Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Oil jobs not declining, Alberta market will survive

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 27 Feb 2015, 09:30 AM Agree 0
A new report has all but disproven suggestions that major energy-sector layoffs are causing one oil-rich province’s supposedly faltering real estate market.
  • Really? | 27 Feb 2015, 11:47 AM Agree 0
    I hope you know you look like an idiot for writing an article like this. The majority of layoffs happened near the end of December or in January so they wouldn't be reflected in the statistics you have used in a blatant attempt to mislead everyone. Try talking to anyone actually working in the oilpatch and you'll know how many people are not working right now. These statistics also don't reflect people who are still working but with greatly reduced hours.
  • Really, 2 | 27 Feb 2015, 12:30 PM Agree 0
    Really, is bang on. Just shows how out of touch Stats Can is, and the big denial by Real Estate Boards and Agents. Have a property listed right now because an oil patch worker has been laid off for more than 2 months now and no end in sight. These people are suffering. Shell cancelled a big project this week and Halliburton just laid off 120 today in Saskatchewan. Maybe, just maybe, you should actually do some Real Investigative Journalism.
  • realtorp | 27 Feb 2015, 12:43 PM Agree 0
    Your all dumb. Rig pigs get laid off all the time it's part of the job. All my family is in the oil line in Alberta we started it about 80 years ago we formed spie pipeline and banner man. It's a cycle there was always time they had no work for 6 months and went hard for 6 months.
  • Wow | 27 Feb 2015, 01:37 PM Agree 0
    When did realtors become experts on the economy?
  • Really? | 27 Feb 2015, 02:14 PM Agree 0
    I agree, realtors are not experts on the economy, but we are the ones who sit face to face with people suffering from having their jobs cut, unlike writers based out of Toronto. I'm sure if you look up her credentials you'll find she has no more knowledge in dealing with economics than we do. Writing articles on topics they have no knowledge about just makes things worse for everyone involved. Shame on REP for even publishing this.
  • judy | 27 Feb 2015, 04:09 PM Agree 0
    Really, I am quickly loosing patience with REP as an expert in Real Estate. So many articles lately seem to be out of touch with reality and written by people with their "heads in a very dark place". We live on the West Coast and our small town is even feeling the cut-backs. Our office has just had some renos done and guess what? The contractor's vehicles had Alberta plates. I have nephews in Northern BC who have driven back from as far away as Manitoba in the industry looking for work along the way and even with years of experience found nothing in any of the prairie provinces. In our small town there are small business trucks everywhere driving around with Alberta plates.
    Most of my Ft. Mac Clients are in a holding pattern for buying in advance of retirement. It is not business as usual!
  • Funny stuff | 28 Feb 2015, 08:25 AM Agree 0
    Hahahahahaha!!! Hilarious piece of "journalism" ... Cough, cough real estate propaganda. Suggesting that now is a good time to purchase in oil country is reckless advising. There is clearly uncertainty in this market and waiting to see how the dust settles would be the much more prudent financial decision to make. But hey, author...if you think it's a good time to buy, do it! I highly doubt you will. So suggesting to others that all is well in the hen house when there is clearly a coyote lurking outside is irrisponsible.
  • | 28 Feb 2015, 09:00 AM Agree 0
    Perfect example of how media and opinions of "experts" manipulate or affect economies. Its all bull
  • Highgate | 01 Mar 2015, 09:24 PM Agree 0
    Shame on you for irresponsibIy writing this horse-puckey. I am a 35year vet of the oilfield service industry, I am hearing from the laid off and have cut my contract days.
    Nearly every major oil company has reduced staff and contract people. Several thousand layoffs have occurred. Sales of oilfield services and products have ground to a halt. Long term employees of service firms are being let go. 60% of the rig fleet sits racked and idle.Rig crews and supervisory people are sitting at home. House listings in Calgary are twice what they were last year at this time; that says people are leveraged and worried. Workers who used to be flown free from the Maritines to Fort Mac are being let go. The Camp companies who lodge thousands of staff up there are shutting big camps perhaos permanently. These cycles happen but this one feels more like the 80's where things stopped dead and soon there were plenty of houses underwater and people who walked on mortgages in droves. You may be able to buffalo the folks in Toronto but it will get worse here before it gets better. The major banks are warning of a correction in house prices. People are in leveraged and if the oilfield takes hit they can't make the house, Harley, revenue condo or the Audi payment. Believe your own B.S, drink your Koolaid and pass it around but you are not fooling anyone who works in the energy industry.
  • | 04 Mar 2015, 11:04 AM Agree 0
    Wow! What a downer that last person is. No wonder they are so negative looking for all the reasons to fail rather than looking for opportunities that are every where. I find people like this thrive on the negatives and they love a "pity party" rather than getting off their butts and finding work. I am in real estate and have been for 31 years and these little blips seem to occur about 5 years or so and we always do very well by being creative and working a little harder and smarter. The sky is not falling in, it is merely resetting and looking for the openings rather than the obstacles is by far the best way to overcome these situations. I see many companies who thrive in the energy sector during small lull's such as this and EnCana is a prime example as they are on a buying binge. So we shall overcome this little challenge like we have overcome all in the past and likely towards Autumn things will be back to normal and even really negative whiney types will be back working despite their awful attitudes.
Post a reply