Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Daily Market Update

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 20 Jan 2015, 08:57 AM Agree 0
TD says housing boom masking other challenges... House prices continue to fall in Calgary... New website aims to cut commissions... Record home prices in Vancouver for 2014... Buyer sought lawsuit against agent over condo sale...
  • EGO Agents | 20 Jan 2015, 10:27 AM Agree 0
    working for what you pay for is such a dinasour REALTOR response!!! They keep selling their over inflated,unjustified ,bloated model.
    Plenty of people work tremendously hard,offer incredible services and do it for a lot less than ego agents think they are worth.

Plenty of Brokerages that offer to list for a 1,000 and sell for a1, them and lets stop the greed that society keeps pushing..
  • | 20 Jan 2015, 10:42 AM Agree 0
    I'm a Realtor and I work for ALOT of clients who tried the "cheaper"route first. They turn back to agents because their houses don't sell. So they're back where they started only they're wallets are a few thousand dollars lighter. These discount brokerages get paid for providing no service. It's a brilliant business model. Unfortunately , they're the only ones that win. Realtors are still in business because we provide a necessary service. Case and point.
  • Dinasours | 20 Jan 2015, 10:48 AM Agree 0
    another dinasour response "somebody used a low commissioned realtor and it didn't work" such a bogus defense...I Know lots of people who used a high commissioned agent and with no success and ended up using a low rate service with success..

too many agents, fees are too high. lawyers make only a 1,000 and they do just as much work, all agents do is look at previous sales shoot for that in lisitng and sales...they should be lucky and be appreciated that someone pays them a 1,000 for being a tour guide,taxi service
  • Denis | 20 Jan 2015, 11:01 AM Agree 0
    if a REALTOR is honestly doing a good job, the cost of marketing is more than $1,000. I'm one who is conscientious, I spend lots of $$ on the marketing of any listing I get, I get the results within my average selling time. I do not have any sellers regretting my services and have been awarded the distinction of Ultimate Service by my sellers. I do not have exceedingly high net before tax revenues and Oh yes, I do have an education.
  • Change is Coming | 20 Jan 2015, 11:45 AM Agree 0
    Lots of these agents say their clients are happy!!..Most of the clients are first time buyers, only owned one home,very little experience ,with little knowledge,emotions on how to sell their home or buy one.. like buying ur first car typically they get caught up in the emotion of it all...once they do some research,checking,internet searching they see how the over paid..and change their tune...time will change the process soon enough

Keep ur money in ur pocket and stop over paying tour guides.
  • Proud Realtor | 20 Jan 2015, 11:47 AM Agree 1
    Seriously! It is not unusual to work months sometimes years with a buyer to find the right home. My "taxi service" as you call it has the metre running all day, many days. Buying and selling a home is a process and when done well it takes time. And it sometimes ends up going nowhere when buyers pretend to work with their Realtor and then run off and do it on their own. Or they decide to renovate their existing home. No pay day. It is our job to be in the know so we also spend time in our "taxi" learning the market.
    BTW Who do you think pays for and keeps the Sales and property inventory records alive? No, not the new web based home seller start ups who sign up one agent to get around the rules and then access MLS data and call it their own. Realtor's pay and Realtor's share.
    Oh and BTW ask your lawyer what his fee will be if he charges for every hour it takes to work with a buyer or seller to research, look at properties, etc etc in order to put a deal together from start to finish. Not to mention the aftercare. Has your lawyer ever stripped wallpaper for a client?

• Denis | 20 Jan 2015, 12:05 PM Agree 1
    Sir or mam Ego Agents, Dinosaurs and Change is Coming. Change is always coming. The real estate business is massive and is dynamic, it continually changes and anyone worth there salt welcomes change. You can't be a REALTOR up to speed on your continuing education and courses or you would not be ranting and crying Oh poor boy pitiful me. Anyone and every pro know fees are all negotiable, so stop the baby stuff, lower your fee because you can and rack in the listings, the bucks and the kudos. Now go to work - I am!
  • high school dropout | 20 Jan 2015, 12:24 PM Agree 0
    bottom line ur model is a dying and u better work to scrape together every penny..buyer/sellers are becoming aware how easy and little research has to be I said new buyers and sellers get caught up in their first sale and don't realize how much there are dishing out ..big purchases, it can be very distracting and ego agents take advantage... how can any agent justify charging 3-5 % for tour service,taxi service, little paperwork.. they look at previous sales and SHOOT FOR IT!!!!! not rocket science,curing cancer, why do u think u don't even need a high school diploma to be a agent!!!

agents cry how much time they spend staring at the computer to see the new lisitng pop up!!! call client ,taxi service ,tour service ...whewwwww...need a brake..
  • Jackie Laurin | 20 Jan 2015, 03:03 PM Agree 0
    I'm humored by all this. We get paid for the service the client perceives as the merit of the service
    We don't set the fee, we ask for a fee, the client can say "yes or no" as he does with any other business person or company
    of his choice.
    Who has time to dissect this real estate fee ? Justify what you are asking to be paid for, if you have an unwilling buyer or seller
    paying the commission you as a realtor-business person have a choice, accept or decline. It is not complicated at all.
    Nor has it changed much in 40 years.
  • don't be a sucker | 20 Jan 2015, 03:50 PM Agree 0
    most buyers/sellers(in -experience/emotion) get caught up in the processs and will eventually see that what they pay doesn't justify what any agent charges/offers unless it is close to $1,000 total..

don't get so emotional in ur purchase and call a flat rate realtor who would be happy to give the same service for a fraction of the cost!!

Don't buy into the notion u get what you pay for ..there are plenty of people who will bust their ass to win ur business and give u everything they have.. ..ego agents just give you the fluff so they don't lose their monopoly...

• FSR | 21 Jan 2015, 12:25 AM Agree 0
    Some of you have it right. There is a choice! Yes, you do pay for what you get. And, if you are whiling to take a chance with your biggest asset, then go to it. Those who do are usually also the ones who later complain about the poor quality service or because their agent was this or that. Well, you got what you paid for!
    Stop with your foolish criticism and judgement of what someone else is or should be worth, take a look in the mirror and question if someone else can do what you better and for less. BUT, of course not!!! because you think you are it. Because you think you also deserve more..... because, because, because...... Why do you think you work harder than a realtor or anyone else? You assume!
    We all know a number of people who work a lot less hours than we do and earn far more. I personally know people I cannot understand how they earn the large amounts they do for what I may think is meaningless or may not even consider real work or a job. Yet who am I to judge or criticise. Good for them! Do I need to use they service? Someone obviously does. Do I or anyone have a choice to use them? NO!
    Remember, you also have a choice. Stop your foolishness and whining and make your choice. Look in that mirror!
  • pay $1,000 tops | 21 Jan 2015, 11:47 AM Agree 0
    More poor arguments as usual...I know plenty of people who paid full price for agents and got horrible service,bad advice...bottom line why take chances when u can get It done for 1,000. Lawyer will review the contract ..

tour guides/taxi service is is not worth 3-5%

Airline ,stock brokers use to have the same monopoly and voila!!!! Real estate industry has a strangle hold and they keep spending money that sellers/buyers contribute to for them to keep the stranglehold or the illusion we need them..
    as I said before most buyers/sellers only buy one or maybe 2 homes and have little experience/emotion and don't realize the bloated fees they are paying for little in return..

• Ken W | 22 Jan 2015, 11:27 AM Agree 0
    Most people are ignorant of the sales process. The dominant emotions involved in any market place are fear and greed. Apart from protecting sellers and buyers in the process, and providing good information, what we do that makes the process work is to deal with these primary emotions. We deal with seller greed by helping them lower their expectations of what their property is worth, and we deal with buyer fear by giving them information about what is a fair price to pay, and we give them the emotional support they need when fear takes over and they start looking for reasons to back out. This requires skill and this is primarily how we earn our fee.
  • bidding war greed | 22 Jan 2015, 12:44 PM Agree 0
    you deal with seller greed by creating a illusion of BIDDING WARS!!!!! you call that skill?? skill by shooting for a previous sales/comparable prices!!!??

Dealing with seller greed,ignorance is worth 20,000-50,000!!!!????

agents are bottom over paid for a s aservice that is unjustified!!! all ur hand holding for a 200,000 property or 10,000,000 property is the same!!!!

you are worth $1,000 and that is all...hopefully the buyers and sellers wake up on the illusions
  • realtor | 28 Jan 2015, 08:02 PM Agree 0
    dinosaur...maybe you should become a REALTOR(r), then you may appreciate what goes into marketing and selling a home. The time, the dollars, the travelling around with clients, many times all for nothing. I have had many clients tell me what i do for them is worth every dollar. Your answer is typical of anyone who is not in the real estate business
  • realtor | 28 Jan 2015, 08:09 PM Agree 0
    most of my clients are repeat and referrals. all experienced home are you talking about??
Post a reply