Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

More reports of overvaluation? Add it to the list

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 09 Jan 2015, 12:06 PM Agree 0
Deutsche Bank in Germany is the latest to join a chorus of financial institutions urging caution amid reports of market overvaluation in Canada – this time by 63 per cent.
  • Robert | 09 Jan 2015, 01:52 PM Agree 1
    How can we be upset about another stupid institution or individual commenting about a real estate market that they know anything about! Why are we giving any airplay to these morons! Though having been an agent for 36 years, it is hardly surprising that history continues to repeat itself with another misguided, uninformed, stupid individual/institution making comments that bear absolutely no resemblance to reality.
  • Doug Smilski, RLP Noralta, Edmonton | 09 Jan 2015, 01:54 PM Agree 1
    Criticism, if required, is acceptable and probably necessary. Constructive criticism would be better. From this article, I do not see any suggestions from Deutsche Bank on how to "correct" our situation. By the way, there is more to Canadian real estate than Toronto and Vancouver....
  • John Walter | 09 Jan 2015, 02:28 PM Agree 1
    as Benjamin Franklin once said, "Whether you rent or whether you own, you pay for the house you live in", So the question is quite simple,....who's mortgage do you want to pay off? Buy a home, pay it off in 25 years or less and you will have a great 'TAX FREE" profit and a nice nest-egg to supplement and support your retirement,
  • MrLOFT | 09 Jan 2015, 02:39 PM Agree 1
    Deutsche Bank in shares are going down by 63%.
  • Darren Young | 09 Jan 2015, 03:18 PM Agree 1
    One thing these economists (and media) always forget to mention is that real estate markets are local. What goes on in one market may or may not affect another market. We saw this in the sub-prime mortgage meltdown in the US where some markets were highly effected and other markets were effected very little. To make the general statement that all of Canada’s housing market is overvalued by 63% is not only false, it is highly irresponsible.
  • Larry | 09 Jan 2015, 05:58 PM Agree 1
    I wouldn't get to upset with these people. I can't remember the last time CREA even predicted the market correctly. It wasn't long ago that people predicted the condo market in Toronto was dead. Six months later agents paid people to sit in line for them to buy condos. The only sad thing is clients sometimes believe these predictions. It is a wonder how these economists especially at the banks keep their jobs. Most of them would do a better job by flipping 2 coins. 2 heads the market is going up. 2 tails the market is dropping. 1 head 1 tail the market will be steady.
  • Rod Doris | 09 Jan 2015, 05:59 PM Agree 1
    Dear REP Editor, it would be nice if you come up with better news worthy items other than misguided articles in this blog. Most of your heading are slanted to against the real estate industry, the very people I think that you are hoping to engage! Please throw this one out too with the rest thank you.
  • judy | 09 Jan 2015, 07:47 PM Agree 1
    I always find it amazing that so much credence is given to some "dooms-dayer" who probably doesn't know much more of the world than his navel. Look at the real estate prices in Europe - for what? How can they possibly support those prices, for some ancient hole in the wall? I don't know, I am not an expert in that market, so I think they should leave the comments to the people who know our markets. Quit reporting this ----!
  • Lawrence | 10 Jan 2015, 12:44 PM Agree 1
    I have been a Realtor for 30 years. Remember what happened in 1985 when interest rates went into the middle 'teens'? House prices were half of what they were in 1980. Our house prices are interest rate driven. Five year terms can be obtained for 3 percent. When they 'hit' 12 percent again we will see prices do what they did in the middle 1980's. Foreclosures will abound.
  • george | 11 Jan 2015, 02:21 PM Agree 1
    ..there is nothing more appealing to the German bank than a propaganda about overinflated prices in Canada. Why is that..?..quite simple they want yo invest in our market and they want to steal the real estate...Never underestimate the German propaganda...they have had plenty of experience in that field...... Das Real Estate...yaaa
  • pcampitelli@royallepage.ca | 15 Jan 2015, 02:55 PM Agree 0
    Article doesn't seem to take into account, 1) savings rate of canadians ... 2) Immigration levels in Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver ... 3) the likelihood of rates remaining at current levels (long term bond rates trended down in January 2015 - not up) ... 4) exchange rate trends, ie CAD/USD which would make a rate increase unlikely.
  • Peter Thoss | 20 Jan 2015, 09:20 AM Agree 0
    In 1963, when I started to sell residential Real Estate in the Greater Vancouver Area, You could buy an average Family-home in the price range of appr.$ 10,000.-- to $12, 000.--.
    A New Home in the East-side sold for around $ 16,900.--.
    Sure, the average Income for a Tradesman was only $4,500.-- to $ 5,000.--, but as much as Real Estate had its ups and downs over
    the Years, it has proven to be the soundest Investment one could have made at almost any time.
    Besides owning your own Home instead of renting, it is about the only sure and rewarding retirement security for most Retiries.

During every economic Climate since Time immorial, we had the Doomsday-sayers, but also the over confident promoters.

What am I saying?
    I am saying is that Man needs food and shelter before any other need and that Real Estate rivals about any other Commodity as far as a sound Investment is concerned.
    Market-forces dictate Prices along the line of Supply and Demand and as long as the prudent Buyer pays attention to lack of Supply or Over-supply, he or she should always be on save Ground to sensibly invest in well located Real Estate.

"Keep Real Estate and it will keep you" is the best advise I can give to almost anyone.
Post a reply