Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Closing gifts agents might consider for successful transactions

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 11 Jan 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Agents have a lot of time to think about the best closing gifts for their clients, and only little time to give it after the sale. Prepare ahead!
  • Matt | 11 Jan 2016, 12:35 PM Agree 0
    Wow, those are some expensive ideas! The average home in my area is 200k or less, so the commissions are nowhere near what some of the perceived image is! In my case, I've been doing woodworking since I was a kid, so when one of my clients buys a home, I make them a custom cutting board. It's unique, high quality, and something that they'll likely use on a daily basis. I even have a few other agents that come to me to make them cutting boards as well!

So if you want a less expensive, but just as impactfull closing gift, try that out. (or contact me, and I can work something out with you! lol)
  • DouglasC | 11 Jan 2016, 12:38 PM Agree 0
    Over my 40 years in treat estate I have presented numerous types of closing gifts ranging from my signature white cut flowers to deluxe kitchen knives even in one case a refrigerator. Oddly enough the present that was consistently the best received was a bottle of champagne bearing our company label and wrapped prettily in clear cellophane with a large and festive red bow. It was produced by Hillenbrand wines, tasted great, and cost $11 bottle. Go figure.
  • D Johnson | 11 Jan 2016, 12:53 PM Agree 0
    best house warming gift I ever did was -- for years I would give a giftwrapped brass mailbox which I would have engraved with sellers last name -- clients loved them and when they would move after looking at it every day and remembering who gave it to them I had outstanding repeat business when it came time for them to move on - many would ask did they need to take the box with them or would I be buying a new one -- the prices were not great but the personalization made a world of difference
  • Mish | 11 Jan 2016, 04:25 PM Agree 0
    Love the idea of the mailbox.can you share where you can get but these and get them engraved?
  • Jon | 13 Jan 2016, 12:12 PM Agree 1
    I have given big gifts and I have given cheap gifts, but the only consistent response come from being there with the keys on closing day. I can bring sandwiches for a move, a bottle of champagne, cookies or flowers and they will be received well if I am there to make sure everything is great. A round trip vacation or a bicycle really just sound like buying the business.
  • Matt | 13 Jan 2016, 01:22 PM Agree 0
    Jon, I agree with you 100%.
    In all honesty, giving a closing gift is little more than just what you said...an attempt to buy their repeat business or referrals. If you can't impress your client enough with the service you provide that they already offer these, than buying them something when they close a deal isn't going to sway them over.

If you're giving a closing gift to a client, the only ethical purpose is to say "thank you for trusting me with this important stage in your life", and the monetary value becomes irrelevant.
  • Cathy | 18 Jan 2016, 12:50 PM Agree 0
    I give out fire extinguishers with my label on them. Everyone one knows if you were to have a fire - you would do anything to go through the fire to get to your family members including your pets. Average price in my area is 250K. I like giving at least two - one for the master bedroom and one for the kitchen. If he loves working in the garage - I will buy one for that area.

It is great for referral business as well. Especially when I explain about the master bedroom fire extinguisher. A firefighter told me this tip a long time ago. As a great pop-by I will get them recharged at the 5 year mark if they haven't done so already.
  • | 25 Jan 2016, 08:49 AM Agree 0
    A $30,000 gift! No wonder people think we make too much money.
  • Gloria | 26 Jan 2016, 12:14 PM Agree 0
    In many areas we are hard pressed to make $50,000 in a year... how can you fathom giving $30,000 away for one client transaction! Yes, no wonder people think we're rolling in it if writers publish articles like this... sheesh!
  • Yvan | 07 Feb 2016, 03:23 PM Agree 0
    I am interested. Where are you located and what is your email address?
  • Yvan | 07 Feb 2016, 03:39 PM Agree 0
    Matt,

I am interested to your custom made cutting board. Where are you located and what is your email address?
  • Matt | 07 Feb 2016, 05:28 PM Agree 0
    @Yvan
    You can get me with mjohnston2@remax.net
    I'm in Southern Ontario, but we ship all over.
  • Matt | 07 Apr 2016, 11:57 AM Agree 0
    Yvan,

I didn't hear from you, not sure if you saw the message or not. Hopefully you have notifications turned on. You can also click on my username or picture and it will take you to my profile. Contact info is there.
Post a reply