Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Daily Market Update

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 18 Mar 2015, 08:30 AM Agree 0
Canadian home price to fall 40 to 50 per cent... Prairie housing market weak: BMO... Canada's rental units on the rise...
  • SS | 18 Mar 2015, 10:16 AM Agree 0
    This publication would do well to raise its standard of reporting to reference originating articles and at least quote the author (canada home prices to fall..)
  • Sharpobserver | 18 Mar 2015, 10:20 AM Agree 0
    Hi - Who wrote the book you mentioned "According to Global News, his new book, When the Bubble Bursts, was released this month across the country"? I guess I'm going to have to Google it to find out! Sloppy reporting.
  • Sick & Tired | 18 Mar 2015, 10:31 AM Agree 0
    Who wrote the book?? You reference it but there's no mention of who wrote it. Indeed very sloppy reporting. I'd like his name to prove him wrong when the bubble doesn't burst. Every economist and real estate authority and bank have been quoted on the issue "The sky is falling' 'that 'the bubble will burst', that 'properties will drop 10%, 20% , 50% of their value, which is it?? Will someone make up their mind?? Nobody has a crystal ball. They all want to appear as experts. I am sick of everyone's BS.
  • | 18 Mar 2015, 10:32 AM Agree 0
    More than sloppy. I can really find no purpose this this rag.
  • Final straw | 18 Mar 2015, 10:34 AM Agree 0
    This article is the final straw for this camel. I'm unsubscribing and moving on with better news sources.
  • Boredtodeath | 18 Mar 2015, 10:36 AM Agree 0
    All these opinions put out as factual news is disturbing. The ACTUAL state of affairs is what I am interested to hear. As long as there are willing buyers there will still be sales. As long as interest rates stay lower, or go even lower, there will be Buyers. As for the WHOLE Canadian market being over-inflated - we all know that is not the case. There are other places in Canada that are giving great value at affordable prices. I plan on hitting 'delete" when your newsletter hits my inbox. Your 'headlines' are deceiving - smarten up.
  • rod | 18 Mar 2015, 10:49 AM Agree 0 opinion is.... anything to sell a few books scare tactics....just like the global warming threat.....had to change that to climate change when it did not happen so they could continue to draw huge sums of $.
  • Mo | 18 Mar 2015, 10:50 AM Agree 0
    Tiypical prophet. Predict something big, in the unlikely case that it happens, he'll be a genious if not, he'll go on to make other prédictions as people forget this one.
  • Peter | 18 Mar 2015, 11:02 AM Agree 0
    We may disagree with what gets posted but it is an opinion. We cannot just drink our own desired words. Those questioning the lack of name of who wrote the book might read the article again. It gives a name
  • | 18 Mar 2015, 11:05 AM Agree 0 it again Author Hilliard MacBeth is quoted in this article. At the very least, read the article.
  • Chicken Little | 18 Mar 2015, 11:11 AM Agree 0
    I knew the sky was falling! I knew the sky was falling!
  • | 18 Mar 2015, 11:13 AM Agree 0
    Again we have heard this message for the last 10 years... this is crap, anyone can throw out numbers, why publish this stuff
  • Charles S. | 18 Mar 2015, 11:27 AM Agree 0
    Readers complaining about no author should do just that, READ. The Author is Hilliard MacBeth as written in the article. Now, do not get me wrong, the writers of these REP articles are just regurgitation any garbage they can find. One moment they are quoting someone who says the markets are showing healthy signs and then the next they are quoting someone who says it is the other direction. Hilliard is just another one of those "Sky is falling" alarmists who is looking to get publicity for his own benefit. There is a plethora of these guys out there and people should take their advice with a grain of salt. The fact is the whole world is on shaky ground and Canada, just like every other country, is heavily influenced by so many factors. REP is no different than main stream media; looking to publish exaggerated and shocking articles to grab attention. This is by no means real reporting!!! Just trash!
  • | 18 Mar 2015, 11:57 AM Agree 0
    I have been reading this daily rag for sometime and have been getting discussed on the articles you have been putting in the daily news. After today's article of the "Canadian home price to fall 40 to 50 per cent..." was the final straw. I'm unsubscribing and moving on with better news sources.
    I am a professional (unlike these articles) Realtor in Alberta and continue to hear/read stories like these which are totally in accurate. Sure we have seen a slow down in the market in Alberta, which is to be expected when we are growing so fast and people, trades and contractors get greedy. These slowdowns help to balance the market prices and keep everyone in check!
  • Russ | 18 Mar 2015, 12:30 PM Agree 0
    Home prices to fall 40- 50% =sure. I threatened to unsubscribe on the next stupid , National Inquirer type article.
    Good bye !
  • judy | 18 Mar 2015, 01:14 PM Agree 0
    It has been my experience that a lot of writers are living hand to mouth and have a chip on their shoulder. They feel they can wield power by frightening everyone else and at the same time impress the boss or anyone else who feels powerless.
  • RJBest | 18 Mar 2015, 01:33 PM Agree 0
    A correction WILL occur as always, the cycle is the wild card;prudent debt management has always been the golden rule, forget that and yes your house of cards will tumble.
  • Lawrence Kobescak | 18 Mar 2015, 02:00 PM Agree 0
    While the Canadian market does have many sub markets here in the GTA the supply and the demand is what has caused the prices to rise. Prises will NOT fall just because they are "expensive". The reason why nobody takes these overvalued articles seriously is because unless there is a cause to shift the supply and demand, it would be impossible to forecast a decline from an event that does not exist (lower employment, loss of population or loss of population growth). While it is true that in sheer number that more rental units are coming onto the market, what is absent from their argument is that the vacancy rate has actually dropped. It's like saying that there are 10000 rental units vacant in a city of 1 million while back on 1950 there was only 1000 vacant with a city of 100,000. Surely there must be an over supply problem since the number of vacant rentals has risen by 1000% in that time. Oh and have you seen the estimated population growth between now and 2032? It's like 25% in the GTA. While I understand REP is just sharing the option of some random writer who probably doesn't even own a home, it's tiring to see people like the IMF talking the same way. It's like, don't you guys hire economists or something? Hey, like them. It's just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
  • Michael | 18 Mar 2015, 02:43 PM Agree 0
    Whoever wrote this article is irresponsible, putting it politely, without proper evidence, empirical data or logic in concluding the result of 40 to 50% decrease in real estate values. These so called "experts" lack the knowledge or ability to arrive at reliable conclusions and should be ignored. Let the consumers' market forces determine prices...AND....please, those who come up with these outrages, ignorant predictions should look for a new line of work!
  • Joe Peters, Royal Lepage Penticton, BC | 18 Mar 2015, 03:38 PM Agree 0
    This journalism is complete garbage. If you worked for me you would be FIRED on the spot for crap like this. Cheers!

• Traveller B. | 18 Mar 2015, 04:01 PM Agree 0
    The third sentence of this article states, "Author Hilliard MacBeth says the Canadian real estate market is poised for a painful 40 to 50 per cent drop in value when the bubble pops." Gotta stay sharp and not kill the messenger. Interesting intro and may cause me to purchase the book. Can't get enough doom and gloom.
  • | 18 Mar 2015, 04:19 PM Agree 0
    Fear mongering and lies.

There may be a few foreclosures that will sell for less, but in order for this to occur, people would actually have to sell their homes at reduced rated. Ironically the banks would not let them do that if people were stupid enough to do so. Sounds like banks trying to justify higher interest rates for borrowing (despite a low Prime Rate) to maximize profits. Shameful and misleading.
  • NOT the greater fool | 18 Mar 2015, 07:19 PM Agree 0
    Is the author perhaps Garth Turner writing under a pseudonym?
  • | 18 Mar 2015, 11:02 PM Agree 0
    Author referenced in the article is Hilliard McBeth. ....or am I reading the wrong article....seems I am in the minority of posts. Further....sensationalism the book could sell.....doesn't mean it is based on solid ground....if it holds some water....the author should be a multi-millionaire as he can act to position himself. .....wouldn't it be grand if we could see the future. Ha!
  • | 20 Mar 2015, 01:13 AM Agree 0
    Here we go again. Sensationalizing future markets. I am a Realtor located in Alberta and I can tell you from experience that unqualified exaggerations such as this are extremely 'dangerous'. I have been through two economic downturns during my career and experienced the negative impact this sort of reporting has on the market. Predictions, positive or negative do create panic to those buying or selling. Very, Very dangerous reporting.
    I will now unsubscribe to this site.
Post a reply