Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Shortage of ground housing challenging realtors

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 10 Jun 2015, 11:30 AM Agree 0
Municipalities in the GTA are ignoring a requirement to keep three years’ worth of serviced land ready for new home construction – something hurting sales opportunities for agents.
  • EddieN | 10 Jun 2015, 02:47 PM Agree 0
    Municipalities would rather have high rise condos with increased density thus taking in more tax dollar and development charges. But government is not the only one to blame. The new generation of property buyers do NOT want to live in the far reaches of 905 and spend their lives in traffic. They want to socialize locally, walk, bike, bus, etc and be close to work. They are happy to live in 600 sq ft or less. That's good thing. No more destruction of perfectly good farmland. No more stupid urban sprawl with 3 hr traffic jams on a sunday. No more ugly bog box stores with massive parking lots. People are finally waking up to a better alternative to the american way of life.
  • jeff | 10 Jun 2015, 07:28 PM Agree 0
    Maybe in the large metro centers that comment is valid, but the smaller towns and cities that have their own sustainable economy and job market, hmmm maybe not so much IE try MB, Sk, Ab. lots of places outside of the GTA

the litmus test is to ask the buyers where is the tipping point with the 5 day a week commute that will drive you to a 600 -900 ft condo in a highrise in the down town core rather than the burbs. is it 1/2 hr commute, is it 3/4 or maybe an hour commute that you will tolerate in order to enjoy a 1200 to 1800 single family with yard for the kids to play, playgrounds and schools nearby, and a front porch to watch the crazy neighbours.

unless your at the height of rush hour on the deerfoot, even Calgary provides easy access to work from the burbs in under an hour. regina Saskatoon 1/2 hour, where I am 10 minutes.

if municipalites ( city councils) every decide to limit suburban growth (where there is room for urban growth) because of the negative attitudes to suburban sprawl I suspect the buyers developers and builders will speak with their wallets and move to greener pastures where they can raise their kids, rather than in the concrete jungle.

I suspect there is lots of job supported economies around the GTA where people still want to live in the burbs and still have a short drive to work. even at our worst here in Canada we are not New Dehli or hong kong, we have room for all types of communites. to concentrate on one over another is not good .....in my opinion.

I suspect

• Bill | 11 Jun 2015, 04:26 PM Agree 0
    Jeff - Great thoughts. There are still plenty of communities where the majority want to live in single family homes as opposed to the higher density areas.
Post a reply