Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Land tax could be extended

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 28 Oct 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Government may increase the reach of tax grab on homebuyers
  • Fred | 28 Oct 2015, 10:03 AM Agree 0
    This news really annoys me! We bought our condo and then sold it 6 years later. The city of Toronto got the transfer tax on both ends of the transaction. Honestly, why do they not call it a TITLE TRANSFER tax or something. If it is really a LAND TRANSFER tax then my 1,100 square foot condo sat on a VERY TINY portion of land - and that portion of land should have been divided 17 ways (17 storey building).

When housing prices are already higher than most folks can afford, what is the point of adding to the problem of AFFORDABLE HOUSING. The issue here is not really the tax, but the INABILITY OF GOVERNMENTS TO CONTROL SPENDING.

Frankly, there should be NO TAX on food, shelter, or clothing...the three necessities of life. Or, the land transfer tax should be capped at some low, reasonable level, like a transaction tax of sorts, not a percentage tax.
  • Steven L | 28 Oct 2015, 12:50 PM Agree 0
    If you voted Liberal than stop complaining. In 4 years time your head will be spinning so fast at the increased tax burden the middle class will be liable for it wont be funny. Don't blame Wynne. It was just an election promise, meant to be broken, and totally meaningless. Justin has already allocated 10 million for Sussex Dr reno"s and he hasn't even begun as your Prime Minister. Look out Canadians, its spend, spend, spend.
  • Ed | 28 Oct 2015, 12:53 PM Agree 0
    Totally agree Fred. This is just another broken Liberal promise. Federally they claim they want to create more affordable housing and on the Provincial level they are far from that. Rob Ford wanted to eliminate the municipal tax and I wish he did. John Tory has no intention of even trying. Too much money coming in to spend. Two taxes for a home buyer is just wrong. I hope the people of Ontario rise against this absurdity. The tax grab has to stop.
  • Darren | 28 Oct 2015, 12:58 PM Agree 0
    Taxes are going up in every jurisdiction, this is the only way to keep the Sunshine list paid.. unfortunately "Taxing yourself into Prosperity is like telling a man to step into bucket and telling him to lift himself"
  • Darren | 28 Oct 2015, 12:58 PM Agree 0
    Taxes are going up in every jurisdiction, this is the only way to keep the Sunshine list paid.. unfortunately "Taxing yourself into Prosperity is like telling a man to step into bucket and telling him to lift himself"
  • | 28 Oct 2015, 01:02 PM Agree 0
    It seems to me that the Transfer Title tax should be a set amount - it is the same number of key strokes on a keyboard for a $100,000 property as it for a $1,000,000 property - so why is it a percentage of the sale? Make it a $500 or $1,000 flat fee and call it done.
  • MENSA | 28 Oct 2015, 01:05 PM Agree 0
    Wynne gives $7 million dollars of taxpayers money to the Teachers Union, and tried to hide it, and then is supposed to negotiate against them for the best deal. Talk about " sucking & blowing at the same time". Remember the gas plant scandal in Oakville that cost $1 billion under the Provincial Liberals & then it ended up in Sarnia. Politicans when it comes to taxpayers money think it is an everending trough without consequences. I did not vote for Justin Trudeau because I had a problem with his lack of experience, his lack of ability to deal with world leaders that are much more experienced than him in negotiations. He is already saying he is going to spend us into a further deficit of $10 billion a year for the next 3 years and the forecasters say that by the end of his 4 year term both USA and Canada will be in a recession so what are his chances of getting re-elected. I have asked and I continue to ask being a resident of Willowdale, Ontario Canada where many war time houses have been demolished to build $3 million dollar custom homes and the realty taxes on these homes have doubled or tripled : where is all this extra revenue going. We have hundreds of new condo towers in Toronto sitting on property where a few homes used to stand and now the City is collecting realty taxes from 300 people in a bldg. instead of 12 home owners: Where has all this extra realty tax revenue gone ? The City of Toronto is marketed as a World Class City and yet a recent economic report states that 52% of the people in Toronto now make poverty wages or less meaning about $22,000 a year or less. These people cant afford to buy homes, condos or anything. Now we see Justin Trudeau committing immediately $10 million of taxpayers money to " fix up" 24 Sussex Drive. If my mind is still intact, every time a new Prime Minister is elected don't they spend millions on Sussex Drive in terms of renovations. Google how much Stephen Harper spent on it when he was elected 10 years ago. Justin Trudeau is going to spend this country into a recession in 2019. Whether you liked Stephen Harper OR NOT he was fiscally responsible and well respected on the world stage & he kept the boat stable when Countries like Ireland, Greece, Spain, Norway went bankrupt. The people that voted for Justin Trudeau will regret it in 3-4 years. He was voted in by young disillusioned people and immigrants wanting to bring over all their families so they could use our medical system and our welfare system.
  • e.larry | 28 Oct 2015, 01:14 PM Agree 0
    bend over and enjoy - you voted'em in - very very very crooked - let's vote 'em out
  • | 28 Oct 2015, 01:18 PM Agree 0
    The Government needs to control spending, hold those accountable for their scandalous behavior and to ensure we all, including corporations pay our fair share of tax. For those who are interested cut and paste the link below into your browser to see how corporations avoid paying their fair share of tax.

Allowing all municipalities to charge a land transfer tax will have an negative affect on the housing market.

Call your MP and demand change.
  • Tina | 28 Oct 2015, 01:18 PM Agree 0

• JimB | 28 Oct 2015, 01:42 PM Agree 0
    I have always considered an election promise as more than just statement to get votes. It is a commitment and a verbal contract. Can these people not be held accountable in some way other than feebly stating "I'm not going to vote for them next time". If they break a contract they need to suffer the consequences. I mean consequences that really bite.
  • Laura | 03 Nov 2015, 10:21 AM Agree 0

A Second Land Transfer TAX - Don't TAX MY DREAM VOTE TODAY-

Post a reply