Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Potential regulation for Airbnb rentals

Notify me of new replies via email
Justin da Rosa | 07 Sep 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Two major GTA cities may crack down on this popular investment option
  • Alister | 07 Sep 2016, 11:54 AM Agree 1
    We must not allow Government to dictate and remove or restrict every aspect of ownership rights! Otherwise ownership of property itself will be of little value. As it is government taxes on real estate are already stifling, and if an owners ability to make some income from their already over taxed property is yet further compromised we should demand, that our taxes be reduced to offset the lost potential income that government would have denied the property owner.
  • Al Daimee | 07 Sep 2016, 12:11 PM Agree 0
    I think it is time for there to be some kind of regulation for short-term rentals within Condominiums, since there is often friction between long-term residents and neighbouring units with transient "guests". Most condos have rules implemented that restrict the minimum rental term, but there are others that have a Declaration that prevents such rules from being enforceable.

I have been a condo board director for over 6 years in 2 different buildings. The Declarations between these 2 buildings were quite different with respect to rental rules and allowed one building to implement a minimum 6 month term and the other is prevented from putting any kind of restrictions on the timeframe of a rental at all. This means rooms could even be rented by the hour, if so desired.

The Condominium Act should be addressing specifically the use of short-term rentals, which are considered by many to be the equivalent of hotel rooms and using a unit for commercial purposes. These guests are often free to use the amenities, visitor parking, leave bags with the concierge upon "check-out" and can sometimes be quite disruptive to neighbours with little repercussions, since they are often gone within a short period of time before any form of punishment can be administered.

• AL | 07 Sep 2016, 01:33 PM Agree 1
    I am all in favor of some sensible rules but when you suggest wide sweeping rules I despair at your lack of knowledge, painting everything with the same brush you have failed to recognize that that the majority of owners are responsible and are concerned about who they allow to use their units such as myself, we purchased a condo for personal use but do not reside there full-time! We chose our condo on the basis that we could in actual fact offer it when it is vacant to Airbnb guests. This helps pay the over inflated taxes and the condo fees. We are very selective who we let in and Airbnb does an excellent job of pre-screening and providing details of the guests in advance.
    Why are some people so narrow sighted as to suggest removing our property rights and their failure to see the impact that would have on individual freedoms etc, the only route to consider is strict penalties on individuals who cause problems, you should not be penalizing everyone.
    As for suggesting a minimum rental period that is totally the wrong direction, that would mean the owner loses control of his property to a tenant who has all the rights under the landlord and tenant act, so if you land up with a bad tenant everybody suffers until finally at great expense to the landlord, that bad tenant can be finally be evicted from the property.
    Generally speaking an Airbnb guest pays considerably more than a residential tenant. This means that the guest is most likely a person with responsibility and a credit card! So far we have had doctors, teachers, pilots, nurses, mature students & international visitors stay at our condo usually from a week to a month at a time!
    A noise ordinance is certainly acceptable to impose but, be be very careful about giving local authorities more powers, over our ownership rights!

• Natalia S | 07 Sep 2016, 01:58 PM Agree 1
    I think that short term tenants should be allowed as long as they are quiet and following rules. Short term tenants do not bring furniture and pets with them, so they do not damage common area. Airbnb is doing great job to help us to find a good place to rent fast. I stayed multiple times in the properties offered by Airbnb because hotels were not suitable for 1 month stay. My family respected all rules in that building. Let's support Airbnb!
  • LanceH | 07 Sep 2016, 02:20 PM Agree 1
    Ahhh yes - there's been a complaint.

That's music to the ears of the hardcore Lefty's that feel the need to strangle society with their excessive interference! As a landlord, I can't evict a tenant without the Gov's approval. In essence, they've seized my property!! I can't even evict them to fix it up and sell it. Nope - I gotta sell it as-is, with rotten tenants, and take a bath. Do you think Wynn will reimburse me for this loss?

I've come to the view that we should simply resist any and all proposed regulations. Oh I know we could use a few, but once you open that door, is a free-for-all. The only way to keep a lid on it, is not have them at all. Which is really too bad, but the Lefty's have "eradicated" (a fav word of theirs) the word "moderation" from their lexicon. (and that's no joke!!)
  • Mike | 08 Sep 2016, 10:21 PM Agree 1
    I think property rights have been restricted enough as it is. Government regulations are not always fair to everyone and further rules to an already over-ruled system is ludicrous. Why have you been a director for 2 different condominiums? Did you not like the first one and move? Or do you own several units? If you own more than one ... Do you rent the other one out? And so what if they use the facilities that's their for owners or renters to use. Sounds like you are making up some of the stuff you're saying. How do you know they used the facilities? Did you follow them and visitors parking is there for visitors... So what.. You sound like a grumpy person who should be in the middle of nowhere. Personally I would not want to be stuck with a tenant and have to face the tenant board... They disregard legal and binding contracts and the residing chairman or chairwoman in EVERY case that I've seen has made extremely poor decisions. In most cases they penalize the landlord and favor the tenant. Watch the people stride out of that court.. The laughing ones are the tenants who are living rent free and possibly dodging utilities and who knows what ever other debt they've accumulated and the landlords are the ones with the confused looks who pay a mortgage. This is government ruling and you want more of that... Go to a communist country then, you'll have plenty of rules there. Cheers
  • Tom M | 10 Sep 2016, 11:00 AM Agree 0
    I notice that a lot of these responses talk about property rights. Condo buildings are already governed by a set of rules. If I don't like wet dogs in a building, and I purchase in a no pets building, I expect to live in a building free of pets. If I don't want to live in a transient building, then I'll buy in a building that only allows for long term leases. If you want to buy a hotel style building, there are lots of them around. Buy that and run your Airbnb business (tax free no doubt). If you want to see how airbnb rentals affect a building, speak to someone who lives in a building, where people are lined up at the concierge desk checking in guests, while a resident owner is standing behind them waiting to pick up a parcel.
  • Mike | 21 Sep 2016, 10:07 PM Agree 0
    The main point is property rights. Freedom !! We are a somewhat free country so far. It does not have to do with you waiting your turn to pick up a parcel or not liking wet dogs. I suppose all the dog owners wet their dogs prior to entering the building... Another uneducated remark. We are talking about the right to do what you will with a property you paid for. I'm sure that some pet free buildings have a fish tank somewhere in there ... Some with fish ... Some with lizards... Some with snakes. I would rather find a dog lurking about than meet up with a boa constrictor. If you rather not have to line up and wait your turn for the concierge then buy a detached house. Then you can go to the post office and wait in line there to pick up your parcel. How many times do you pick up parcels? I know personally I only have to every few months if that. Sounds like picking up parcels is the only inconvenience and you use your concierge way more than anyone else in the building would.. Perhaps a fee per concierge visit would take care of your problem and we keep our property rights. How's that for a new condominium rule!
Post a reply