Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Part-time agent debate heats up

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 04 Mar 2015, 08:53 AM Agree 0
As agents are increasingly forced to compete for a shrinking pool of clients, some sales reps are calling for the regulation of their part-time counterparts. But is that ever likely to happen?
  • Scott | 04 Mar 2015, 12:53 PM Agree 0
    Its a very good article and warrants consideration. There are many who would love to work fulltime, but struggle with being occupied on a filled up schedule like someone else who has been in the business either a longer time or just happens to be well connected. I've been in the business for many years and needed a part time job in the beginning of my career to augment my income stream. Unfortunately, I find myself working as hard or harder than when I first began. Remember, we now have to deal with a national Do Not Call List, an Expired list ( No Calls Allowed ), a rash of advertised commission discounters ( who invariably will scoop up your former clients from time to time ) and a tremendous cost to do business that the general public scoffs at ( have you read the forum here ? ) but nevertheless drives you to work harder than ever. Add to that the new agents that are constantly entering the sales arena, and the competition for dollars seems harder than ever.
  • Delva Lacroix | 04 Mar 2015, 12:57 PM Agree 3
    It is very simple to define a Part Time Realtor, if that person is employed at another place of employment other than a Real Estate Brokerage and getting paid by that Employer, he is a part time Realtor. It should not be allowed.

Is that part time Realtor representing the best interest for the Seller or Buyer? The answer is NO!!

These part time Realtors give a bad impression to the public.

Please put an end to handing out a Real Estate License to someone that does not want to make a full time commitment to this wonderful career. Thank you.
  • Robert | 04 Mar 2015, 12:59 PM Agree 0 hit the nail on the head!
  • John Campisano | 04 Mar 2015, 01:00 PM Agree 2
    Personally I believe that part time sales reps lower the standard and professionism of a Realtor and our profession,

• Itdepends | 04 Mar 2015, 01:07 PM Agree 0
    Many "full-time" agents I've worked with are some of the most unprofessional people I've ever encountered. The discount brokerages and sales reps are the real danger.
  • Dave Lytton Kelowna Mortgage Broker | 04 Mar 2015, 01:10 PM Agree 1
    The real estate biz is a tough one,easy to get into, very difficult to "make it" I'm a mortgage broker and over the years I've seen many come and go. Most that have left have been the part timers.... this industry take DEDICATION! Dedication to clients, to learning, to marketing & staying connected. If you want to be a broker that commits to customer service and satisfaction, there is no way you make this industry a part time gig!
  • Ross | 04 Mar 2015, 01:11 PM Agree 0
    I have read these comments for a long time now, and I feel that what there really hoping for is less real estate agents so there isn't as much competition . If all agents are full time and producing that would mean even less business for everyone. There are lots of other businesses that have part time people working in them. I am a full time agent and have no problem with the part timers.
  • norm | 04 Mar 2015, 01:31 PM Agree 1
    Think about this a part-time realtor works at a full time job elsewhere and I am trying to arrange showings and I cannot get a returned call/text until after 4:30 pm to show there listings how do I provide a living for my family and is it fair to the seller ?
    Part-time realtors obvious will not know there product as good as a full time realtor. We have all these rules and regulations and for some reason we let these people fly under the radar.
  • Buzz | 04 Mar 2015, 01:32 PM Agree 0
    I agree with the opinion of "“Being otherwise employed does not necessarily mean one is part time in real estate, based on hours worked. It means one is unavailable at certain times,” however, why are we comparing hours & availability or how many jobs one can juggle when we should be taking a more systematic approach. Lets say that a real estate agent had to complete a minimum of X amount of deals under their brokers supervision as an apprentice to earn their licence. Further, one should have a minimum of "Y" number of transactions per year to maintain it. I believe that standards would ultimately increase. From a business and commission point of view, I believe that if this was the case, it would take care of two birds with one stone. Just saying.
  • buzz | 04 Mar 2015, 01:43 PM Agree 0
    One more thing I thought I should say, if an agent had to maintain "Y" amount of deals per year to keep their licence, they might be able to do that the first year however, once they run out of family and friends, they might have to actually pay for advertising and get some real experience which might consequently make them think twice about cutting commission since they would now actually have to think about P N L. Sorry just had to add that thought.
  • Nicole | 04 Mar 2015, 01:52 PM Agree 1
    If the real estate boards limited the number of licensed agents in order to ensure that everyone had a fair chance of really making a living, then it would eliminate the need for so many to find employment elsewhere. Think about it, TREB has about 40,000 agents and there are only about 93,000 deals every year -- 2.3 deals per agent! The pie is not big enough. It is unconscionable for TREB and other boards to keep producing agents when they know that the new agents don't have a fair chance of making it in the dog-eat-dog world of real estate. I was told by a very reliable source that 5 percent of agents do 95 percent of the business. No need to sharpen your pencil. It is a money-making business for them, so why should they have limits.
  • bb | 04 Mar 2015, 02:07 PM Agree 1
    What about the "part-timer's" employer in his/her other or main employment? Would that employer consider how much distraction the part-timer's real estate endeavor is to their main income stream responsibility? I see this especially true in the case where an employee is working in a minimum supervised capacity for larger corporations or public institutions. Delva LaCroix has made the point too!
    After 20 years licensed and having previously worked in two careers for 27 years (not licensed) the real estate industry seems by far the most challenging on time and money. Other than an exceptionally networked part timer, I do not see their ability to serve two masters effectively.
  • S | 04 Mar 2015, 02:07 PM Agree 0
    Commitment and service to clients would always be our 100% priority. How does it matter if an agent is full time or part time? For most part, our clients work full time jobs and are only available on evenings and weekends. Clients have no issues with agents meeting them at this time then what is the main issue here. I am a full time agent but I know of many part time agents who are extremely dedicated and committed to their clients. They keep themselves well informed of what is happening In the industry. They are hard working just like the full time ones. I see part time agents putting in 7.5 hrs on some days. How does it matter if an agent does this from 8-4pm or 4pm to 11pm? What constitutes full time or part time? I have also seen some part time agents bringing in more deals than full time agents. Let's focus our energy on getting out there and doing our best for ourselves and our clients. How does it matter if one is full time or part time? Just concentrate on being the best!
  • Mike | 04 Mar 2015, 02:23 PM Agree 0
    I'm a "part-time" agent and have been for the past 8 years. It's not easy (or cheap), but I give my clients my full attention and have not had one single complaint. I've been able to build a nice little referral based business that has awarded me the 100% club for the last 3 years.

By no means has it been easy... I understand that I have to - by choice - work longer hours and that much harder to keep my clients happy and make myself available to answer their questions and fulfill my fiduciary duties. I am lucky that my first full-time job allows me the flexibility to make phone calls, answer emails and leave the office when I need to. I only take on clients that I know I can handle and understand my time limits as a "part-time" agent.

My success is limited by my time only. I know that if I want to take my business "to the next level", I'm going to have to give up my job and make Real Estate my first and only career. A "part-time" agent can be successful, it will just depend on how hard they are willing to work and for how long - one must know your limits.

We've all worked with full and part-time agents who seemingly have no clue what they are doing - these are the agents that give us a bad reputation. Unfortunately, the ease of entry into this industry and the low-cost brokerages do facilitate the addition of disillusioned agents. I don't think there's a way to stop the influx of unqualified agents, it's too easy to get in to, but I have seen many disillusioned friends and family get into the industry and not be able to pay their carrying costs. At one point or another, people do realize that it's not worth it and definitely not that easy.

Whether you're only a Realtor or a Realtor Other Career, you will fail if you don't work harder and smarter than the Realtor next to you.
  • Aldo8226 | 04 Mar 2015, 02:41 PM Agree 0
    I know of "part-timers" who are more professional and sell a lot more than so-called full timers who sit in the RE Offices all day drinking coffee, reading the newspapers and chatting !
  • | 04 Mar 2015, 03:46 PM Agree 1
    I agree that if they have another job they are not full time realtors and should not have a license!
  • | 04 Mar 2015, 04:01 PM Agree 0
    Real estate boards cannot do anything to limit competition or restrict trade in any way! Your argument is with the Federal Competition Bureau! Better tread lightly here!
  • PEEGEE | 04 Mar 2015, 04:14 PM Agree 0
    Come on people! We are competing all the time. Tell me how to define the "ideal" competitor! I would sooner be competing against a few "part timers" than a few "hot shots"! We don't need any more "regulations"! We are regulated to death and the agents have already long ago lost control of our business. We are controlled by a huge bureaucracy. Part timers will either (a) succeed and go full time or (b) they will fade away. I could't care less! I do my job and have done successfully for decades. We were always complaining about "too many in the business". I have never heard it said yet that we "don't have enough agents in the business" BTW we ARE a BUSINESS NOT a profession. As long as we are running around knocking on doors, spending hours working on deals that never come to fruition, give hours of advice FOR FREE we are not a profession. I have no problem with that - it's a business and I love business but I assure you I conduct mine LIKE a professional!
  • PEEGEE | 04 Mar 2015, 04:21 PM Agree 0
    Come on people! We are competing all the time. Tell me how to define the "ideal" competitor! I would sooner be competing against a few "part timers" than a few "hot shots"! We don't need any more "regulations"! We are regulated to death and the agents have already long ago lost control of our business. We are controlled by a huge bureaucracy. Part timers will either (a) succeed and go full time or (b) they will fade away. I could't care less! I do my job and have done successfully for decades. We were always complaining about "too many in the business". I have never heard it said yet that we "don't have enough agents in the business" BTW we ARE a BUSINESS NOT a profession. As long as we are running around knocking on doors, spending hours working on deals that never come to fruition, give hours of advice FOR FREE we are not a profession. I have no problem with that - it's a business and I love business but I assure you I conduct mine LIKE a professional!
  • | 04 Mar 2015, 04:24 PM Agree 1
    If a realtor is partime or not we have some poor full time agents as well. It is not all partime agents that are bad
  • Larry | 04 Mar 2015, 04:33 PM Agree 0
    I've been selling Real Estate for 30 years with no other source of income. I've supported my family throughout that time. There have been good years and bad. This argument has been going on since and before I got into the business. Now my question is to those "full timers" ...
    Who will pick up the slack of operating such systems as MLS when the fees from all the "part timers" disappears?
  • | 04 Mar 2015, 04:36 PM Agree 0
    Part timers makes so hard of the full timers to effectively work because they takes anything they can get thus it becomes a very hard job
  • VanAgent | 04 Mar 2015, 04:46 PM Agree 1
    I was part time for the first few years and gave top notch service to my clients. My night job was a place to pick up clients and I did. I don't really get why agents carp about this and seemingly have no problem with the 65% passing grade for the exam. I would move that to 90% and stop worrying that some shmuck has to work two jobs to break into Real Estate.
  • Jackie Laurin | 04 Mar 2015, 05:35 PM Agree 0
    Are you a part timer, sounds like it. This is for the person worried if we are infringing on rights of the Federal Competition Board..
  • a chaput | 04 Mar 2015, 07:36 PM Agree 0
    a lawyer that become a prime minister remain a lawyer
    an econo,ist that become a minister remain an economist
    a doctor that become a prime minister or deputy remain a doctor
    a chartered accountant that become a minister of parlement remain a chartered accountant
    a chartered broker that become a mayor remain a chartered broker
  • COmmission Wars!! | 04 Mar 2015, 09:44 PM Agree 0
    More Agents!! More Agents!!!

We need more agents so the COMMISSION WARS WILL GET REALLY HEATED!!!!! Promote It like a infomercial telling new agents the vast sums that you can make.
  • Shahla | 05 Mar 2015, 12:07 AM Agree 0
    TREB needs to run their fancy office in Toronto and need more money coming from realtor. They don't care if is part timer or full timer.
    Have you heared a lawyer or accountant drive taxi and run his professional office as a part timer. We as Realtor are professional and should stick with one job as our full tim job.
    Consumer deserves more and reply on our professional conduct. I believe selling real estate should be full time job and part timer should be out.

• Rita | 05 Mar 2015, 06:50 AM Agree 0
    That is not a fair statement. Because someone wants to get into this wonderful career and because they have the ability, personality and desire to do this, they just dont have the security of the funds at this moment to support their family, does not mean that they do not have the right to do this part time.

I myself, and others like me out there are working very hard at makibg this work.
  • Delva Lacroix | 05 Mar 2015, 09:26 AM Agree 0
    I have read everyone comments and concerns this morning and I respect and appreciate them all.
    I obtained my Real Estate License in 1977, I made a commitment back then and I have worked full time in this career that I love very much and I have been very successful.
    I have a question for everyone that has replied............ have you ever heard of a Dentist, Doctor, Lawyer or anyone that is employed by Municipal or Federal affairs sell Real Estate part time? I have never heard of one of those professional people selling Real Estate in our area not even after they retire. if it is such a terrific career why are they not selling part time? I wonder why?
  • $500 transactions!! | 05 Mar 2015, 10:00 AM Agree 0
    comparing themselves to doctors and lawyers again!!! Barley need a high school diploma to become a realtor.. MORE AGENTS..ALL boards should push for more agents so the COMMISSION WARS WILL GET REAL HEATED!!!!

• Get a Life | 05 Mar 2015, 12:43 PM Agree 0
    As is the case, so often--that soooooooooooo many people have never been a realtor and have NO clue about the job. BUT! Think they have all the answers. That's a joke.
    And for all the realtors that want to have part-timers out of the business? Well, we know why--these realtors want to weed out other competitors. However, let me remind everyone, there are part-time business people in every industry. Get a life and leave the whole real estate issues alone! People are part-time business owners across the world!

Some take care of kids full time and do real estate.
    Some people vacation full time and do real estate.
    Some people have three other businesses and do real estate.

Get a life people.

And for all those people who think they want to cut out what realtors do and make?

Go get yourself licensed..if you're that bad of a hater.
  • More Competition!!! | 05 Mar 2015, 01:34 PM Agree 0
    I think if u can make the money go for it... I just like ...more the agents the better the COMMISSION WARS WILL ESCALATE!!!

The competition is really getting heated with all these agents trying to make a buck.. wether they are good or bad...MOre Agents it will be like the fast food industry and consumers will save lots of MONEY FOR THEMSELVES!!!
  • this is great news for consumers | 05 Mar 2015, 01:37 PM Agree 0
    Don't blame the consumer it was all the pushing for more agents for dues and fees....and greedy agents from the past not being reasonable and the majority of new agents will suffer for it..
  • narender sehgal | 05 Mar 2015, 03:27 PM Agree 0
    i always thought real estate is a service industry, how many hours you spend doesnt mean anything, if a person can provide service at the convinience of client keeping in mind the needs of client or customer and interest of client then how does it makes a difference that someone is full time or part time agent, what is the defination of full time agent pl, someone who works 12 hours a day and hardly makes any sale or someone who works few hours and produces results, i sometimes wonder, i have met many full time real estate agents who have no clue what are they doing, so pl lets not get into this full time , part time business friends.hope we all understand the concept of productivity and production... optimum use of resourses is what matters to me, not how many hours someone spends in office.
  • $500 Transactions | 05 Mar 2015, 03:58 PM Agree 0
    The Commission Wars are on!!! Greed usally is the downfall for most models!!! $500 per transaction!! Guess realtors are just going to have to fight it out
  • PeopleNeedtoGrowUp | 05 Mar 2015, 06:38 PM Agree 0
    Dear $500 Transactions:
    You need to educate yourself on business. You need to educate yourself on real estate.
    I'm sorry that you're a hater for real estate agents.

You're a sad person. If you like war? Move to another country.
    Seems war is appealing to you. lol
  • MORE AGENTS | 05 Mar 2015, 09:38 PM Agree 0
    Looking up resales comparables and list. Wait for other agents to taxi/tour and open doors. Hold out or create a bidding war in a market that sells itself!!Low interest rates ,low supply,big demand!! Where is the magic that I am could that be worth 4-5% of the selling price!!!??

Prices of homes increased greatly not the value /service of realtors. Stock brokers use to sell stock for 100-1,000 for transactions and now it is practically free and information in abundance on the interent. Stock brokers provided a service that was not guaranteed and Realtors can't guarantee anything either.. every industry didn't see their commissions rise as much as realtors and the only reason is the monopoly on information.....more agents!!! more agents!! COMMISSION WARS!!!!
  • Hypocrites | 06 Mar 2015, 12:20 PM Agree 0
    There's no such thing as: a commission war.

(Sorry to burst your un-researched bubble.

If it wasn't for the foolish behavior of the public? The commission charges that go to the brokerage, the real estate boards and the realtors--wouldn't be at the amount they're at. That's what the public doesn't get!!! You can't sell real estate for as little as $500!! LOL Sorry folks...why?

Because? Of people! That's why!

It's comical to read all these posts by people who don't have a clue what they're talking about.

The realtor doesn't keep the entire paid commission amount. But! No one mentions that! lol Oh noo! Don't post accurate information! Just blame the realtor! lol. (too funny)

For those of you who like war? Have war with the brokerages! They take some of the commission money, too! lol

For all the people that don't like what realtors make? Are the same hypocrites that don't want to live on minimum wage. That ask for more money themselves. That are in business themselves..and hey? Does your service warrant the amount you charge? If we're going to pick on realtors..let's pick on everyone! lol

It's a joke and unfortunately, the real estate industry is targeted because people think they can target it.

But alas! The people who target realtors don't have a clue about the industry and only know how to spell: war!

People love war huh! It's good to know that, like in this post, people are in love with war so much.

Too funny....
  • More Agents!!!! | 06 Mar 2015, 12:51 PM Agree 0
    Agents like war they created prices wars...time for taste of that medicine..COMMISSION WARS...the part time agents and the struggling agents have too eat too!!!...greed is the ultimate driver by a few
  • part-time | 06 Mar 2015, 03:01 PM Agree 0
    I am a part-time agent. My clients know this and they still come back to me to help them buy, sell and rent. They even send me referrals!
    Because I worked my ass off to make sure they get what they need. Newsflash, these people work, they need someone to work in the evenings and weekends. And they sign deals after 5pm as well....crazy I know! As for my regular job. I have breaks, I have a lunch I can return calls the same way the full-time agent returns calls after a meeting with a client, or between clients or after an open house.
    In my humble opinion today there is no difference between a part time and full time agent.
    Many sucesfull teams offer the worst service possible. There is no relationship with the client. Buyer agents (not the listing agent) end up doing an open house despite not knowing any of the details about the home. People are stretched so thin you call to get an answer to a question, boom a showing and you don't hear back for a day or lo her. When they call back you get the typical bs ' My client just got back to me, they work shifts'. At this rate seems like 90% of sellers are shift workers. But they have the funds to market and they get clients and that is business.

You want to take a licence away from a part-time agent. No problem! But if that's the case each Realtor should have a cap for the number of clients they can work with each month. You can't offer full-time service to 10 clients at once. And folks be ready to prove that you put in full time hours.
    I could quit my job, call myself a full time agent and work few hours on my business than I do now. It's not regulated! So get over it!
    As for knowledge... Those who want to be up to date are (full-time or part-time) those who don't want to be informed are not. There is a lot to learn and you won't know it all. That's why you have a Brokerage, a manager, a real estate board and support staff who can help.
  • Suzanne | 06 Mar 2015, 04:22 PM Agree 0
    What about full time real estate and part time other job? With all of the real estate restrictions and actual market condition it is getting very hard to keep the good income. After 30 years in the business a second job became a must. I work 3 or 4 hours a day and I can take or make calls. With cell phone I also get e-mails and enter the board site for information needed. As long as I have my cell phone I am on the real estate job. I spent 3 or 4 hours making safe income instead of yaping around and drink coffee. Guess what... at the end of the month my bills are paid.
  • GREED | 06 Mar 2015, 06:42 PM Agree 0
    Suzanne is right agents are all part timers anyway ...they do part time on their clients..greedy agents are ruining for the rest
  • H | 06 Mar 2015, 07:55 PM Agree 0
    At the end of the day there should not be any concerns about part-time agents vs. full time agents. The only thing that matters is the level of service they provide, their level of professionalism, that they understand their responsibility and that they have done a good job in representing you and your needs whether you are the seller or buyer.

If a full-time person is concerned with a part-time person they should get their head out of the sand and realize that they control what they control. If you can't compete then you are doing something wrong.
  • MORE AGENTS | 07 Mar 2015, 08:31 AM Agree 0
    Prices of homes of homes went up not the value of part time,full time ,extra time agents are not worth 4-6% commission. ....More commission wars on agent and I vote for MORE AGENTS!!

$500-$1,000 transactions!!! I have used agents who charge $1,000 per transaction and the level of service ,knowledge,experience was not different that the EGO Agent who say you get what u pay for!!! nonsense and it is just marketing talk and I am sure buyers and sellers buy into it like anything that is Marketed to sound great!!
  • Think About It | 07 Mar 2015, 10:20 AM Agree 0
    More agents doesn't solve problems
    But it does line the pockets of brokerages.

• Free riders | 07 Mar 2015, 01:07 PM Agree 0
    More agents will help consumers save money...the egos have had a free ride for too long!!!
  • DC in Toronto | 07 Mar 2015, 06:05 PM Agree 0
    Some of the full time agents are less professional than the some call part time agents. Please define " Part Time " agent. I do have a full time profession and when I compare the hours invested. If that is the datum then my " Date profession " becomes part time as I spent considerablely more hours working with my clients.
  • GREEDYYYY | 07 Mar 2015, 06:54 PM Agree 0
    No matter what kind of agent you use top notch,part timer, no timer is once in a blue moon a deal does not work out 1 or 2 out of a thousand and it can go sour with either a 5% agent or a $1,000 agent....non of these ego agents saying u need a expert will guarantee anything .. properties can have issues later down the road,condos are basically a box with walls,, so the number of times things go bad it is the law of averages no matter what you do...just the unlucky one.....remember agents are not offering anything different in the last 40 years.....they are rding a rapid price increase..

MORE COMMISSION WARS!!!! They are just plain greedy and ruining for new agents and struggling ones.... the greedy agents are causing the commission wars
  • Robbins | 08 Mar 2015, 02:59 PM Agree 0
    Starting out 16 years ago, there was no choice to go part time, you had to commit and it was a bit scary, BUT looking back, if I had been allowed to start out part time, I would have likely done so because that would have given me a safety net. What I know for absolute certainty is that if I had chosen that path, I would have never made it as a Realtor. Knowing how hard I worked to get started, it would have been impossible with another job. The attrition rate in the industry was high at that time, for good reason. It was sink or swim. This business is not for everyone and is without a doubt a full time job IF you're doing it right. Allowing part time folks in a profession that represents the public's greatest asset is reprehensible. We're not weeding out the people that shouldn't be doing this anymore. Since part-timer's have been allowed, I have had a gas station attendant give me his Realtor Business Card, I've had a pushy Brick Salesman shove his Realtor business card in my hand. I've had no show appointments, people that can't write contracts, no call backs after several attempts and we wonder why the public is disgusted with our industry? We are allowing our industry to become a hobby for some people and we're doing a huge disservice to the public. We will never straighten out a commission structure until we straighten out our industry and bring it back to a place where we feel proud to represent it again, and the public can see it.
  • EAsy Money | 08 Mar 2015, 04:03 PM Agree 0
    More wisdom with the story I had so so with a card....such nonsense...everyone has a story this agent who was part time, low commission realtor,high flying ego agent who charges 5%.. they all have had issues.. bottom line 5% agents are charging too much for the value they offer..
    they got a monopoly that they have been riding and been paid by the majority of agents who are part time and struggling in a industry that is has marketed for more agents in the lure of easy a infomercial for easy money...
  • Bonny Klassen | 09 Mar 2015, 04:00 PM Agree 0
    Given the nature of a real estate transaction being the largest purchase or sale an individual most likley makes in their lifetime, and given the commission costs associated with that transaction, it only makes sense that all realtors should have only one profession or job.
    Let's respect those buyers and sellers needing our professional expertise and spend our time being professional, not juggling multiple career commitments. Let our professional duties be focused on the best interest of sellers and buyers thus maintaining a high level of integrity, service and knowledge in our industry.
    Most of us have lifestyle commitments already, home, family. sports, and volunteer opportunities. How much can one water down their focus on excellence?
  • Maxy | 18 Mar 2015, 02:46 PM Agree 0
    Just like interpreting statistic data, it could be skewed in favor of more than one opinion. Should a nurse who runs a daycare centre be stopped from practicing nursing or stopped from managing daycare centre because either one or the other is part time? Many so called full timers progressed from so called part time and transitioned to full time. At a stage in this debate, the vocal full timers were
    1. Blaming the licencing board for "lowering" qualifying exam standard
    2. Advocating 8o % as bench mark
    3. Proposing increase in fees.
    4. Blaming Brokers for signing up new members. The list keeps growing.

One wonders how increase in fee will improve quality of service. It is not difficult to know that increasing fees will only exclude those who cannot pay. Is real estate an exclusive club for the rich and super connected? The advocates for full timers only are simply showing their discomfort with increased competition from new comers to the industry.

Going through the above 4 points shows that the goal of full time advocates is not quality of service but discomfort with competing with new comers. Real estate is a service industry, if you do not provide quality service you will not retain clients. It is also true that if you do not have broad base of clients (well connected in the community), you will not succeed. Many factors detect success or failure in our industry. One of those factors is not whether full time or part time. There are part timers doing very well in both quantity and quality and there are full timers struggling. There are also those who barely passed the qualifying exam and have excellent people skill and are recording stellar performance in the business. Fair competition should be the guiding rule not exclusions. Let us stop manipulating the goal post with hope that it will one day be just where we want it, fair or foul.
  • Deb | 20 Mar 2015, 12:14 PM Agree 0
    Being a "Full time" realtor does not mean that person is better qualified than a "part-time" realtor. Stop blaming others for your lack of success. I have had the honour of working with "part-time" realtors who provide excellent service to their clients. I have also worked with "full time" realtors who care nothing for their clients best interest and are just looking to close a deal and move on to the next. What about realtors that volunteer in our community, are they not considered "part time" as they are not always available. How many realtors have families, as a mother I know that there are times when I am not giving 100% to my business, does that make me part time? Technology enables us to be able to do our research from anywhere. How many realtors will be on the golf course in the upcoming weeks, definitely not available to service their clients needs. In the end it is up to each individual buyer and seller to decide who they want to work with. Lets not try to punish people for choosing to support their families in the best way they can. A realtor should be measured by the quality of service he/she provides not by the amount of hours they can sit around waiting for the phone to ring. Yes I am a"full time" realtor and I have nothing against realtors with other "jobs".
  • Rob | 25 Mar 2015, 02:50 PM Agree 0
    And what do you do for a living? Let me guess, union worker?
  • Rob | 25 Mar 2015, 02:52 PM Agree 0
    I guess this guy has had a poor agent in the past! I've painted rooms for clients. And had clients move out of town and shopped for cars for their children so they can commute.

This guy/girl doesn't have a clue. Stupidity is showing his ugly colours. And cowards behind the internet not disclosing his occupation.
Post a reply