Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Part-timers on their way out?

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 30 Oct 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Why agents may be able to look forward to more rather than less business as the market cools
  • Nick Slezinski | 31 Oct 2015, 07:06 PM Agree 0
    In my extensive experience (licensed since 1975) I do not see the purpose of PART-TIME real estate agents ! This is due to the proven fact they do NOT have their full attention on market prices or conditions. If it was not for the MLS numbers, prices and other facts , these part-timers would be completely lost ! In my opinion they do not serve either buyers or sellers properly and to the best ability available ! Some provinces do NOT allow part-timers and I feel that Alberta should change regulations immediately ! This is not in any manner prejudicial or unfair - I would not try and be a part time pharmacist for example ! Realtors are educated and licensed, NOT primarily for money, but to service buyers and sellers correctly and to the best of our ability. In doing so, we are remunerated and make a good living as PROFESSIONAL Realtors . Part-timers are there mainly to assist with or add to their income from their primary job ! This is Not right on so many fronts ! Regards, Nick Slezinski ReMax First, Calgary, AB.,
  • Aldo | 31 Oct 2015, 08:18 PM Agree 0
    Loosers looking for scapegoats
  • Haze | 01 Nov 2015, 04:44 PM Agree 0
    "Losers" if gonna be negative and trolling at least spell it correctly.
  • Barry Lebow | 01 Nov 2015, 06:32 PM Agree 0
    There are zero solutions to part time agents. It is so true, they do not service the public well, on average. They are opportunists, in for that one or two deals to beef up their regular pay cheques. You cannot legislate them out of business. I can see many areas where someone can be deemed a part time agent (property management, appraisal, etc.) and yet be part of professional real estate.

I have read so many forums on this issue, to ad nauseam. My solution is simplistic, and will never happen - make Board fees $5,000 minimum per year. When I was an appraiser, my fees were extremely high, my e&o higher and the best appraisers barely reach the levels of average, decent Realtors. High fees, will be the process over all else to eliminate the bulk of part timers. And as I stated, will never happen, boards want and need membership.
  • Realty Cheque | 01 Nov 2015, 06:48 PM Agree 0
    The reality is that, in many companies, the part-timers aren't the pimple on the elephant's butt, they're the elephant. As any real estate agent knows, there is almost NO barrier to entry into the business. If you can pass the courses and you can fog a mirror, then congrats, let's get you some business cards. If Broker A won't hire you, just cross the street to the welcoming bosom of Broker B and be prepared to shake hands with your new co-workers. You'll have your own cubicle long before you ever need to meet with Broker C. When it's that easy, why wouldn't the biz be full of part-timers?

And, just maybe there's a problem with the business model of a lot of companies. How many small brokerages would tell you (off the record, of course) that they would prefer to have 5 agents who never exceed a 70/30 split, but collectively do the same volume of business as 1 diva who hits 90/10 in May? The insufferable 90/10 guy might be a real pro, but it's the 70/30 gang that is paying for the owner's Lexus, and they're a hell of a lot easier to pluck off the street than a top producer.

And, how about the sponsoring of new agent hires in the hopes of scoring a lifetime of residual beer money? That wouldn't contribute to the glut of part-timers in any way, would it?

And not to be ageist here, but a lot of the part-timers are silver-haired devils, who either get into real estate after tapping out of their 9-to-5 jobs or who have been hanging around real estate forever and still cling to their decades old licenses long after they've lost their competitive edge. Many of these agents are techno-neanderthals who have no desire to advance their skills or to keep pace with changes to the industry (a lot can change while you're hunkered down in Florida for the winter). But, who's going to fire them when they might bring in $10,000 a year, pay their office bill (sooner or later), and cause little or no grief to their employers?

There have always been a lot of part-timers in the business and I don't know what it might take to disincentivize them, other than making it much harder (read: more expensive) to get into the business, or, once in, much less desirable (read: more expensive) to hang around the Keurig all day talking about expensive wine and luxury cruises. One thing is for certain, your broker/owner has no plans to kick them to the curb as long as that Lexus purrs like a kitten.
  • Beat-iT | 01 Nov 2015, 11:15 PM Agree 0
    Some if the shadiest agents I've encountered have been "full-timers". They'll lie their way into making sales stick.
  • Steve Krofchick | 01 Nov 2015, 11:41 PM Agree 0
    Canada is a democracy and is based on free enterprise. People shouldn't worry so much about what others are doing and focus more on what they are doing to prepare for whats coming next. The weak, weather part time or full time will disappear when the going gets tough. I'm a full time realtor and live and breath real estate but last time i checked in Canada you can be what ever you want to be and that's why I'm a proud Canadian! Due to the economic outlook and the major change in government I'm already working on a contingency plan just in case times get much tougher than we're expecting. Something tells me that the wrong government got voted in at a extremely volatile time. Canada was doing fine considering the rest of the world and everyone was looking at Canada and praising our banking system and economy. I live by the motto "if it ain't broken why fix it" Hopefully things will turn out for the best in the end.
  • LK | 03 Nov 2015, 02:00 PM Agree 0
    One of the most intelligent comments full of good logic and common sense.
  • LK | 03 Nov 2015, 02:22 PM Agree 0
    LET US THINK A BIT. THERE IS LIMITED INVENTORY TO SELL. THE REAL ESTATE BOARDS HAVE NO LIMITS ON THE NUMBER OF AGENTS THAT GRADUATE. DO A LITTLE ANALYSIS. HOW MANY HOMES SELL IN A YEAR IN YOUR AREA? HOW MANY AGENTS IN YOUR AREA? DIVIDE THE NUMBER OF AGENTS INTO THE NUMBER OF SALES. WHAT IS THE AVERAGE NUMBER OF HOMES PER AGENT? SINCE SALES PER AGENT IS SLANTED TO THE FACT THAT 10% OF THE AGENTS DO 80% OF THE BUSINESS THERE IS NOT MUCH LEFT TO SPLIT AMONG THE 90% OF THE OTHER AGENTS. HENCE THE RISE OF THE PART TIMERS.

BASICALLY THE REAL ESTATE INDUSTRY CANNOT SUPPORT ALL THE AGENTS. THAT IS WHY WE HAVE PART TIME AGENTS. THE INDUSTRY IS GEARED FOR THIS.
Post a reply