Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Part-timers vs Full-timers

Notify me of new replies via email
SuzieStanford | 05 Mar 2015, 04:02 PM Agree 0
Can anyone explain the "war" occurring between part-time agents and full-time. I consider part-timers just like the rookies who come in and start selling? Are they really as much of a threat as some are making it out to be? Curious to hear people's thoughts on this.
  • greed | 06 Mar 2015, 12:26 PM Agree 0
    their own industry pushed for more agents to sign up .....those agents need to eat or help with monthly payments. Like anything someone is greedy and things get heated...
  • Realtor | 06 Mar 2015, 12:41 PM Agree 0
    In Winnipeg all realtors are full time. Let face facts and realize that today's agent must be full time to have a high level competence. Not that all full time realtors are fully competent but please do not expect the the average 9-5er to have even a mediocre level of competence in real estate.
    We all deal with professional every day and appreciate their expertise.
    Nuffield said!
  • Greed and Ego | 06 Mar 2015, 01:01 PM Agree 0
    Being a realtor is not rocket science and the ego that u have to be full time to add/offer value is just ego... it is just tour/taxi service where they look up previous resales...what else is there except bidding wars ,pressure,emotion

You barley need a high school diploma to become agent
  • | 06 Mar 2015, 01:02 PM Agree 0
    Greed its the mother of all evils ,whoever has taking the real estate course and has qualified for his /hers license ,and pays all the dues ,is also eligible to work as many hours he/she wants ,after all some people get in the business because of the independence and flexibility of the working days /hours and freedom to work as you wish ,in fact the less a broker works (part timer ) the more advantageous it is for the full timer ,but as always the rich and Greedy want everything for themselves ,unfortunately this is the ugly truth ;Instead of feeling sorry and have some compassion for this so called part timers, that they have to do some other unpleasant or unwanted jobs to survive ,and they still have the same expense licenses office fees etc etc ,they are also criticized and bombarded with complaints from the precious full timers ; If a part timer its not capable of satisfying his/hers clients wishes demands of service ,then surely they will loose this client and the full timer will acquire that particular client that was found by the part timer , and the full timer will finally be happy ,and the part timer will go to welfare i guess ,is this what the full timer wants for his part time colleague ? I am thoroughly disgusted just by the issue
  • Commission Wars | 06 Mar 2015, 04:07 PM Agree 0
    I agree it is disgusting that they push to become a realtor aand the egos complain ...they should be happy all those dues/fees are protecting their momnopoly and keeping them employed...greedy !!!! they should be thanking the part timers for their support not acting lie they invented they wheel I selling real etate that basically sells itself these days..

$500-1,000 transactions,,more agents!!
  • EddieN | 06 Mar 2015, 04:41 PM Agree 1
    What monopoly are people talking about? What rocket science? Who is protecting commissions? Who is a taxi driver and a tour guide? Let's be honest. There are only two aspects to this. One, the boards and associations are in the business of making money by pushing out agents, regardless whether these agents are capable of protecting their client's interests or not. Two, the fact remains that newbies, part-timers, and even some full-timers are not capable of protecting client's interests. They don't know the laws. They don't understand ethics. They don't possess the depth and experience of how to do a proper job as a realtor. Yes, it is easy to sell a hot property and sometimes we feel like taxi drivers, but in the end we have a responsibility to those we represent. Our liabilities are similar, if not the same or greater than those of lawyers. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to be a lawyer but you wouldn't want a part-time lawyer representing you. Why else are you paying them $350 per hour? They don't drive you around. They don't do research and evaluate properties. They don't need any knowledge of construction or be liable for patent and latent defects. We do! So, let's get real and be realtors. We provide a service, but by allowing inexperienced and unprofessional individuals represent the public is a danger to the public and our profession.
  • george | 06 Mar 2015, 05:57 PM Agree 0
    ...this fulltime is nonsense...how can a person that deals with upteen listings, phone rings every five minutes..(to the point they can not even have a five minute private conversation)....be any more professional than a part timer that deals with 1 or two clients. They give 100% to these clients...they see the transaction from A to Z...so really we vare full time within those parameters,...that is real professionalism. There is absolute no proof that a full time has more knowledge...in fact a part timer has more time to research, asses all situations...in a calm, unstressed, productive way. So please, you so called fulltimers, get off your presumtious high horse...you are no better or worse. The issue of working "fulltime"...while moonlighting to survive was resolved some 25 years ago in courts of law where it was proven that the "mandatory fulltime regime" was nothing more than exploitatation and ussury. Part timer and proud of it...and yes I was there 30 years ago...driving a large 4 door gas guzzler in a suit and barely had enough for groceries...especially while working for predatory "professional fulltime brokers"...that do not personally pay you one red cent.
  • MORE PART TIME AGENTS | 06 Mar 2015, 06:37 PM Agree 0
    George is right more part timers and buyers / sellers will get more attention and pay less too....More Agents!!! More Agents!!! Especially more part time agents!! Plus, I really don't see the difference between part time and full time ..realtors are basically doing a part time job for each client!!!
  • george | 06 Mar 2015, 07:21 PM Agree 0
    ...thank you ..to previous contribuitor...I understand the principle of full time...commitment...yes indeed...extremly important...but as you mentioned it comes down to personal attention to detail, putting oneself in the client's shoes and treating them like a good friend or family. For the client especially young families they will cherrish that relationship for a very long time and chances are repeat business will come from it with their friends and family...what could be more rewarding to a realtor..?
  • GREED | 07 Mar 2015, 08:50 AM Agree 1
    In the real world Realtors who charge 4-6% have never justified their fees. Prices of home have risen drastically not the service or value of realtors...they got a free ride and should not be so greedy because all the new agents,struggling agents need to eat and they will do anything that is why we see COMMISSION WARS!!! But the Egos say just be like me!!!! Sounds like the presidential candidate where everyone should be a millionaire!!
  • | 09 Mar 2015, 11:38 AM Agree 0
    This business is funny. Any idiot can get a license and then go out there and BS people. I got mine in 5 months and barely studied for any of the exams. When people compare us to lawyers and doctors I find that comical. Our schooling wouldn't even qualify us to answer phones for them!
    Want to make this industry more respected? Want to ensure commissions aren't bastardized even further?
    Make it far tougher to get a license!! We should all have to take university level courses on real estate law and litigation. We should all have to take extensive courses on home construction etc. By this I mean REAL courses, not one where all you have to do is click a mouse on a website and go to the next page of an online course and then take some bogus test at the end that EVERYONE passes. In class with a tough closed book final exam.
    That'll quickly change everything. Problem is we have OREA pumping in and out as many people as possible to keep the money train rolling and then we have TREB and other boards constantly needing new recruits to keep new money coming in. Keeping up the practices spells disaster for the future of this business. Sort of like spending to get out of a recession. Future generations end up paying for it.
  • Infomercial | 09 Mar 2015, 06:56 PM Agree 0
    now we are talking if someone had that extensive background in legal,construction,litigation I would even step up to 2,000-3,000 per transaction ..it would be well deserved.. It was just like a assembly.infomercial to sign anyone and anybody to be licensed for easy street ..so they marketed it that way////you too can be a tour guide and make 20,000-50,000 off of friends and family!!

prices of home went, up service went down and their commissions sky rocketed off the back of the conusmers....
  • MOre Agents | 10 Mar 2015, 02:26 PM Agree 0
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/09/toronto-real-estate-data_n_6831824.html

check out the article in the post
Post a reply