Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Disclosure and 'haunted' houses

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 31 Oct 2014, 09:22 AM Agree 0
You’ve disclosed the sticking windows, the old furnace and the leaky faucet – but what about the ghost that roams the halls of the house?
  • jbh | 31 Oct 2014, 04:10 PM Agree 0
    I thought this was crazy until two things happened.
    We rented a 100 year old house and my kids were afraid to walk around alone.

After we moved out, a friend said that the house had been haunted, but that he removes ghosts.
    He was able to remove 3 of the 5 ghosts, but one was really friendly and wanted to stay and the other was really nasty and wouldn't leave the basement. Apparently, this was the ghost that was scaring the kids to feed off their energy. Kind of like the movie with Boo.....

We moved into our new home and it really felt quiet. The kids went back to normal. Then we remodelled.
    Afterwards, my son claimed their was a ghost in his room scaring him at night, so he insisted on sleeping in my room on the floor, just to be safe.

We called in Spencer and sure enough, we had a few ghosts that apparently came in with the workmen. He did his thing and again our home became quiet. He also put something on the exterior doors that zap ghosts and won't allow them in.

Again, the kids have returned to normal.

Who knows? Apparently, I am too busy and cluttered to notice them. So I am told.
  • 25+ years a Realtor (R) | 31 Oct 2014, 06:36 PM Agree 0
    Years before I became a Realtor, I lived with a ghost. I moved into a cabin on 40 acres with no neighbours for miles. The ghost was that of the Woman who, with her husband, had homesteaded this property and built the cabin with timbers from the property. I was to be the caretaker of her extensive gardens until the family figured out what to do with the place shortly after her passing.

My first encounter was ALL the furniture and items in the living room being piled into a tall tower up to the ceiling, in the time it took for a quick trip to the bathroom. I did not hear anything from the open bathroom door, in the 1 minute I was in there. It took myself and a friend over 2 hours to move the furniture, plants and nick-nacs back in place, including a very Heavy two tiered organ.

Luckily, I figured out who the ghost probably was, and would call her by name, when ever things would happen. Because she never scared me, or did dangerous things, I did nothing about her "presents". I lived as her room mate for over 2 1/2 years. Her Grandson moved in to the cabin after I moved out. I warned him that she would be living with him there. He also had incidents occur, and was thankful he had been warned ahead of time.

A few years later when the property was sold by the Ghosts' non believing children, Tenants renting the place were rumored to be so spooked, that the owners could not keep renters in there. The abandoned cabin remains empty still, now 20 years later. It has been listed for sale on the MLS, off and on, several times. I don't know if it was ever disclosed? If I were to list it, ( or any other that had reported incidences of ghosts) I would insist that it be disclosed, as I have first hand experience that IT IS possible. Non believers, would think it nonsense, as did "The Ghost's" own Children. I believe there is an ethical and moral obligation to disclose, however, I also believe that "hear say" and "Rumors" are not things that litigation should rely on as evidence to support a legal suite in the court of law.

Personally, I would never want to purchase a home were the previous owners held Satanic Rituals, caused pain and anquish in their S&M basement chambers, or tourchered their pets. These things may not bother other people..... but how far must disclosure go.
Post a reply