Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Chinese-only signs cause furor in community

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 28 Sep 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Chinese-only signage, including real estate, still prevalent in Richmond despite education blitz
  • Nav Canada | 28 Sep 2015, 12:30 PM Agree 0
    Canadian have lot of tolerance but there is a limit.All street signs in Canada are for Canadians whose official language is English.
    Isn't mandatory that you must know how to read and write in one of the language.There are exceptions for the older folks who are new Canadians.All street signs must be in English as well as other language if the area is predominated by certain culture.
  • CommonSense | 28 Sep 2015, 12:49 PM Agree 0
    Why not just have all signs in plan English and In French, as they are our official language? If people are unable to read, then they can learn and adapt
  • Welcome to Canada! | 28 Sep 2015, 01:03 PM Agree 0
    LOL whats wrong with that? In Quebec its against the law to put up an English sign... I would think the French people are going to be really upset with these signs... We need more diversity. Soon it will be little cities with fences up, but as Canadians, we are not allowed to say anything because it might offend, well-Everyone! Except for us Canadians, we have no opinions on these matters. "Only visable minorities and women may apply for this position." No problem, everything is good here in Canada, it's a nice place to change...

A mosaic.
  • RealEVancouver | 28 Sep 2015, 02:47 PM Agree 0
    it is ridiculous...and it is not just signage-there is a food court in one of the malls where no one will serve me except one vendor. Having lived in Asia for 2 years, I love the food but they must be colluding not to help me as one guy actually left his stall to come and get me after a couple of vendors just ignored me when I tried to buy lunch. It is absolutely unacceptable not to have English on the signs. Richmond council should be ashamed of itself.
  • Sofia Stane | 28 Sep 2015, 03:42 PM Agree 0
    Canadian have lot of tolerance but there is a limit.

ENGLISH must be all over....in a while every culture will have their language in advertising and this country will turn in third old country with no rules, lots of corruptions, crimes, stilling and so on....WAKE UP WAKE UP CANADIANS
    Take the Australian sample: the Australian government allow only English and ONLY the NORMAL CLOTHES, without black masks and so on...

• A real libertine | 30 Sep 2015, 04:14 PM Agree 0
    We haven't defined our culture. Canada is a young culture and ethnically diverse and I believe this has caused identity issues. If a chinese vendor discriminates then it's no different than any other discrimination faced from all ethnicities. However, it shouldn't be tolerated in any form and I myself grow tired of the language clutter in the lower mainland. Official languages are not and hopefully never will be mandarin or Cantonese. I wish I could move out of this overpriced and pretentious city, it's a real estate time bomb. In accompanying articles it's mentioned that it's "affordable" to live here. That is a sick joke as the average price of purchasing a place is $1,000,000. But then again we are all millionaires and if not there is always lovely surrey central and scottsdale where hindi and sikh signs line scott road.
  • | 02 Oct 2015, 07:37 AM Agree 0
    I CAME TO CANADA WITH MY FAMILY IN 1960. MY PARENTS WENT TO NIGHT SCHOOL TO LEARN ENGLISH.
    I AM A PROUD CANADIAN AND STILL LOVE THE COUNTRY WHERE I WAS BORN.

WHEN I VIEW THIS PHOTO IT IS DISTURBING TO ME. I THOUGHT IS WAS A PHOTO FROM CHINA.

WHY A CHINESE BUSINESS DOESN'T WANT OTHERS THAT CAN'T READ CHINESE, KNOW WHAT THEY ARE SELLING?

THAT IS THE QUESTION. IF THESE BUSINESS PERSONS WANT TO DEAL WITH THEIR PEOPLE ONLY, THEY SHOULD STAY IN THEIR BELOVED COUNTRY. IF WE DON'T SPEAK UP, SOMEDAY THIS WILL BE A HUGE PROBLEM FOR OUR CHILDREN.

I AM PROUD THAT WE EMBRACED THIS WONDERFUL CANADA, WHILE STILL ENJOYING MY TRADITIONS AND CULTURE IN MY HOME!

T. ASPROSKI
Post a reply