Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Quebec FSBO gets its day in court

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 18 Dec 2014, 09:30 AM Agree 0
Save the date: the Quebec Federation of Real Estate Boards will get its day in court on January 8, as its lawsuit against the country's largest for-sale-by-owner company comes to a head.
  • RealtorsCare | 18 Dec 2014, 10:16 AM Agree 0
    Consumers already have the option to negotiate commissions and choose which services they want from their Realtor. One of the main things they want from their representative is honesty and integrity. Kudo's to the board for going after DuProprio for their false advertisements that border on slander.
  • Glen | 18 Dec 2014, 10:28 AM Agree 0
    I congratulate the QREB for their efforts to curb misleading advertising of services offered to the general public, it's about time some organization shows enough intestinal fortitude to bring this issue to a head.
  • | 18 Dec 2014, 10:29 AM Agree 0
    Who has the right to decide what's right for consumer except for the consumer themselves only AFTER they have been given correct and true information. I have been saying for years this is false advertising. Would we, as paying members to our real estate boards allowed to advertise the truth about FSBO's? I'm sure the first ad shining light on their faux pas would be hammered down by our competition board in a heart beat. Ridiculous!
  • Eddie | 18 Dec 2014, 10:29 AM Agree 0
    It's time for TREB to step up.
  • SDW | 18 Dec 2014, 10:52 AM Agree 0
    BANG ON !!! LET'S HOPE OTHER BOARDS AND / OR RECO HAVE THE " COURAGE " TO STOP MIS-LEADING, UNETHICAL MARKETING PRACTICES AND ENFORCE THE REBBA ( REAL ESTATE AND BUSINESS BROKERS ACT ) !!!
    THE " I'LL BUY YOUR HOUSE IF NOT SOLD IN XX DAYS " OR " BUY THIS HOUSE AND I'LL BUY YOURS " ------YES, BUT UNDER WHAT CONDITIONS ? IT'S ALL BALONEY !!!
    LOL----- HOWEVER, IN THIS LOW ENTRY LEVEL, FEE BASED , MULTI ADMINISTRATION INDUSTRY, LET'S WATCH THE " BUCK " GET PASSED AROUND.

• Annie Thai | 18 Dec 2014, 11:24 AM Agree 0
    some private sellers/ buyers,who have reported significant inaccurate squarefootage size, or concealed some important information that must be disclosed to a buyer / seller, are taking advantage of the consumers in such private sales, for example the ones that the Court just issued the injunction Order on them, many thanks to RECA .
  • John | 18 Dec 2014, 11:48 AM Agree 1
    Yes, that's been a ongoing problem with advertising for such FSBO companies, and if a register agent has to abide by advertising rules so must they. Comfee had at one point had on their front page/website "SOLD" SOLD" SOLD" on many of the properties that came up, making it look as if the properties were all Sold by them and their website - and services offered to the public. Then investigating such claims and the address in the TREB MLS Realtors / Broker only DATA system . It showed the property was never SOLD BY COMFREE, but was listed with a REGISTERED agent, and SOLD by an agent" NOT COMFREE" at all. Perhaps COMFREE might have had a listing with the Sellers at one point" but they have no right to abuse this listing and mislead the public " THAT IS FALSE ADVERTING" and they all do it. So that is the based on my experiences of their false and misleading advertising.

Realtors represent clients with honesty and under law, to protect the public. Customers have the right to choose any one of us, under the Real Estate laws of Canada that are in place to protect the public. ALL PROFESSIONALS have fees, get an estimate, but working outside of the law, customers need to be protected by the law. That's why they work with someone that protects them " UNDER THE LAW. I hope this law suite set a once and for all precedent in Canada.

FSBO LAWSUITS - Did you also read about the many law suite against FSBO, That these compaines are covering up and paying off. Sellers misleading the buyers about the property, lies, buried barns, defects, ect ect etc. If Sellers choosing to save 2% to pay their own Realtor to properly represent them with insurance and current knowledge, guidance, documentation, protect their interest properly, market alerts of competing properties, loss of their largest dollar asset. GOOD LUCK!!! hope they have a Million in insurance in today's " call my lawyer" crazy market. Buyers will suit for 100's of thousands, even if it is years later, who helps you if the property has issues and documentation was not done correctly...What is protection under the law worth?

As a professional I do not visit FSBO with any clients due to the Legal risks it puts my buyers and myself in, my job is to PROTECT MY CLIENT FIRST....good luck FSBO
  • Luiz Lameiras | 18 Dec 2014, 02:00 PM Agree 0
    AMEN!!!!
  • Nova Scotian | 18 Dec 2014, 02:06 PM Agree 0
    its time for CREA to step-up if the have the intestinal fortitude...likely not tho' since the "cave -in"
  • Nova Scotian | 18 Dec 2014, 02:09 PM Agree 0
    PropetyGuys does the same here in NS
  • Zelda | 18 Dec 2014, 04:43 PM Agree 0
    The issue is not commission rates.....the issue is honesty in advertising. Sadly, dishonesty is not limited to the unlicensed real estate companies seeking listings. Some Realtors stoop to the same tactics and often skirt on the edges of what is acceptable advertising and statements made. i.e. 'If your house doesn't sell I will buy it' (without fully explaining the rules in the ad), 'cozy little house' 'needs your ideas'
    reducing the name of their r.e. company so small it is almost impossible to read, using personal pictures that are over 10 years old, using a very large' No.1' when not fully explaining what it stands for, sneaking into the addendum 'top up' commission amounts to compensate for a lower selling commission, taking listings without telling the Seller the Realtor only works 'part-time'. Need I go on?
  • Ali Shakeri | 18 Dec 2014, 09:36 PM Agree 0
    It is very important for Real Estate boards across the country to send a firm message to all FSBO companies. I am not at all for Nanny States however we do have regulations in place to primarily protect citizens/consumers by having reserved titles such as Dentist, Lawyer, Engineer, Stock Broker, Real Estate Broker and ... This is in place so that Mr. John Blue does not open a dentist office and operate when he does not have the knowledge and therefore the license. Of course not everyone with a license necessarily has the knowledge, the experience or the passion required for their profession but this is one way to eliminate at least a lot of crooks that would take advantage of mostly poor people. The Real Estate boards should be much more sever with brokers who have intentionally done something to directly or indirectly benefit from a situation at the cost of a client. By being more sever, and brokers actually losing their licenses when they screw someone, we will have less crooks working as real estate broker and consumers' confidence will go back up over time. Consumers have no problem paying for a service such as hiring a real estate broker but they expect professionalism and results - and they are 100% right. Who in the right mind would want to see a dentist in the back of a convenience store? probably only poor people who can't afford a real dentist. The same goes for Real Estate Brokers. Who wants to sell using a FSBO company? probably someone who can't afford or think paying a broker is a waste of money - 100% wrong. If you do have a honest broker, you let him or her in charge and you continue living your life.
    These days everyone wants to reduce cost by cutting somewhere and Brokers usually come on top on the list and that is mostly because most people do not know the amount of work and knowledge that requires to advertise and sign over a property.
    Most of FSBO companies have staff that are somewhat trained in a day at most, where brokers actually have to do courses and pass exams. So it is great to see Real Estate Boards draw the line somewhere and stand behind it and not let FSBO companies devalue work of Real Estate Brokers.
  • Sylvia R | 05 Jan 2015, 11:30 AM Agree 0
    Great! I wish that our Board in Windsor would also file a law suit. We have rules and regulations and these other organizations can advertise however they want and not be reprimanded.
Post a reply