Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Here's a hot one... Should we open the MLS???

Notify me of new replies via email
Northern Grit | 03 Oct 2014, 06:54 PM Agree 0
Many of us feel, I know, that MLS data is 'ours' and by 'ours' I mean our profession's. But some are calling for even more relaxation of the protection of the data - see for eg the article I just read - http://www.repmag.ca/blog/justin-kua/i-dont-care-if-our-mls-is-blown-wide-open-182232.aspx I, for one, would be far more comfortable with the status quo - let professionals interpret the data for the general public. But I'd be interested to know, does anyone think differently... ?
  • Agent orange | 18 Nov 2014, 11:59 AM Agree 0
    The problem with just 'opening it up' is that the general public won't be able to generally interpret what's there = people thinking they can handle their own sale/purchase and inevitably a much worse deal than if they had used an Agent with experience. It's all very well to say well they'll learn, but by then it will be too late
  • JayListon | 02 Dec 2014, 02:50 PM Agree 0
    So what are some of the things I can do to demonstrate value? What are some of the things you do? I get an increasing number of people who are relying on sites like this?
  • Jackie Laurin | 19 Jan 2015, 01:32 PM Agree 1
    Yes.. I don't agree with the public having the same privileges of the MLS system, when we pay yearly fees to be part of the system and have rules and regulations of the MLS system created for the licensed registered real estate salespeople in the industry across our provinces, in Canada and as well the US it's so hot of a discussion I hear fire in real estate meetings. So much for our regulators that did not protect their registrants This passionate issue for me is hotter than political views.
Post a reply