard working and do a good job, yes there are exceptions to the normal in all walks of life but your comment is insulting and has little to do with the article posted.
  • Lex Sheng | 08 Sep 2016, 12:41 PM Agree 1
    The general public don't really know how to analyze this data, most can't even understand the date professional realtors put together with full summery. What makes the competition Bureau know any better?
    Data is just data until you know how to analyze and how to use them unless the government or competition bureau is willing to teach the general public the data that's given out is just number that will confuse everyone buying and selling. This market analysis takes months if not a year to really understand and execute properly even as a professional to understand how to use all the data.
    Leave it to the professional to help. When customer or clients request for it we do it free anyways.
  • DL | 08 Sep 2016, 12:58 PM Agree 0
    giving away our most valuable tool, decades in the making, millions upon millions of dollars spent retaining our privileged knowledge base, why doesn't this moron and everyone who supports him try and develop their own stats? Can't make enough money doing it the proper way; marketing, developing a client base, clearly defining your focus and goals, servicing the way it should be done instead of giving it away just to get a lead!!!!! Wake up and smell the f@@3!g coffee. Since 1983 I have been developing a career, it's been up and down, but I never turned my back on my industry or our efforts. Those egregious idiots should not be allowed a brokerage.
  • SAles Data looker upper | 08 Sep 2016, 01:01 PM Agree 0
    Big Boys don't cry ....100,000 sales in GTA divided by 30,000 agents can u do the math? No matter how hard u work there is only so many sales
  • tour guide | 08 Sep 2016, 01:05 PM Agree 0
    tell that to ur fishy buddies at the docks
  • Tired of Crybabies | 08 Sep 2016, 01:20 PM Agree 1
    As an agent in another province, I can say that good agents exist across the country. But we have given our data away for too long. If someone really wants to know what their neighbours' home sold for, they are free to go to the Land Titles office to get that info. We are not obliged to release that info, and I don't think we should. What's next, do we all need to post our T1 Generals in our windows? Health reports? What happened to privacy?
  • DL | 08 Sep 2016, 01:41 PM Agree 1
    Hey door opener, it's wide open for you, take that door and leave our industry, you're obviously part of the 95% who can't make a decent living, nor do you have a high school diploma...how do you spell barely?
  • Halifax NS | 08 Sep 2016, 01:46 PM Agree 0
    Then get another job and stop crying.
  • Slight of HAnd | 08 Sep 2016, 05:10 PM Agree 0
    the magical tour guides have spoken ....look up comparables on their monopoly website , gas up the taxi, open doors , shoot for a comparable on negotiations .....Now that is smarter than a 5 th grader for sure..

take a 3 month, multiple choice questionaire course and UR DOOR OPENING/touring Guideing handling the biggest transaction you will ever do...

How do they say it is their DATA...The home owner owns the sale price..they trick u into letting them add it to their data base..
  • Just Me | 08 Sep 2016, 06:50 PM Agree 0
    Is it fair to say that most people now a days are knowledgeable of the market trends, pricing and getting real estate information from so many sources. Us hard working agents still do our due diligence when listing a home, learn about the area, schools and we bring valuable information to the Buyer and work hard to earn a buck. Why the hell should the information we pay as part of of TREB Dues get put out there for free for the public to view. Another reason why we are loosing alot of listing due to these so called "Com Free" listings becoming more and more popular because "Buyers" think they know too much and not need our services.

Best of luck...
  • 1000-2000 ttoal fee | 08 Sep 2016, 07:53 PM Agree 0
    not debating there is a place for tour guides, door openers , offering some info on a area, taxi service,.....BUT NOT WORTH 5-6 % of todays prices!!!

• carole | 08 Sep 2016, 09:21 PM Agree 0
    Long overdue is the tightening of our rules and regulations. It seems anyone can get a licence today without really working for it. So easy to tell when you are doing an offer and have to continually correct the offer on behalf of the other agent and when they say "my broker said you will correct it" just not acceptable. Time to make it tougher and to enforce the rules stringently. As far as sharing sold data that is definitely against our rules and regulations as well as the privacy act.
  • Sneaky Clauses | 08 Sep 2016, 09:35 PM Agree 0
    If Sold Data is so private and sacred why do agents hand it out like candy to win business for selling or listing!!! It is the 80%-90% tool to negotiate a deal..5th grader could use sold data and shoot for that price or more..especially in a market with little supply..

This Data is not trebs or agents... it belongs to each property owner and somehow we get suckered into letting these over charging realtors take advantage of it... and on top we pay outrageous fees for them to monopolize it....Realtors should point out to property owners they are taking this info with some clause somewhere hidden in the listing / AoPS...let the owner decide what can be done with his info and should be pointed out AT ALL TIMES!!!!
  • BDA | 08 Sep 2016, 09:42 PM Agree 1
    "Market Evaluations" are just that - Evaluations by professionals who did, and continue, their education in real estate markets, statistics, law, and more; have experience in real estate markets, statistics, law, and more; and pay large professional yearly dues to retain their professional licences, and further their profession. I still don't understand fully why Realtors are required to provide their Intellectual Property for free - to the public and to the Competition Bureau? I always thought providing market evaluations was in a listing presentation for the purposes of pricing a property for sale only.
  • Evaluator | 08 Sep 2016, 09:57 PM Agree 0
    Sounds so scientific!!! LOOK UP THE COMPARABLE AND SHOOT FOR IT AN SEND TO LAWYER WHO HAS A REAL LAW DEGREE,hire areal structural engineer etc check out property..AS IF A AGENT IS RESPONSIBLE for their advice.. I Guess 4-6% for advice sounds reasonable!!!??

I guess that is a good price, structure looks ok, etc but we should get a REAL LAWYER, ENGINEER inspect it...more 5th grader skills

Would like to know who the data real belongs to...I am sure there is a clause that GIVES REALTORS tis in a sneaky way..I have never heard a realtor say u are signing over ur sale price for us to use at our will...we can hand it out like candy but to share no..it is only SACRED if someone in the public wants it ,,but if I can make a sale or get a lisitng...open the flood gates and let ur private info flow to anyone we want
  • | 09 Sep 2016, 09:56 AM Agree 1
    Been selling RE since 1984 - worked every kind of market. Nothing as crazy as the current market in the Toronto area. SOLD data is collected and shared on MLS boards so that Realtors can use ALL of the sold properties' information and images for comparison or adjustment purposes. This enables Realtors to better serve their clients. MLS boards are paid for by their members. Data is collected, stored and maintained by the MLS board at the expense of the members.

If TREB is forced to give away our proprietary property, well hey, then I want some free use of the gym club and the golf club. And TREB is also not a library where you get information for free while it is funded by tax payers money. If the competition bureau forces TREB to make this information available to the public, it should be paid for by the public. And once the public get this information, who is going to help them analyze and dissect it? Ha! New profession created.

Without SOLD data Realtors can not project the probable sale price, be it in a down market or an up market. By analyzing the sold properties, adjusting for differences, watching the upward sale prices during a 7 week period prior to listing a property I was able to get my Sellers $41,000.00 more than a recent comparable sale.

Without SOLD data we also can not show our Buyers what's going on in the market. We can advise them how to prepare for a successful purchase, but not without SOLD data. Asking prices are unknown future sale prices. SOLD prices are a fact. SOLD prices in the registry office can be outdated information. Appraisers and banks rely on SOLD data (sometimes outdated). SOLD data from sale date to closing date belongs to the Seller and the Buyer and the Broker(s). And to the MLS board by agreement. It is not public information.

My thoughts.
  • | 09 Sep 2016, 11:16 AM Agree 0
    You need to check your facts before you start trashing the real estate board. They do not provide or promote the real estate licensing courses.

• Matt | 09 Sep 2016, 01:56 PM Agree 1
    @Door opener, tour guides, whatever you want to call yourself.
    Back again? Here to make comments that have little or nothing to do with the article, spout your misinformed opinion for a reaction, then just repeat yourself anytime someone asks you a question?
    Why don't you sign in to comment? Use your real name? Tell us what YOU do for a living?
  • 80's dinasours | 09 Sep 2016, 06:34 PM Agree 0
    u need a makeover for ur realtor skills and ur 80's look ..I think I can help but it will be tough
  • Halifax NS | 10 Sep 2016, 10:26 AM Agree 0
    We have a site in NS that anyone can sign up for and its free and has all the data you want. But guess what the top agents are still the top agents in the market. Why because they work their ass off.

This clown making all these negative comments is one of thousands that think all we do open doors or drive people around. They get into the business and soon find out is a lot more than that.

Hard work pays off.

you should try it sometime
  • Dinasours | 10 Sep 2016, 11:44 AM Agree 0
    Clowns are fun and and you can hire at reasonable price!! Not angry overpaid tour guides...nobody is worth 4-6% to look up comparables, tour ,taxi..the model was created in low price era 60-70's... they hire lawyers to hold onto this dinoasour model which is paid by the new entrants who see and think the easy gravy train by taking a 3 month multiple choice course...and I am touring making easy street
  • Gary Little | 11 Sep 2016, 02:23 PM Agree 0
    Why would he clear it with TREB? The Competition Tribunal's ruling initially gave him clear authority to do exactly what he did. Now, of course, that decision has been stayed pending appeal.
  • Halifax NS | 11 Sep 2016, 02:56 PM Agree 1
    Dinasours, who made you in charge of who is overpaid and who is not. There are plenty of options out there for buyers and sellers. If they don't want to pay 4 to 6%. Simply don't.

Stop crying..
  • Jurassic Park | 03 Oct 2016, 10:37 PM Agree 0
    Haha...

"Door Opener", "Tour Guide", "Dinasours", etc! Your still hear conflict-engineering after all this time???

WOW! I haven't been on this site for over a year and I see your still using the same limited words, phrases, etc! Seriously???

Well... my apologies on behalf of every industry out there (including real estate) that you've obviously failed in! But really, ya gotta blame yourself on that one. It's not the other hard working people out there.

Lol... you have a lot of anger inside you. It's been like this for quite a long time. Have you tried getting some help?

• Matt | 03 Oct 2016, 10:51 PM Agree 0
    @Jurassic Park
    Crazy, isn't it? I think most of us here simply treat him (or her, who knows) like a petulant child and ignore his silly outbursts, but I like to engage him every so often. I look at it like entertainment! It's almost fun (in its own twisted way) to listen to him stumble over himself in constant denial of every shred of evidence provided to him.

I'm almost looking forward to his responses now that we've fed him again! Hahaha!
Post a reply