Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Should seniors stop moving to the suburbs?

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 26 Nov 2014, 09:18 AM Agree 0
Agents working with downsizing seniors may want to shift their clients’ focus away from the suburbs, says the author of a report finding older generations in car-dependent neighbourhoods are increasingly stuck at home.
  • judy | 26 Nov 2014, 04:01 PM Agree 0
    We (baby-boomers) live in a small city with a home, but need a condo(not a cheap one either) in the city for my husband's work during the week. We much prefer being home with our peace and quiet, clean air, view, garden and neighbours to being in the city and concerned about going out at night due to the panhandlers, drug addicts and the expense of going out for dinner or entertainment to "escape the 4 walls". The smell of cabbage, litter boxes, barking dogs, pot and cigarette smoking are definitely not "homey" to us. Life in a condo in our senior years....not if we can help it. We will delay it as long as possible!
    I have many clients that feel the same way, they would rather control their own destiny than have the politics of strata councils and added expenses by way of special assessments in their retirements.
  • SuzieStanford | 02 Dec 2014, 02:52 PM Agree 0
    There was report in the Globe and Mail yesterday about this. More seniors are moving outside of the city for the suburban lifestyle but are also doing it in condos. While life out in the suburbs is more appealing for seniors, it has its fair share of risks too. . "In the suburbs, if you lose your license you may not be able to access the services you need. The challenge is to provide services to people in spread out areas — to people who haven't got access to automobiles." I guess holding out as long as possible before making a move to the condo life makes sense, but these challenges will eventually become reality for seniors making these decisions.
  • Stefanie | 02 Dec 2014, 07:01 PM Agree 0
    By the time baby boomers start loosing driving licences we will have driverless cars. Just ask Google.
Post a reply