Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Competition Bureau comes out swinging

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 25 Sep 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
The long-awaited showdown between the Competition Bureau and TREB over MLS data has begun
  • | 25 Sep 2015, 04:11 PM Agree 1
    The public also craves the latest iPhone. That doesn't mean it should be free or that the public should automatically get access to all of Apple's code so it can be reverse engineered or copied.
    Beyond the privacy concerns are more fundamental concerns regarding the government's right to infringe on proprietary information and technology developed and paid for by an individual or organization, whether that organization is a corporation, trade organization or whatever.
    Why is the CB not going after public access to insurance industries' data? Or the information the banking industry compiles as part of their decision making processes?
    Should I be allowed access to what my neighbour's mortgage loan terms are? I mean obviously it could help me negotiate my terms, right?
    Wrong. And therein lies the rub. Just as no two circumstances are alike in determining terms for a mortgage loan, no two properties are completely alike enough to be able to assist the average person in determining what theirs may be worth.
    So what do you have?
    1) Privacy issues
    2) Government infringement and regulation on the use of privately funded, developed and collected intellectual property
    3) Public access to raw information that is meaningless and is likely to cause confusion unless interpreted and compared properly

Come on Competition Bureau, give up on your witch hunt that was started by the previous commissioner simply due to past personal relationships with bitter people who did not have sustainable business models.
  • | 26 Sep 2015, 03:14 PM Agree 0
    100% agree. There is enough competition out there. I as a realtor am not worried about who is undercutting their commission.
    Those who do usually don't stay in business long anyhow. The price of business is still low. It has been for over a 100 years.
    The public appreciates a realtor who is good at their job.
    Most people eventhough curious would not like to see their own private data exposed for just anyone to see.
    Curiosity is human nature.
    Why not publish insurance rates?
    They are a complete rip off.
    I'd like to challenge the Competiton Bureau to force insurance companies to reveal who is paying what and why for their car and home insurance. I'd also like to know what their payouts are.
    We can go on and on.
    Privacy is number one.
    If buyers are working with agents they'll get to know what they need to know to make an educated decision.
    If you ask sellers whether they'd want their private information published 100% of them would say NO!
  • RealtorDefined | 03 Oct 2015, 03:42 PM Agree 0
    Well said Real Estate Professional! The public (the government and the competition bureau) has to understand that not all information is good information. Let's say for instance, that for some economic reasons, a home had been sold at a price of 10K$ to 100K$ less a few years prior to be on the market again? It would be detrimental for that sellers at that point. As a Real estate professional I know for a fact that the objective of keeping sensitive informations is for the benefits of buyers and sellers, not for Realtors!
  • RealtorDefined | 03 Oct 2015, 03:57 PM Agree 0
    I cannot say for other provinces in Canada but in Quebec, all the informations on the sales, history, titles etc. is public. It 's available on the Registre foncier du Québec for a small fee. Nonetheless, you have to have the knowledge and competencies to interpret the informations know the history that only an experienced Realtor can make out of it. Those companies that are pressuring to make it public have their own means and are motivate by the ideo of grabbing the data only to use it for their own means and agendas, for one, to make a profit out of it by attracting people to their websites. On the other hand, Realtors are under the radar, regulated by-laws, code of ethics, and have a huge responsibility when representing a buyer or a seller.
Post a reply