Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Should Winnipeg get rid of its full-time rule?

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 28 Oct 2014, 09:16 AM Agree 0
Agents in Winnipeg, where real estate professionals must work full-time, are divided over that century-old rule, with those opposed arguing there are good and bad agents – no matter the hours they work.
  • Craig Comeau | 29 Oct 2014, 12:42 PM Agree 0
    It should be mandatory for agents to be full time only Canada wide. Not only for industry professionalism but try getting a hold of an agent while they're at their part time job.
  • Jean-Marc lamothe | 29 Oct 2014, 12:43 PM Agree 0
    Congratulations, most of the brokers in Montréal would agree with
    that rule. Most of the part Time brokers don't do the job properly.
  • Thomas Hart | 29 Oct 2014, 01:10 PM Agree 0
    we are mandated as professionals, I don't know many lawyer or accountants that have to wait tables or drive cab. If you cant cut it get out.
  • | 29 Oct 2014, 01:13 PM Agree 0
    I would like to see that law implemented throughout Canada, for all the reasons given. But, mostly because their inability to respond in a timely manner especially during an offer presentation. Yes, we know that some full time agents may not be the most responsive as well, but, two wrongs don't make a right.
  • Paul | 29 Oct 2014, 01:42 PM Agree 0
    It should be fair rule, certain hours you can work per week etc. How you can afford all the expenses when you starting the business. It is hard to bring money on the table for first year. You should be allowed self employed professions (for instance life insurance agent, builder or home inspection, sales person etc.) which comes part time and your real estate business full time. I don't know what is the definition of part time, Real Estate is self employed commission based business. How you consider it full-time.
  • Lee McDonald | 29 Oct 2014, 01:42 PM Agree 1
    Let's compare Realtors to other professionals like lawyers and accountants. Are they working part time? Many do, and most of the time one doesn't know their situation as a consumer.
    I agree that it is difficult to work in real estate part time effectively. However, once you have an ongoing business, taking time for other things in life is a good thing. What constitutes part time? Would eight months full time, with a break of four months be considered part time? Being otherwise employed does not necessarily mean one is part time in real estate, based on hours worked. It means one is unavailable at certain times. A successful Realtor who works for a few months per year is also unavailable at certain times, as is a lawyer, accountant or other professional.
    Full time or part time does not determine, in itself, how effectively a professional performs their job. Controls are in place to deal with complaints and issues that arise from poor performance, as there are in any association of professionals. As long as there are standards of practice, I agree that part time Realtors should be allowed to work in Manitoba.
  • Robert Prystupa | 29 Oct 2014, 02:23 PM Agree 0
    Full time professional ....no other way..clients deserve quality professionals that look after their property and investment. ..
    Professional ethics and relationships are also a must between agents and clients.
    Part timers..? No way can they offer timely service...
  • John Murphy / Broker | 29 Oct 2014, 02:49 PM Agree 0
    In Nova Scotia, we have lots of part-timers. I have no problem with a part-time Buyers' Agent that is willing to work diligently with a Buyer to help locate a house. They should be up to date on the tools required to make sure they don't miss an opportunity for their clients. When it comes to a Sellers' Agent I have a completely different view. We have people in our industry that have the regular "9 to 5" job because they want the security that goes with it. I have witnessed some of these Agents list a property and the not be available to book an appointment or give further information until they "got home from work". At the very least, if our Industry permits Sales People to work on a part time basis this should be part of Full Disclosure. The public has the right to know what sort of representation to expect.
  • John | 29 Oct 2014, 03:06 PM Agree 1
    There should be full disclosure that an Agent works part time. Being available to negotiate a deal at any time is the difference between whether there is a sale or not. Don't let anyone fool you....timing is everything in this business.

Do you really think the average consumer would hire someone part time knowing they aren't available all of the time? That is why we have "part time" commission rates! Part timers can afford to offer 1% which is killing the industry and makes it difficult for full time, dedicated professionals to stay afloat with the full time costs they incurr.
  • Ray | 29 Oct 2014, 03:12 PM Agree 0
    The "Calgary Real Estate Board" used to have a similar rule years ago!
  • David Schooley | 29 Oct 2014, 03:19 PM Agree 0
    When someone is entrusting you to assist them with their largest investment it shouldnt be a part time effort. I wish we had this legislation in Ontario. In this process we need to give our full and undivided attention to the client to ensure they make the right choices. It is not possible to do that when they are working a full time job some where else. With life's biggest decision's people need to be informed. Would you trust a loved ones life to a part time surgeon?
  • GH | 29 Oct 2014, 03:37 PM Agree 0
    Would you hire a professional who works part time to advise you and guide you on one of your largest asset...Or perhaps a part time doctor/dentist. Good for Winnipeg. Banning part time agents ought to be forwarded in Ontario. It is not possible to work part time in Real estate and do it well.
  • Marjorie McKay | 29 Oct 2014, 03:50 PM Agree 0
    Real Estate is more than a full-time job. It is a vocation. Things are changing rapidly, the market changes, legislation changes it is a challenge to keep up to it as a full-time agent. Good for Winnipeg. As a broker I do not hire a part-time agents and I would not hire a part-time agent as a consumer.
  • | 29 Oct 2014, 03:55 PM Agree 0
    There is an undercurrent of anger focused on a poorly defined term of what is "part-time".
    Is it how much time one spends? Is it about how readily available one can be?
    These aspects vary from one Realtor to the next without measuring their time spent.
    If someone is unable to meet the time commitments for the client, then they will unlikely get far.
    There are too many real estate practitioners to share adequately in the spoils.
    There will be some squawking about that next.
  • Ann | 29 Oct 2014, 05:20 PM Agree 0
    BC changed a few years ago and I don't believe it's for the best. Some how having you assist me with the most important purchase of my life and then serving me at the Keg or whatever just doesn't seem right. Would you go to a dentist who drives cab a night, or lawyer who works part time at the golf centre?
  • Gord | 29 Oct 2014, 06:58 PM Agree 0
    How is it even legal to stop someone who chooses to work part time from getting a license or belonging to a real estate board. Maybe we shouldn't allow white people, or black people, or anyone over 50 to sell real estate?!? How is that different? Why are we so afraid to let buyers and sellers decide if this agent is doing the job or not. If they can pass the required education and pay the license fees then a little time and the free market will decide if they are good enough to be in the business.
  • | 29 Oct 2014, 11:37 PM Agree 0
    I strongly believe that Real Estate Agents should be full timer. Selling property is a serious job and should be in the hand of agent who is committed and is available any time that client needs his or her service, and that's why part time agents can not fulfill this duty.
  • JT - Niagara | 30 Oct 2014, 09:44 AM Agree 0
    I agree - part time is a very ambiguous term but there should be full disclosure to the Client under contract. If the Sales Representative works full time/part time at another vocation and is unavailable to their Clients during that period the Buyer/Seller should be aware of this. As for a "full time" Representative being away for say 4 months - there is no doubt they have someone covering their business in their absence.
    This is something that should be decided by the Client. Personally I've had to deal with part timers and it can be very frustrating - I actually had a Buyer Client of another Agent call me direct as they couldn't reach their Agent - She was just so busy and...well I was available. I was on the Listing end - a very precarious situation when a Client from another Brokerage calls - I would have loved to tell them if they really wanted to speak with her just drop by the ...gas station at - she'll be there. This to me is the unacceptable part - want to be a professional - act like one - disclose it to your Clients and move on.
  • André Riendeau | 30 Oct 2014, 12:38 PM Agree 0
    Here in Quebec or arond Montreal region. Agency do want agent or broker for there $ money they bring each mount many of it are olding their permit and do realestate following relation or friends or come to work in the best time for real esate january to july

News parer La presse prouved with the OACIQ study that 80% of the agent work on part time.

We are having near 14,000 agents that they call here broker I agree with others broker that wrote to you
    It is not acceptable to have part time agents or brokers.
    We must agree you can be full time an not makin 20,000$ on yearly bases in commercial or residential with the economie we have in Quebec
    I belived that the solution is to charge for time we past with a customer : calls travelling , hads sign panel small or large
    It is a business and all your money that you give to them it be not return to you unless they pay you and it can be deduct from the sale .If there is no sale base expenses will be pay and you will not have load credit card or marge of credit then you and your love one will fill fine less stress, sickness or divorce! I love to served costumer but if you live on dreams and large expenes because you work full time on very long hours.
    In Canada we must be on the same bases all over heven on the law all of us are human
    My Best Regard's
  • | 30 Oct 2014, 01:06 PM Agree 0
    I fully agree to this rule.
    Real estate agent must be full time.
    In Toronto Ontario 75% agents are part timers due to them the industry standard of commission are ruining.
    They are cutting their commission rates drastically.
    They sell your home for free and give the 50% commission to you as Buyer Bonus from the commission they earned as cooperating buyer agent.
    Due this, full time agents are suffering badly.
  • SM - Waterloo | 30 Oct 2014, 06:44 PM Agree 0
    What is a part time agent?
    Is the agent that goes to gym every morning, and then sipping coffee around the office chatting with other agents servicing their clients better then someone who has another job working a few hours a day?
    If I have 20 listings I can't service my clients aswell as well enough I have 5 listings, should we impose a listing limit to ensure better quality?
    With today's technology, nobody is ever truly unavailable, i could talk to my client, or text or email, just as easy if i am at my kids hockey game, driving a car or taxi. I have a secretary booking showings, auto drip campaigns, feedback systems, and prospecting systems.
    Work smarter not longer and enjoy your free time, either at the beach or working at subway.

• John | 02 Nov 2014, 03:20 PM Agree 0
    Part timers are typically the ones that are not as effective and knowledgeable otherwise they would have jumped in with two feet instead of sticking a few toes in the water.
    Call it a generalization but if you cannot be physically available you are a virtual salesperson. The essence of sales in this business will never change. You cannot replace a face to face meeting. Half of the battle is psychological. If you can't be there to tend to the list and the psychological needs of your client you are doing it wrong. Technology will never replace human interaction. It's hard to run to your client for a an offer presentation when you are sitting in a nine to five cubicle. Wait until five? Oh sorry my client decided to purchase another home! With all the legislation imposed to "protect the client", you would think being full time would be imposed.
    But alas the schools are money making machines. Oh and anyone can pass those Mickey Mouse tests. Make them University level which would really raise the standard. I'm willing to pay $15,000 per year for my license to weed out the flea market part timers.
  • John | 02 Nov 2014, 03:20 PM Agree 0
    Part timers are typically the ones that are not as effective and knowledgeable otherwise they would have jumped in with two feet instead of sticking a few toes in the water.
    Call it a generalization but if you cannot be physically available you are a virtual salesperson. The essence of sales in this business will never change. You cannot replace a face to face meeting. Half of the battle is psychological. If you can't be there to tend to the list and the psychological needs of your client you are doing it wrong. Technology will never replace human interaction. It's hard to run to your client for a an offer presentation when you are sitting in a nine to five cubicle. Wait until five? Oh sorry my client decided to purchase another home! With all the legislation imposed to "protect the client", you would think being full time would be imposed.
    But alas the schools are money making machines. Oh and anyone can pass those Mickey Mouse tests. Make them University level which would really raise the standard. I'm willing to pay $15,000 per year for my license to weed out the flea market part timers.
  • Blaming the board. | 07 Nov 2014, 04:39 PM Agree 0
    I'm a young agent in BC, I only wish we had a full-time rule here. I'm trying to start a career that I've dedicated my past three years to. My brokerage brings in at least 3 new agents into the office each month. They share in the resources, get a couple leads, sell a friend/family members property. After 6 months they run out of funds to justify spending much effort on the career and make very limited effort from that point on, or quit. They take away resources that could have helped me and other dedicated agents become more established and experienced. I blame the board here for not thinking about those of us who dedicate our lives to the field. Seems like the board is in it for a quick buck, much like those part-time agents.

If part time is what the boards want, then make it harder to get your license, or more expensive. This will restrict the agents to those that are willing to invest the money and those that are prepared to educate themselves to be experts. So many agents flooding the field helps no one but the board that gets paid per agent...
  • 'Professional' RE Investor | 10 Nov 2014, 02:46 PM Agree 0
    I agree that disclosure and possibly acknowledgement of potential implications, such as client accessibility say, are important. However, most arguments against part-timers is just a bunch of self serving non-sense. I select who I work with based on their experience and quality of the outcomes (on many variables).
    This is not a 'profession', in the true sense of the term, it is a career. Professions regulate themselves based on qualifications, experience (much of it paid as part of the learning process), and outcomes, not the number of hours 'claimed' to be devoted to the duties.
    Get over yourselves and stop blaming falling commission on the influx of part-timers. There are market forces at work, in which most real estate sales personnel are fast becoming economic commodities.
    Many part-timers are attracted by the income potential and if the commission were adjusted to reflect true costs and a reasonable allowances for profit (income) then we would have wider use of graduated commissions. This in itself would help filter out the committed from the 'wannabees '.
  • | 16 Sep 2015, 11:28 PM Agree 0
    The rule is not about part time or full time. It’s about” other employment”. It simply means you must only work in real estate, not an additional job. It has nothing to do with hours or choosing to go to the gym. SHeesh
  • | 05 Sep 2016, 09:03 PM Agree 0
    Realtors should be allowed with other job in Winnipeg, not all Realtors having another job is not focussed. Why? Are you sure all Realtors with only one job are all professional and focussed? it depends on his or her personality. Well then the association should also not allow Realtors to have a business because it is the same with having another job, the focus will also be divided.
Post a reply