Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

How complaining betters the industry

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 14 Jan 2015, 09:13 AM Agree 0
Just talking about bad agents won’t do anything to raise the level of professionalism in the industry. Here’s how a formal complaint can boost agent integrity.

• E. Harold | 14 Jan 2015, 01:02 PM Agree 1
    RECO does NOTHING about investigating unless an Agent stick his/her neck and risks being ostracised by the office of the complained about person - that office alerts ALL slsp Not to deal with the slsp making the complaint - we pay fees for this service ?????
  • | 14 Jan 2015, 01:46 PM Agree 1
    Yes... I have heard complaints and when I asked the agent why she did not register the complaint with RECO she said she did not want to risk not getting a deal when she was across the table on offer night from the agent she complained about. Double whammy as we assume that the complained about professional will act unprofessional once again in this example because he or she would negatively influence the complaining agent's offer!!! Full circle!
    Perhaps the complaint should come form the Broker of the complaining agent to protect their privacy and the their potential earnings?
  • Nick Boothby | 14 Jan 2015, 01:49 PM Agree 1
    E.Harold's comment is exactly why TREB has its anonymous DIS system to report the procedural errors of other Agents. RECO should have a similar anonymous "Crime Stoppers" reporting system. In many cases RECO's investigation would find self-evident proof of the matter complained about, without ever needing the complainant to give evidence in person, and thus to take the all-too-real risk of him/her self and his/her Brokerage being boycotted by the complained-about Registrant's Brokerage. In my view, unless RECO develops some "teeth" in this respect, its bark will continue to be thought far worse than its bite. (I've been told that anonymous reporting would result in far too many cases for RECO to investigate -- which reinforces the question: "What, then, are we Registrants paying for?")
  • | 14 Jan 2015, 02:01 PM Agree 1
    If I were to make a complaint my negotiation position for my client would be put at serious risk if facing a representative about whom I have registered a complaint. For that reason and that reason alone I will not risk putting my clients at risk.

I have witnessed many offences committed by other agents ... but dare not say one word. One major issue I have is with agents who do not remove sold signs within regulated time periods. Witnessing a sign for 2/3/4 months without removal is not fair competition. Perhaps the complaint process and manner though which a complaint is received should be given serious consideration - in order to fully protect the individual who works in the same field who raises issue with other individuals misconduct.

• | 14 Jan 2015, 09:26 PM Agree 1
    why bother complaining! they have not responded to my clients written complaint that the buyer entered the premises (on a scheduled visit) and did a major repair to the roof (without permission) in order to qualify for the mortgage! it has been almost a year now.
  • Larry | 15 Jan 2015, 10:18 AM Agree 1
    When you go to the RECO site and look up an agent, why are complaints against an agent not shown? I know of agents who have been disciplined by RECO but nothing shows when you look them up. This is information the public needs to know and is the reason they look the agent up on the RECO site.
  • A. Sheppard | 19 Jan 2015, 09:44 AM Agree 0
    it pits agents against each other personally and does nothing for the industry - complaints do Nothing to correct the abuse - why bother
Post a reply