Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Real estate association raises concerns about continuing education program

Notify me of new replies via email
Justin da Rosa | 22 Feb 2017, 08:15 AM Agree 0
The Ontario Real Estate Association has sent a letter to the Real Estate Council of Ontario, arguing the council’s ongoing education program lacks the necessary criteria to challenge agents and help them grow
  • Gurcharan Singh | 22 Feb 2017, 10:54 AM Agree 0
    I hope this is not a lobbying affect by boutique firms those who used to charge hefty amounts for CE packages. CE courses being offered have necessary checks & balances. One can not skip steps and claim completion.
  • Lesley Moll | 22 Feb 2017, 11:08 AM Agree 0
    I'm sure that the courses were a major source of revenue for OREA that they are now not receiving. There is a vested interested by OREA in a return to them running the courses.
    I would argue that, at least the RECO Update course, is no easier or harder then it was when OREA was administering it.
    Lesley Moll
    Broker of Record
    Karma Realty Inc.
    Real Estate Brokerage.
  • | 22 Feb 2017, 11:21 AM Agree 0
    I believe the courses are of value. I belong to a few real estate groups and have discovered that many realtors do not know the REBBA2002 code of ethics and rules that govern us.
    If OREA was to go through the tribunals where agents are fined there will be a common thread of misconduct. The online course should be geared toward the many outcomes and fines against realtors.
    Put back the questions and answers and a pass rate of 80% on each segment before you can move on to the next segment. This worked very well when we had the Mandatory on-line course.
    Teach to what we use mostly in our everyday real estate lives.

I am also of the opinion that the real estate courses for newbies should emphasize more of the basics and REBBA2002.
  • Oscar Vidal-Calvet | 22 Feb 2017, 12:07 PM Agree 0
    OREA is right in showing certain concern about the quality of our profession and the impact the CE courses may have. In fact, the so many years I am licensed I had gone to the classroom, it never bothered me. I personally do not agree with the on-line courses but I remember there were several polls about the convenience of these courses, and everything changed.
    I think it is convenient to go back to the classroom, to have the RECO mandatory course and others more in our education is vital in our profession and overall in any career.
  • Allison | 22 Feb 2017, 01:15 PM Agree 0
    The online courses are great. I'm sure the revenue for OREA is missed but I get more from the online course and actually seem more inclined to pay attention than I ever did at a 3 hours guest speaker lecture on things like feng shui (yes, that was a real in-class OREA course). Plus it was hard to be away from your work for 3 to 6 hours in the middle of the day and try to play catch up when you were done. I found most of the programs pretty lax, lots of off topic conversation and skipping through booklets. With the online courses I can be there when my clients need me and catch up on the courses at hours I choose. Continuing education is important but so is modernisation. Online could use a little more variety but are just as challenging and more informative than the in-class programs were. If we want to get serious test agents on general knowledge and best practices every year and have those who don't pass have to do follow up studies or classroom refreshers. That will get people reading more.
  • | 22 Feb 2017, 03:15 PM Agree 0
    Personally I much prefer going to a classroom than Sitting alone staring at a computer screening for hours on end. That is not the nature of a people person which Is what Realtors are. However I do really appreciate the lower cost. I always felt the courses we're a major source of revenue for Orea and Treb. We have enough expenses already. So maybe a happy balance can be struck. The online class was depressing and the software was not user friendly was from the last century. There were no interesting topic's at least not the way they were presented.
  • Mr Realtor | 22 Feb 2017, 03:51 PM Agree 0
    It seems to me that those who favor the in class approach are realtors who do little business and therefore have the free time to sit in a classroom for hours for multiple courses. I like the fact that the online courses for can be done at anytime and do not interfere with all my buying, selling and everything involved with running a successful real estate business. Some of these paper pushers need to stop justifying their jobs. Make the original courses more comprehensive and charge more for the courses if you want to make more money from this process.
  • Nick Vassov, ReMax Aboutowne | 23 Feb 2017, 11:44 AM Agree 0

I was stunned when a few years back Reco decided to put the update course strictly online. In my opinion, this move went against all principles of what we are as agents and what we do in dealing with people. To make a course as automated as possible in a people oriented business certainly goes against the grain. Meeting up with old and new friends and colleagues is not only uplifting it's crucial. We hear lots of different stories at these events that only enhances our reason for taking a Reco update course.
    Get back in the people business. That's why we're here in the first place.
    Secondly.... visiting the Vendors display of their ever changing real estate programs is a great option for those that want to improve their business
  • frank | 26 Feb 2017, 04:03 PM Agree 0
    previous education programs were a complete money grab and a pain in the neck/waste of time RECO's update course is fine. those who need to be educated should do so because they want to. So let them educate themselves or sooner or later end up losing their licences. Stop mandating it. I would love to get rid of OREA and CREA unless lobby groups for everyone except realtors I can't as a member of TREB
  • Louis | 27 Feb 2017, 07:26 AM Agree 0
    Disappointed in OREAs letter; it does not represent my views or the view of my real estate associates. It is a self-serving letter to support and justify the relevance of OREA and their exorbitant fees for the insignificant services they provide.

For every member who supports OREA's claims in their letter, a 100, including me, are in favor of RECO's educational program, low fee and cost-effective approach to education and to provide us, realtors and brokers, the necessary update to keep us informed.

• MS Realtor | 27 Feb 2017, 12:48 PM Agree 0
    While I would welcome the conversation that Orea believes it can assist in bettering the CE Education I am not so certain it is the majority of members who are looking to go back wards with this.

The open letter reads that there are no controls for on line education, my question to Orea and Tim Hudak is what controls were in place when we could take the courses on line with Orea ? To my knowledge they were the same as Reco has but it did not appear to bother Orea when they were being paid to do courses.

Also the cost we are currently paying 44.00 per year for on line and you want us to go back to pay 700-800 for the courses we had . The in class courses we had were no better than what we have now.
    To think that we should pay to allow agents to get together is not what Education is about. .

I would think the boards and associations should step up and put courses on if the agents want to be better educated. Many agents will attend and pay for these courses. This allows the extra learning but does not have agents paying for in class courses to assist with those who do not like on line.
    Part of the reason to my understanding of why Reco went on line was to allow the agents to have the opportunity to take these courses at there own times of day. Agents as you know are busy all different hours of the day.
    Also to have the same information to all agents regardless of were they are in the province.
    This is vital for consumer protection which is to my understanding what Reco is mandated to do.

I have attended Orea courses when they had the instructors and often the information was incorrect. I have also witnessed on many of the courses agent signing in and then sitting in the hall way until the end when they had to sign out . That was with instructor in control and still no control.

If Orea is looking at helping the members they have the knowledge and resources to give the members training Reco does not.
    Orea should put on courses on how to sell how to market and help the new agents as well as the long time agents.

The CE Education from Reco does not ,has never and will never cover training like that.

I am not one of the agents looking to go backwards. Leave Reco to do what they are doing and Orea step up and give us courses, we will pay for them .The bulk of agents want to be better educated and are almost always wanting what is best for the clients.
    In all professions we will have those who work outside the lines but I do not think we should believe all agents are not taking the courses them selves.The pride of what they do is far more important for the bulk of agents in this province in my opinion. I look forward to seeing what you do for us with change comes opportunity .

• Beverly Stephenson - Registered Salesperson | 01 Mar 2017, 11:16 AM Agree 0
    I appreciate the courses because they focus on what is really important; e.g. Ethical practices & being Client centric. and ease of accessibility.
  • | 03 Mar 2017, 01:23 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Lesley Moll.
    "I'm sure that the courses were a major source of revenue for OREA that they are now not receiving. There is a vested interested by OREA in a return to them running the courses.
    I would argue that, at least the RECO Update course, is no easier or harder then it was when OREA was administering it.
    Lesley Moll
    Broker of Record
    Karma Realty Inc.
    Real Estate Brokerage."

Dr. Muhammad Malik (PhD Engg)
    President/Broker of Record
    Ontario Wide Realty Brokerage
  • Dr. Muhammad Malik (PhD Engg) | 03 Mar 2017, 01:24 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Lesley Moll.
    "I'm sure that the courses were a major source of revenue for OREA that they are now not receiving. There is a vested interested by OREA in a return to them running the courses.
    Lesley Moll
    Broker of Record
    Karma Realty Inc.
    Real Estate Brokerage."

Dr. Muhammad Malik (PhD Engg)
    President/Broker of Record
    Ontario Wide Realty Brokerage
  • Full time realtor | 06 Mar 2017, 09:28 AM Agree 0
    In class courses have their benefits for some students and on-line have benefits for others, especially those in more remote areas that do not want to drive an hour or more each way to attend an in-class. As for the fees, these courses, however presented, should be priced for neutral revenue (costs to provide equal actual costs) so no income to be derived after all costs are taken into account. In other words, not used a a profit-generating vehicle for OREA. That's the only way to ensure realtors are getting "real" value. However, if OREA needs money to operate, they will either make it on courses or make in in dues so no real chance of relief for those paying the dues. Sort of like Provincial math... give to one and take from another and make it look like you are helping everyone.
    The problem is more one of efficiency or inefficiency.
    Regarding RECO, poor training=more errors=more fines so really, what is their motivation? Certainly not to look after those paying the dues!
Post a reply