Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Poll results: Do agents willingly disclose murder or suicide?

Notify me of new replies via email
Justin da Rosa | 10 Aug 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
It’s a topic that stirred much debate among real estate agents – and now we know how common it is to disclose house stigmas to potential buyers
  • Richard Beaumier | 10 Aug 2016, 10:57 AM Agree 0
    In Quebec, there is no choice. Brokers have a mandatory seller's declaration form with a specific question on that issue to be answered by the seller. This form must be attached to all residential listings. Simple, efficient. Full disclosure is key.
  • Richard Beaumier | 10 Aug 2016, 10:59 AM Agree 0
    Public protection is at the heart of any profession. Public : sellers AND buyers.
  • andrew | 11 Aug 2016, 12:23 AM Agree 0
    If it bothers a buyer, they can buy another house and I see no harm in disclosing at all. I would ask the seller for permission but realistically I would not know if the seller did not tell me......most likely, and if they tell me obviously in most cases they are saying it to make it known and I would be quick enough to look for instruction,.....and with many real old homes I assume someone likely has passed on and heave even joked with customers to small degree about that exactly....it has a certain intrigue to it...... no harm done..... I personally bought a building well over a hundred years old, three townhomes converted to a six plex, I certainly assume someone live till their end. No big deal for me and my tenants, nobody ever brought it up. And we don't know. Easy enough.
  • Susan Kuk | 14 Aug 2016, 03:36 PM Agree 0
    I think,we the Agents, should have a freedom of judgement not disclose any death of the Vendors family if no one's asking this kind of
    questions unless the potential Buyers are asking. We,the Listing Agents should try to do our best to look after the Vendors property as much as possible to get their property sold in a reasonable price & less inconvenient time not to talk about the death of the family w/o
    the Buyers asking. If we do honestly disclose the death in the Vendor's family in the same property without the Potential Buyers asking
    that could jeopadised the whole deal. Anyway, most of the deaths happent in the hospital & not home.
  • Lakeshore | 14 Aug 2016, 06:03 PM Agree 0
    Susan you have no "freedom" you have duties & responsibilities. If a agent/ broker is unwillling to discover material facts & will only disclose those facts in a small percentage of cases, why would the general public ever do business with a Realtor. Not the Realtors right to make decisions on behalf of seller or buyer. Selling & buying agents google the address & the names of last couple of owners. Anything hat has been in the papers, including murders &
    obits will show.
  • JJ | 14 Aug 2016, 06:43 PM Agree 0
    As a realtor I believe it is important for us to disclose whether there has been a murder, suicide, drowning etc at any given property. It then becomes the choice of the buyer whether or not they wish to purchase it. For some buyers it will be a deal breaker, others don't care.
  • Dick Brady | 14 Aug 2016, 07:24 PM Agree 0
    I always disclose a suicide or murder on the property, however, anything else is very subjective. Someone passing away on the premises really doesn't matter to the majority of Buyers. As for haunted, I would never mention that since it does not exist to me. If you believe a property is haunted then it likely is - if you don't believe, then it isn't!! I guess my first sentence and last sentence are contradictory as why disclose a suicide or murder unless someone believes in the ever after. Bottom line? Disclose everything and let the Buyer decide.

Post a reply