Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Part-timers fight back in REP forum

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 09 Mar 2015, 10:17 AM Agree 0
So-called part-timers are fighting back in the REP forum, arguing their services are just as good – or even better – than some full-time agents.
  • Mrloft.ca | 09 Mar 2015, 11:53 AM Agree 1
    I know a part time agent who could not get his clients into a property quickly enough before it sold because of his schedule. While it's not everyday that a home sells on day 1 for this reason alone part time agents need to let their clients know that this could happen. It's the reality of working a 40hr week in another job. Not to mention I think the employer should know too. As an employer I would be furious to know my employees are browsing MLS on my time and calling in sick to do deals.
  • Ken in Kamloops BC | 09 Mar 2015, 11:55 AM Agree 1
    Call me crazy, but my experience by and large is that part-timers are part-time for a reason. They lack the professionalism, talent, and commitment to succeed as a full-time real estate professional, and need that other job to make ends meet. I get that there are exceptions to every rule, but I don't want to be "that guy" that greets my seller when they walk in the door of Home Depot on Saturday afternoon, or picks them up from a restaurant in my cab...be a pro, be full-time, your clients deserve that.
  • Hard Worker | 09 Mar 2015, 12:10 PM Agree 0
    I am part time only to build my client base until its sufficient to earn a steady living without the winter soft spots etc. I have been "part time" as some call it for a few years and have been more successful than alot of full time desk sitter agents in a 40 agent office ( 4th in ranks ). I am completely dedicated to my clients satisfaction and requests and make sure everything is done in a timely manner... maybe its my work ethic but being part time is a word cause I work 16plus hours a day most of the time thats not "part time" to me !!!

Cheers to all and sign those waivers !!!
  • Rick | 09 Mar 2015, 12:23 PM Agree 1
    I think the argument of whether or not part-timers can properly serve their clients will depend on the nature of their full-time job. I've co-operated with part-timers that simply can't make a call or write an email during the day. But hey, once 5pm rolls around they're all over it. To me that is unacceptable. However, if you can somehow book in a showing, prepare an offer, respond to inquiries, etc all while at your full-time job, then perhaps it can work. And to "Hard Worker", if you're so successful and rank 4th in your office, why do you still have a full-time job? Makes no sense to me, so I have a hard time believing it. If I was 4th in my office I would be doing over 40 deals a year and I certainly couldn't hold a full-time job at that rate. Personally, I am a full-timer in this business and I've yet to work with a part-timer that creates enough time to "do" the job. I do not want to nor should I have to wait until the clock ticks 5pm to hear back from you when we're in the middle of a deal. But hey, if you have that much flexibility at your job that you can make it work then so be it, as long as you are adequately servicing your clients, and those around you -- I have to imagine this is quite rare.
  • Full Time Agent | 09 Mar 2015, 12:58 PM Agree 1
    I see nothing wrong with working a part time job for the first couple of years of your career (assuming it's a flexible job that allows you to be a Realtor first). However, if you've been working as a Realtor for a couple years, and you still need a second job, you're not a good agent. If you were a good agent, you'd be receiving enough referrals and repeat business to prosper without a second job.

Working as a part time Realtor doesn't necesarilly make you a bad agent, but it does allow too many bad agents to stay in the business. The market is speaking, perhaps we should be listening?
  • Great Service | 09 Mar 2015, 02:16 PM Agree 1
    I really do not like the term "part-time" as whenever I am doing anything with real estate, I put real estate first. Some "full-time" sales people do not put in full-time hours. Also, some full-time sales representatives do property management or buy investment properties... does that make them part-time?

Even though, I have a career besides real estate, I have the flexibility to answer my phone and return emails immediately, and also to book appointments. I have tons of vacation, and work flex-time, so for me, it is the best of both worlds. Also, most of my clients work days. I enjoy both my careers, and wouldn't want to choose.

I give my clients great service, and in addition, I build each of my listing client's their own website to advertise their home. The contacts that I make with my day position are great, and my employer hired me knowing that I was a real estate sales person.

I think that providing great service is what is important.
  • nrs | 09 Mar 2015, 02:22 PM Agree 0
    How does one define a part-timer? Is a "full-time" agent who runs two restaurants a full timer? What about a full-timer who manages several of his/her own properties - although his/her personal business is in real estate does not mean it is not another job? And on and on ....

An agent with another job ....... this is entirely acceptable in our capitalist society. Full timers who are sour about part-timers having a 9-5 job as well, instead of being sour, maybe you can go get a 9-5 job as well :-)

Bottom line is that you cannot just generalize. There are many, many part-timers who will draw circles around many, many, many full-timers. It comes down to the individual. Period! Except if one feeds on sour grapes.

I am now full time. For the many years I was a part timer, it was a turn off to go into the office and hear the same group of agents, FULL TIME, spending the day talking about the news, hockey, the deal that fell apart, the buyers who are liars and the whole nine yards of unproductivity.
  • Maxy | 09 Mar 2015, 03:05 PM Agree 0
    The Full Time ONLY team are NOT motivated by client interests. This fact they dishonestly would not admit. Their interest is their pockets. If they mean what they advocate, they should write to CREA or any Real Estate Board to generate statistics on the number of complaints from buyers and sellers against Part Timers versus Full Timers . This will settle the debate for good. Full Timers Only team are interested in the number of listings and sales not in the number of satisfied clients.
  • Charles Young | 09 Mar 2015, 04:52 PM Agree 1
    There are thousands of agents who do NOT have a day job and are absolutely part-time Realtors. Many choose, or have to, spend time on family responsibilities. I agree that less-than-full-time agents can be as good or better than "full-time" agents, many of whom spend most of their time trying to get business (or golfing, watching sports, whatever), NOT serving clients. Who keeps bringing up this topic? What for?
  • Saskatoon | 09 Mar 2015, 05:08 PM Agree 0
    @Hard Worker - Why don't you do RE full time then? If you're 4th in the ranks now, surely you'll be first if you commit.
  • MORE AGENTS | 09 Mar 2015, 06:19 PM Agree 0
    More agents, more agents..more commission wars
  • Gord | 09 Mar 2015, 07:17 PM Agree 0
    I have found that many times access to properties with part time realtors is an issue. I agree some are great but I feel that it should be disclosed on the listing contract if you are a full time or part time realtor. If the seller is concerned whether you are a part time agent then that agent can provide an explanation to justify their service(s).
  • | 09 Mar 2015, 07:25 PM Agree 0
    Boards do not track who is part time vs. full time so it would be impossible to create any statistics on the relationship between dissatisfied clients and wether the agent is full or part time.

I was in real estate for less than a year when our market took a significant downturn. I admit that I looked for a second job at that point but I couldn't find anything viable that would let me be able to put my clients first. I was a rookie Realtor in a depressed market so I understand the need. A realtor who has an established business is a completely different subject. New agents should be allowed to work second jobs as they establish their careers, but a line should be drawn at some point. I'd like to suggest two years.

An agents success is largely based on how happy their clients are with their performance. If an agent receives referrals and repeat business from their clients their business will grow to the point where they do no require a second job. If they continually fail to grow their business, is it not a sign that their clients are unhappy? This is the danger of allowing agents to work second jobs, it allows them to offer poor service year after year.

To all these agents that claim their second job allows them to be realtors first, I'd love to know what they do. What kind of job do you have lets you frequently talk on the phone or enables you to walk away at a minutes notice when your buyer finds themselves in a multiple offer? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just truly curious.
  • mike | 09 Mar 2015, 11:04 PM Agree 0
    What would you full timers call a retired realtor who has 30 plus years of experience,every client he ever had he can talk to still and has never had a complaint from any board.So he still has a few clients who demand his services,is he full/part time or part/full time?And after an exemplary if not super financially rewarding career,should he not be allowed to provide good service to the clients that want him to represent them?
  • mike | 09 Mar 2015, 11:25 PM Agree 0
    I would like to commend Hard Worker for making a great effort to succeed,as I know from experience that some agents get easy and lucrative deals due to luck,etc.
  • Dale | 10 Mar 2015, 12:21 AM Agree 0
    Mike, I don't think anyone is talking about semi-retired realtors here so let's not muddy the waters. The thing that is getting everyone so upset are agents who are unable to make a living in real estate without taking second jobs. Let's face it, they are unsuccessful because they don't have the required skills and they bring the whole industry down with them.
  • Rose | 10 Mar 2015, 11:42 AM Agree 0
    I understand that many agents cannot live on the income from selling real estate - especially when they are new, but I believe very strongly that disclosing the fact that they are part time (have another full time job) to their clients should be mandatory. I also agree with the previous commenter that they should be required to inform their employers of their full time job that they are selling real estate on their time. If it is ok with the clients and the employers, then I guess, go ahead. It is just wrong that some will cover up the fact that they are part time and lie to their employers. Is this someone you would want to do business with??
  • Change | 10 Mar 2015, 01:43 PM Agree 0
    Door Openers

Bottom line realtors are overcharging for a lic/course that takes 3 months. If they took a 4 year degree in litigation,construction,legal maybe they would be worth 1%. Stop bickering over part/full time..the model is broken and few greedy ones are swooping it up..

prices of homes has risen not the value of realtors .... Consumers wake up and keep u cash
  • Move on!! | 10 Mar 2015, 02:12 PM Agree 0
    You obviously DO NOT know what you are talking about. I feel sorry for you Mr. Know it all.
  • Tour Guides | 10 Mar 2015, 02:23 PM Agree 0
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/09/toronto-real-estate-data_n_6831824.html

Huffington post had a interesting article yesterday

ur right "move on" to a better model of not over charging for a broken system...pay top 1,000-2,000 per transaction.
  • Maxy | 11 Mar 2015, 03:39 PM Agree 0
    I believe REP should discourage or completely disallow anonymous comments. People who make anonymous comments are either hiding something or are not convinced of the opinions they put out. If one cannot publicly acknowledge ones opinion, the public should not be bothered by such opinion. REP do something about this. REP is a professional forum not just another social medium.
  • NO | 18 Mar 2015, 06:32 PM Agree 0
    I am a real estate agent for over 40 years and believe to be professional - it must be a full time career. It should be the only way to be a Realtor. I worked through all the "downturns" in the economy. I raised two kids and helped with my grandchildren during this period. My husband is also a realtor for the past 23/24 years, so no other income.
    We have learned to manage in the "winter months" and "downturns" - without needing to work part time to build up a career. You build you career by being a professional full time realtor.
    Realtors are considered "Professionals" - like doctors, lawyers, dentists - so if we are "professional" then let's all be professionals and give our all as a Realtor - not as a part timer.
    One of the most annoying things I run into is trying to make appointments and the sellers "part time agent" is not available to take my call/email/whatever until _ their break or lunch or even sometimes after hours. This is certainly not giving the potential buyer a fair shake in viewing a particular property (which may sell quickly.
    So, in my view and the view of many of my professional realtors - No Part Timers
  • Reality | 20 Mar 2015, 09:47 AM Agree 0
    The ego again is comparing themselves to a doctor,lawyer!!?? u are a tour guide who looks up comparables. Make the License a 4 -6 year course where u have expertise in accounting,construction,legal and maybe it would be worth 2000-4000.

My accountant does all my taxes which are very complicated and charges 3000-4000!!!!!! How in the world being a tour guide and looking up resales be worth 20,000-50,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Full Disclosure | 21 Mar 2015, 10:50 AM Agree 0
    My problem is not with part-timers conducting real estate business. My issue is that the Real Estate Boards & CREA does not take the issue seriously enough to demand that the CLIENTS/ CUSTOMERS/ PUBLIC are aware of their agent's availability.

Simply put - how many clients WOULD NOT have hired their agent knowing the REALTOR worked 30 or 40 hours a week at Petro Canada, Sobeys or driving a truck? My guess is MANY -if not ALL- real estate clients would prefer to pay their 5% (or whatever) to a full-time agent ... for many, MANY reasons.

Whatever happened to the "full disclosure" we all harp on about relentlessly?

Of most importance, the PUBLIC need and deserve to know what other employment their potential agent is dedicated to. The needs of the public should always come first - but they just don't when it comes to this.

We ALL have lives outside of real estate (who in what career doesn't?!) .... but what I'm discussing is OTHER EMPLOYMENT. Many in

If being a part-time agent is okay, then place the very fact and details on your webpage and in all your marketing. Tell the Sellers at your Listing Presentations.

If the public are all well & fine with the concept of part-time REALTOR ... then where are all the brokerage's cashing in? Where are the brokerages and agents that advertise with REAL "full disclosure" facts? They don't exist. They know the consequences of giving the public choice based on facts. Better to deceive.

Why not band together and open your own part-time real estate company: 'Acme Part Time Realty.' I haven't noticed anything like this. EVER. Maybe because the idea of a truly available, fully professional and 100% effective part -time REALTOR is ludicrous.
  • Susan - Comox Valley, BC | 21 Mar 2015, 06:38 PM Agree 0
    This topic is really getting tired. No one will ever agree. I consider myself a FULL-TIME Realtor who works Part-time.
    I work 3.5 hours Monday to Friday in a clerical position so I can keep my health and dental benefits and have a small pension when I retire. My clients are aware and think I am smart to do so. I am a single woman who has to secure her own financial future. My clients get my full attention and I give great customer service. Many other realtors own businesses or have children that limit there availability. It does not have to be a reflection of their ability.
  • yeah!! | 23 Mar 2015, 12:01 PM Agree 0
    More agents !!!!
  • Doug | 23 Mar 2015, 02:44 PM Agree 0
    I don't think "part-time" is determined not by hours spent. It is determined by experience and consistency of practice. Think of the 10,000 hour principal. It takes 10,000 hours to master a skill. Dealing with the largest asset most people will own deserves nothing less than this level of knowledge whether directly or in the background. I don't think the consumer is well-served by an agent who is new and unsupervised, who works on a minimal number of transactions or has long periods of time between transactions. How can someone who has done 3 deals or does 3-4 deals a year have the same level and diversity of knowledge as someone who does 50-100 transactions per year or someone who has done 12 deals a year for 30 years. When I am interviewing professionals or tradespeople to provide services I want to know how many times they have dealt with my particular situation. When was the last time they dealt with a similar situation? It helps if a "part-time" agent is supported by a partner, team or hands-on broker/manager. One model might be to require direct supervision of new or less productive agents. We might consider a stricter mentor model similar to a lawyers.

• Greed brings down the mighty | 24 Mar 2015, 10:48 AM Agree 0
    I vote for more agents!! The world is moving to the DYI model with easy information and shock how easy it is to research and sell ur own home. Save ur money for ur onw kids,mortgage payments etc...Agents are not worth 4-5% ...my accountant offers me more advice,information,direction on my taxes every year and pay him few thousand. How can a agent who looks up comparables and does tours be worth 5-10 times more??

With that thinking accountants should be charging 10 times too..but the only reason is home prices went up not the service or value of realtors...I guess some consumers just like to give their money away..
  • Lyndsey Wrightly | 06 Apr 2015, 12:46 PM Agree 0
    I am a part time agent. I've been in the business 2.5 years. By the time I got my license I was recently separated with my 2 yr old living with me full time. Yes 2 years later maybe I should be full time. But I need the reliability of a pay check to support myself and child not to mention practically FREE benefits, which you don't get with a real estate only income. I am one of the lucky ones though. I don't feel my attention to clients suffer. I do have day job I work 5 hrs a day. I work in a classroom with 7 staff and at best 10 students who are extremely low maintenance, usually with many kids absent a day. We get breaks, we get lunch, I respond to emails throughout the day, I return calls throughout the day. My office books our showings for all of us, not just me. I get sick days, I get appointment days, I get unpaid days off. We get holidays, lay offs, PA days etc. And because my business is not established yet my job is not an issue to need to be disclosed at this point. I have disclosed it in the past and it wasn't an issue. People understand the need for benefits with a child, and seem to think I am doing something great because I work with special needs children. When I get busy consistently I can quit the school. But to suggest I am part time because I'm a bad agent I think is a little harsh. Doesn't mean I don't wait for my buyers to get off work at 5 and show them houses until its dark. It doesn't mean I don't spent 12 hours a day with them on weekends showing houses(with my 5 yr old in tow), it doesn't mean I'm not doing open houses for my colleagues. Some of us work as hard as we can to prove we are better than part time status. We might put a 8pm irrevocable on an offer, but who cares? Often our clients work during the week too, or do shift work. Its not always my job that interferes. Let's keep in mind there are big named full time realtors that don't return messages, emails, showing requests, submit sign back offers after the irrevocable has expired etc. We also have established full time realtors who are up on numerous complaints etc .
Post a reply