Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

This agent is still giving out MLS sold data

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 27 Apr 2015, 08:06 AM Agree 0
One Toronto agent promises to continue publishing sold data, pointing to the need to provide consumers with all the information they’ll need to remain in the driver’s seat.
  • Rob | 27 Apr 2015, 12:05 PM Agree 0
    If an agent gave out the sold information on one of my listings without the written consent of the seller I would report him/her to the privacy commissioner.
  • | 27 Apr 2015, 12:13 PM Agree 0
    In BC all sold data both on both private sales and MLS sales is available to the public on bcassessment.ca. It has been that way for years. So don't understand the debate in Ontario.
  • EddieN | 27 Apr 2015, 12:14 PM Agree 0
    Issue 1. The one who pays for a product or service, owns that product and service, but it may come with limitations that you have to abide by. That's a contract we all sign when we join our association. Issue 2. Taking random sales data from the mls is incorrect and a disservice. Just because a sold price is displayed on mls, does NOT mean that the transaction actually closed and therefore, that is NOT the sold price nor is it the value of the property. Tossing a bunch of incorrect data at the public does more disservice than the opinions of "experts" in the media. If someone wants to have real sold data, people can go to their local city hall or land registry office. Agents who think they can drum up business by breaking the rules are desperate, unprofessional and incapable of getting business any other way.
  • Realist | 27 Apr 2015, 12:31 PM Agree 0
    Real estate agents in Ontario have to go through rigorous training and educational courses to assess the value of real estate. Allowing the public access to Sold data does more harm than good by distorting the true value of homes! Will the average consumer pull out a comparison worksheet to compare three comparable properties more importantly will they have access to previous listings to see why it was listed and sold for a specific price whether it was excluding specific appliances upgrades, Fixtures & finishes and so on! Let's not distort the big picture! The public will just look at the sold price and directly compare that number to another number with disregard for actual facts! Does the public know how to equate market increase over time and calculate that for their comparable? The general public is just not capable of properly assessing this data and therefore should leave it to the professionals for fear of misinterpreted Data!
  • Kevin Anstey, LLB | 27 Apr 2015, 12:48 PM Agree 1
    The information about the sold data being available in BC is incorrect. The data is not published on BC Assessment or elsewhere until AFTER the title has transferred. The Land Title Data is available after registration by paying for a title search, but is otherwise public information.
  • Truth | 27 Apr 2015, 12:50 PM Agree 1
    This guy is only saying what he is saying because it is in line with his business model. If he was a normal agent, he would be saying the opposite. His data distribution helps him achieve an income, so it self serving to him. If his business fails, and he goes to work with Royal LePage like a normal agent, then he would be in opposition to the free distribution of this info.
  • Bruce | 27 Apr 2015, 12:59 PM Agree 0
    Treb needs to pull his licence. The rules are very clear and the board needs to enforce it. We all pay a lot of money top belong to this association and we all need to respect what we can and cannot do. He needs to be dealt with accordingly.
  • | 27 Apr 2015, 01:22 PM Agree 0
    What would happen if the Sellers request/remove the clauses that all personal/sold prices not be recorded
  • | 27 Apr 2015, 01:25 PM Agree 0
    TREB does not have the authority to cancel/remove anyone's license
  • Kenzie MacDermid | 27 Apr 2015, 01:31 PM Agree 0
    I would say the majority of my clients have no interest in sharing how much they bought and paid for a particular property. In fact i bet if they were polled 90% would say NO. Given that part of my annual board fee go to support an organized real estate board and database of information, I dont see why the information I populate into a database, and am responsible for is available to people who did nothing to generate or contribute to it. Its my time and effort, and that is not free. When i have clients its understood that I will be paid for access to my knowledge, skills, any information prepared for them. Our clients fully understand and sign off on their responsibility re numerate for such services. None of them have ever complained about this. I educate them and they get it.

Ask yourself this question.
    Does Kijijji or Craigslist or other online market places make their re sale data available ? Does each lending institution make the mortgage lending rate on each specific property available?

If i want property detail information from databases that make it for sale such as Geo warehouse etc, i have to pay for the service. In my opinion If real estate sold date is to be made available then they will have to pay for it and provide proper identification and sign off on a restrictive right of use document.
  • Rick Hoogendoorn | 27 Apr 2015, 01:48 PM Agree 0
    Yet another reason I'm glad I live in BC. ;)
  • Monika | 27 Apr 2015, 02:04 PM Agree 0
    I totally agree with Fraser Beech and I am grateful to him for helping me educate my clients. I actually ask my clients (buyers and sellers) to subscribe to Mr Beech's service, so they understand quickly what the reality of bidding wars is, how fast properties sell and why they - Buyers - have to be ready in multiple offers situations to pay more than listed.
    In my listing presentations to Sellers, I bring listings of properties that compare well to theirs, to make them better understand how much their home will sell for. There is no secret knowledge and prestige for realtors to pretend to be the only ones having access to this information. One day soon, Ontario will be like BC and the fuss will be over. In the mean time, thank you Fraser Beech.
  • Tom Booth | 27 Apr 2015, 02:17 PM Agree 0
    Present rules specify that sold information cannot be posted or shared with public unless you get written permission from Seller, Buyer, and Listing Agent. If the prospective Seller asks for a property evaluation for listing purposes then that information can be shared with the prospective Seller with the understanding that it will not be shared with anyone else and is being used strictly to determine a market value for the prospect's property. Anything else is a violation of the Privacy Act and subject to fines.
  • 1000 transactions is Generous | 27 Apr 2015, 02:28 PM Agree 0
    Keep ur data!! All I recommend to consumers shop till u find a agent that will list or sell u a house for 1,000-2,000 total. There are 60,000 agents consumers and say to the agent 1,000-2,000 or move on!!! You will see the system change for a service that you barley need a high school diploma for . 90 % of consumers are doing most of their own work anyway.

lawyers fees and almost every other part of the industry the costs/wages went down or stayed the same. The only fees went up were for the TOUR GUIDES and that is because house prices went up not the service or value of the realtor.

They have a EGO like they are Surgeons and irreplaceable...NEWS ALERT..Real Estate would continue with or without them...
  • Ratherhappy | 27 Apr 2015, 03:54 PM Agree 0
    Last year we sold our house, and interviewed 3 different agents for the job. One of them was a flat fee agent that you're recommending and we nearly went with him. The first agent we spoke with (I'll leave names and companies out) said he could get a lot more money for our house. Now, we're not stupid and if something seems too good to be true, we all know, it probably is, but he came prepared with information and data (same as the other two did), so we gave him a shot.

In the end, he SOLD our house for $18,000 MORE than what Mr. Flat Fee told us to list it for. We got more in our pocket while paying more to our agent. Maybe your "find the cheapest agent" technique works for some families, but that certainly wasn't our experience.
  • Sant Claus | 27 Apr 2015, 04:26 PM Agree 0
    Everyone has a story. What about the story where someone payed 6% fees and got less than the $1,000 flat fee realtor!!! Like I SAID WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL 20 OTHER AGENTS WHO WOULD HAVE SAID LIST FOR A HIGHER AMOUNT AND PAY ME A FLAT RATE!!!??

Plus, u are right some consumers just like to pay more for things. They must call you santa claus not "ratherhappy"
  • I want a professional to sell my house | 27 Apr 2015, 06:09 PM Agree 0
    This agent should wash his underwear cause he is full of shit
  • WM | 27 Apr 2015, 06:46 PM Agree 0
    It's quite simple. If a Registrant in Ontario were to publish sold data for one of my client's property, without written consent, forget the Privacy Commission.
    They will do nothing.
    What I would do immediately is to encourage my client to fill in a complaint to RECO, because REBBA 2002 states that you need written permission from Buyer AND Seller to publish sold prices.
    RECO administers REBBA 2002 (the Ontario LAW governing the practice of Real Estate) .
  • Judy | 27 Apr 2015, 10:17 PM Agree 0
    The sold price is in the public domain once the the property is registered.
  • Rod Doris | 28 Apr 2015, 12:24 AM Agree 0
    Mr. Beach has been banging the same drum over the years! To some he may be a curse, to me, he make me look bar-non with the level of customer service that I provide to my existing clients. So kudos to him for trying to use the Competition Bureau to his advantage and monetized the TREB MLS information to his financial gain. He and others have tried it in the past, but I have yet to see any of them achieving success on the backs of others, who have helped the buyer and sellers successfully without compromising the integrity of a system that has tried tested and true. This is OUR existing MLS system! What the deep-pocketed companies that would like a portion of our income, whom by-the-way just don't get it; because the real estate business is a person-to-person business. Consumer understands the notion that you truly get what you pay for. I wish him continued success. He does help our industry and the consumer to differentiate the level of service between discount brokerage and full-service brokerage.
  • Rod Doris | 28 Apr 2015, 12:24 AM Agree 0
    Mr. Beach has been banging the same drum over the years! To some he may be a curse, to me, he make me look bar-non with the level of customer service that I provide to my existing clients. So kudos to him for trying to use the Competition Bureau to his advantage and monetized the TREB MLS information to his financial gain. He and others have tried it in the past, but I have yet to see any of them achieving success on the backs of others, who have helped the buyer and sellers successfully without compromising the integrity of a system that has tried tested and true. This is OUR existing MLS system! What the deep-pocketed companies that would like a portion of our income, whom by-the-way just don't get it; because the real estate business is a person-to-person business. Consumer understands the notion that you truly get what you pay for. I wish him continued success. He does help our industry and the consumer to differentiate the level of service between discount brokerage and full-service brokerage.
  • | 28 Apr 2015, 07:36 AM Agree 0
    Same in Ontario after the sale has closed and registered. But you need to go to the registry office and buy the info from ontario government. Don't see them freely publishing the information. Maybe they see the privacy issues.
  • HYPOCRITES | 28 Apr 2015, 09:38 AM Agree 0
    These Saint realtors always preaching you get what u pay for....I am sure when they shop for lawyers,mortgages,insurance,stocks,mutaual fund fees, ,cars,trips,cable,cell phones etc they whine like cats ..they have a monopoly on info...Stock brokers use to have a stranglehold too at one time ..now u can see all the info online, pay next to nothing to trade stocks

Biggest hypocrites with their principles..they just don't want to work harder by having to do more deals to make the a living...too busy waxing the car,buying suits

Conusmers just shop till a agent with will list ur property for $1,000-$2,000. If we keep pushing the selling agent will only $1,000-$2,000 soon enough. Keep ur cash for ur own kids,mortgage payments, emergencies... do a little work as most home buyers/sellers are practically doing 90 % of the work before they call a tour guide.
  • DN | 28 Apr 2015, 10:15 AM Agree 0
    Why don't these agents fight with the gov't to get the data that is available to thru the Land registry office or MPAC office? Then they can deal directly with the gov't regarding privacy issues and system access issues.
    It is much easier to fight TREB, demonize Realtors and try to get access to private and confidential client data. This is ridiculous. When the banks and insurance companies open up their Client Database then TREB should be forced to open up it's.
  • 10 percenters | 28 Apr 2015, 07:46 PM Agree 0
    Treb should hire more agents and that way when 60,000 plus agents need to eat they will do anything to list or sell you a home.

Consumers there are agents that will list ur house for $1,000 and do just as good a job,. search the internet

Detached and semis sell themselves and condos have 4 walls and status certificate. No matter what crystal ball a agent has it is not guaranteed. So why pay them for a service . THey are using all the fees from the 55,000 agents who barley make a living to hire lawyers so the top 10 % can keep cashing in.

• | 30 Apr 2015, 10:40 PM Agree 0
    This Beach person is literally beached up. Certainly there are some unscrupulous real estate agents out there (any different from lawyers and some doctors.. and how about the politicians?) but believe you me, there are many first-class real estate professionals who work very hard for their clients. This particular individual is exploiting the public lamblasting with this type of information. REP = you people should review something like this before putting it on your website. I blame You people for allowing some unscrupulous individual to undermine good agents in order to "blow his own horn". SDG
  • MORE AGENTS | 01 May 2015, 09:35 AM Agree 0
    The world is changing and when greed for a long time catches up..those ego agents should have adjusted their fees when homes inflated not their service they provided. Should have been fair and now 80-90 % of the agents need to eat and they have to have a advantage...

COMMISSION WARS ARE JUST STARTING!! Consumers you are in the driver seats there are 60,000 agents needing to eat..

Hey if you want to pay a agent 15,000-50,000 GO AHEAD!!!
  • I'm with stupid | 03 Oct 2016, 11:43 AM Agree 0
    The 5% commission model has been around forever. Maybe it made sense when homes sold for 60K. With the value of homes today, do realtors really think they deserve to make 25K on a million dollar home that sells in a week? You guys are delusional. The only way you can ensure you are relevant is to hoard and gatekeep information. This is the information age people. This privacy argument is full BS.
Post a reply