Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Tiny houses for the millennial generation

Notify me of new replies via email
Ephraim Vecina | 24 Feb 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
The simplicity promised by minimalist living is becoming increasingly attractive among millennials, who are now considering tiny houses and shared spaces as viable options
  • | 24 Feb 2016, 05:50 PM Agree 0
    I agree that consumerism has to stop but practicality still needs to be addressed in small space design. For example where I live in Calgary Alberta it is almost imperative to have some kind of mudrroom/closet at the entrance door. We have all four seasons almost year round so to house several coats and footwear and we usually take off shoes at the door. Also it is great to share space with others until you become a couple or a family then things get complicated. I think the millennials are just doing what we did but for a longer period of time. We were on our own normally after high school them married or living with roommates. We suffered with small apartments shared accommodations and as we got older and could afford more we did. I think we will see this happening but just later. My younger clients want compact inner city living but when the reality sets in I usually end up selling them something with a yard, a nice kitchen and a garage in the burbs.
  • Wendy | 26 Feb 2016, 08:06 AM Agree 0
    Zoning will, no doubt, play an important role in the location of these Tiny Houses. Will they be allowed in back yards under Residential Zoning (like small garden sheds), or, will we find them located in "trailer park" type leased lot areas? A very interesting concept of living, along with Granny-Pods .... we'll see what the Municipalities and Chief Building Officials have to say as they gain in popularity!
Post a reply