Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Generational Homes

Notify me of new replies via email
SuzieStanford | 07 Nov 2014, 09:50 AM Agree 0
I have a multigenerational family as a client for the first time. What are the best ways to sell them? It seems like they’re ALL involved in EVERY decision which can be, at best, confusing. HELP!
  • Jose R | 07 Nov 2014, 12:10 PM Agree 0
    Try to figure out who is the top decision maker. Sometimes its even the kids. Then try to get the most information out of them because everybody else in the family will listen to them. That's what I do.
  • Gloria A. | 07 Nov 2014, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    Multi-gens are tricky because everyone in the home has a different need - student-aged kids need to be close to schools and public transport, adults need to be near highways for an easy commute to work, the elderly might want a bungalow... it's tough to juggle all those needs.

I suggest partnering with an agent who is experienced in these types of deals; that's the best way to learn as much as you can about the process.
  • SuzieStanford | 07 Nov 2014, 03:51 PM Agree 0
    The family is Canadian and not from an immigrant population. They converse well and thus are able to articulate their needs in great depth. It’s been a bit tedious to find the ‘top dog’ so to speak. A partner may be an option. Thanks! What’s the best way to find a partner agent? And what’s the best way to find a partner agent? And how would it work?
  • Mike Arthur | 17 Nov 2014, 07:37 PM Agree 0
    Two things occur to me. You need to do a self evaluation and determine where your strengths and weaknesses are and do something with them or about them. Find a coach or mentor to help you evolve. Secondly, if I might make a suggestion based on how I would approach this challenge.
    I'd sit them all down with a piece of paper with a line down the centre of them. Have each one write their, Must haves" on the left and wants on the right of the page. Just think of little kids telling you they need something when in reality them want something from you. When they finish. Collect their info on a flip chart and discuss what is really a, "have to have" for all and what are wants and can be sacrificed and get consensus on each point. They say a builder builds 7 houses before they get it right for themselves so how can someone just buy the right one. Once you get consensus, you have direction and control. Do this even with couples because quite often even a couple will have two different ideas of what their perfect house is. If you can't get them to agree so that have the same picture and you understand, you are destined to fail as you cannot find the house for them because you can't identify what you are looking for. In sales, this is termed a, "needs analysis) and it is often over looked by novice and unskilled sales people. Just think, in the medical profession, prognosis without diagnosis is malpractice. We as professions should be doing a needs analysis or diagnosis so we help our clients understand their problem and as the picture of their new home becomes clearer for them, then we have the needed info to solve their problem. Do you want to be the inept agent who shows buyers a hundred homes and who lets buyers tell you what they want to see or do you want to be the professional who collects the proper information and shows buyers 9-12 homes of which 2-3 would satisfy them and they write on one? Just consider for a moment, how much time and money the first process costs you and how much you gain in time, money, image, and reputation with the second approach. The discovery process will also uncover who the decision maker is during the process and if there is an influencer. Those who don't take control, get controlled! :-) Best of luck. Mike in Nova Scotia
  • Rookie | 18 Nov 2014, 11:55 AM Agree 0
    Outstanding reply Mike - that's really helpful for those of us who are relatively (3 yrs) new to this game - thanks!
  • SuzieStanford | 19 Nov 2014, 03:48 PM Agree 0
    Thanks for your amazing reply Mike. There’s a lot of good information here for someone like myself, who is new to the game.
  • | 29 Dec 2014, 11:42 AM Agree 0
    When you have them pre approved the bank or mortgage company will tell you how much of a mortgage they can afford. Then the basics
    how many bedrooms baths etc. Are they all capable of climbing stairs? Do they require a garage, etc. etc. Geographical location desired.
    Now armed with this information do your due diligence and make a list of properties that fall into this sphere.
    You can now tell them what they can have.
    Don't be hesitant in asking personal questions. You require a lot of information to service your clients properly. You are a professional
Post a reply