Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Court weighs in on TREB motion

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 22 Sep 2015, 02:45 PM Agree 0
A decision has now come down on a TREB appeal that would have transformed its upcoming hearing against the Competition Bureau
  • Nick Slezinski Calgary | 22 Sep 2015, 06:16 PM Agree 0
    I do not agree that anyone has the right or gall to suggest ANY Real Estate board acquired information must be made public ! Not a decision for any judge to make ! Not much different than your driving history compiled by Feds or Provincial Govt. is to be available to the public ! Nonsensical to my personal thinking and opinion ! Reminds me of the "Witch Trials" in USA some years back !
  • | 22 Sep 2015, 08:21 PM Agree 0
    If this tribunal ends up siding with the Competition Bureau, TREB will now have an immediate case for appeal. Regardless of how arms length this Justice may or may not have been from the Realty Sellers v. TREB case in which his firm at the time was involved, he should have immediately recused himself from this case on that basis.
    There will be plenty of ammunition to claim a lack of impartiality. Mind you, Competition Bureau tribunals are not really known for their impartiality to begin with, considering the Bureau selects the panel.
  • Anonymous TREB Member | 24 Sep 2015, 11:12 AM Agree 0
    This whole process is ridiculous! Why should the government have or lay any claim to private information research. Statistics/information compiled regarding sales activity has been done privately---maybe TREB members should arrange for an IPO on the stock market and sell its research for a fee to the public (like everyone else including information that is requested from all levels of our very own government) that will then benefit the TREB membership. After all, is it not the work of the collective membership that actually creates all the stats? Income from this can then be used to lower our membership fees and the government can interfere and regulate all it wants. Just thinking!!
  • cheryl | 30 Sep 2015, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    Wouldnt it be a novel idea to have the Privacy Commissioner and the Commissioner of Competition Bureau sit down for coffee someday? Then perhaps we wouldnt be where we are today.
Post a reply