Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Toronto brokerage ruffles industry feathers over commissions

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 03 Mar 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
One Toronto brokerage has now announced a program that could threaten industry standards around commissions at the same time it aims to save a specific type of client about half of their selling costs.
  • Martin F. | 03 Mar 2015, 10:11 AM Agree 0
    About time. Great job Red Pin!
  • L Doucet | 03 Mar 2015, 10:18 AM Agree 0
    Is there a minimum flat rate when commissions are cut?
  • Tony | 03 Mar 2015, 10:21 AM Agree 0
    Any minute now, the high school dropout Realtors will be barking on here about why they are still worth 2.5% to put a house on MLS . Oh wait they bring coffee and donuts to the open house for 2 hours on a Saturday. Yeah that's totally worth it.
  • | 03 Mar 2015, 10:22 AM Agree 0
    Double the work half the pay.
  • John | 03 Mar 2015, 10:23 AM Agree 0
    Their concept is soley based on the professional agents negotiating and paying a 2.5% CTO to the co-operating brokerages. I guess the questions comes, will these brokerages agents show houses that are not paying a 2.5% CTO, knowing that their clients where sold on affordability/discount. I guess their clients will need to decide if they are seeing all what's out their. The true professionals will sell their value.
  • | 03 Mar 2015, 10:27 AM Agree 0
    Yes, its becoming a trend. It is working ! Getting the listing and working with the client to purchase a new home. Giving the client a $3,000 reduction on listing side but receiving buying side commission on their new purchase. This generally works out to more commission and doing more business. There is no guarantee ;as no contract is signed to commit the client to remain with you and be loyal. Generally, if you still provide an excellent service and representing the client the loyality will be there as its a big saving for the client. I started this approach ;as clients will seek out the best deal ! It is starting to work for me ;as I am doing this on my own, not as a brokerage. The selling side on the listing remains as a good incentive for all agents to attract the sale of the clients listing.
  • Value | 03 Mar 2015, 10:27 AM Agree 1
    In the absence of value price becomes the issue.
  • Mike A | 03 Mar 2015, 10:30 AM Agree 2
    Lol. Good luck with that! Some agents should cut their commission... Because they have no value! They deserve to be treated like a commodity. Why don't you just have your Wal-Mart greeter sell it for you. The public needs to get over the jealousy of what good agents get paid! Most people couldn't last in this industry, and most people don't! Agents deserve every penny.

Nobody wants to pay anyone for anything these days! I'll do my own plumbing, electrical, etc.. Until of course, I burn down my house... Lol. Because I'm a cheap & bitter person. People these days are crazy. There's nothing wrong with making money people!
  • R-Lee | 03 Mar 2015, 10:31 AM Agree 5
    Actually Tony, you need a High School Diploma as a prerequisite to obtain a Real Estate License within Ontario so, correction - there won't be any high school drop out Realtors "barking on here" my dear ignorant fellow
  • Rick | 03 Mar 2015, 10:31 AM Agree 2
    Any consumer who thinks this will benefit them has no idea what good people in the business actually do. I'm sorry, this is laughable on every level. Surely this will spur on a debate between agents and consumers who think they know it all. At the end of the day it will have virtually no impact on the current business model. Hard working realtors will always offer a superior service, justifying their fees.
  • Professional!! Realtor | 03 Mar 2015, 10:33 AM Agree 3
    If people think Realtors just bring donuts and coffee to an open house and collect 2.5% then they are probably the type of Realtor who is worth zero commission on the listing end because they are not going to do anything. Who still eats donuts anyway.
  • Mike A | 03 Mar 2015, 10:34 AM Agree 1
    Oh, and just a reminder that these companies have been attempting this cut rate BS for decades! So rest assured, full service agent aren't going anywhere :) just in case you're wondering why... Well that's because it's only a small percentage of people that snivel and whine about commission, the rest of society appreciates value provided by professionals. Happy Tuesday.
  • fullTimmer | 03 Mar 2015, 10:36 AM Agree 1
    How does one get paid if the seller is not going to purchase a property but moving to an apartment or out of the country or are broke and moving back with their 80 yr old parents? Seems confusing!
  • Ontario Broker | 03 Mar 2015, 10:40 AM Agree 1
    This only works with listings that are easy to sell. Try a heritage property with issues....and see how hard you work for your commission.
  • 6% guy | 03 Mar 2015, 10:40 AM Agree 2
    This is not new! Many companies have tried a variation of this and failed! The consumer looses in the process as well. Why? Because it's all about the Base! ( commission ) agents that have had a long career got this concept early. The fly by nighters still keep chasing the quick buck!
  • Scott | 03 Mar 2015, 10:41 AM Agree 2
    Exactly it's still true you get what you pay for!
  • | 03 Mar 2015, 10:41 AM Agree 1
    Not sure but wouldn't this be considered tied selling. Forcing the client to go with the same brokerage to get the discount. "You must buy with us if you want the discount". Not sure if thats something REBBA would consider, will have to look into it. Or how about if the deal goes sour and the RED Pin agent is sued cause you know thats bound to happen, now they don't have commission to cover the fines. Just some thoughts
  • John Whyte. C21 Leading Edge | 03 Mar 2015, 10:42 AM Agree 0
    The only problem I see with this and I believe it to be a big one is that legally you can not contract someone to use you to buy a property. There is always a way out and so agents may find themselves doing the work of listing the property and selling it for free and the. Finding that the seller has changed their mjnd and does not want th buy a home. Now you have worked for free. I understand that there is probably legal mumbo jumbo to say if they don't end up buying that they owe commission for the sale however it would get very messy and the courts will almost always side with the client.

I'm regards to agents dropping commissions to get deals. I don't disagree with it. People need to eat and if that's what makes both sides happy go for it. I have never dropped my commission pre list. I have renegotiated a few times after list so that everyone involved had a better bottom line. Yes there is value in hiring one agent over another in most cases. Some agents know more about an area or market trends and marketing your property to get more value.
    How many times do you see listings on the mls with 2 pictures or no pictures or low quality photos from an iPhone. If anyone was to believe that when searching for an agent they all do the same job equally and that you should go for the cheapest commission I would say to them would you do the same when you were searching for a car or home. All cars get you from point a to point b it's the ride that counts.
  • Realtor | 03 Mar 2015, 10:44 AM Agree 0
    This is nothing new, the only obvious point being that the Buyer agrees to sell and buy in order to qualify. Brokerages have been offering FULL services at less than 2.5% for decades. Get off your soap boxes those of you who turned a blind eye to this. It's mostly your fault that FSBI and 0% sites have popped up. If you think your color flyers and really neat sign riders are worth an extra 1% you're a mellon.
    If you constatantly plunk "sold in 3 days" riders on rour signs, you're obviously telling the sellers that their homes will sell quickly and they will ask why you are worth 2.5% when (any smart seller understands that) it's the buyer that makes the buying decision.
    Be smart: Convince your Brokerage to flex their fees to you. You can pass those savings on to your sellers and save much of your business.
  • CKay | 03 Mar 2015, 10:51 AM Agree 4
    The fact is that, as John says professional agents will get more for your home and that will offset the amount paid to the Professional Realtor. The weaker agent will do whatever possible to get a listing and a sale, even cut his pay in half. These agents will have you paying perhaps more than Market Value for your next home as well. A Professional will make you more money on your sale and save you money when you buy. The marketing skill determines the length of time on the market and the bother with unqualified buyers, any High School Drop Out knows that. If the public is looking for a pencil pushing person that can draw an offer, because the buyer knows everything about market values and future resale prices, they will get what they pay for.... the most money, in the quickest time with the fewest problems is what the Professional brings.

Another apparent fact is, that if Tony is so concerned with this this discussion, is he relying on a High School Drop Out for his advice? Wouldn't that make Tony a person with less intelligence than a High School Drop Out? Maybe go grab yourself some Doughnuts and sell it yourself on Kijiji Tony! It's EASY.
  • Andy | 03 Mar 2015, 10:54 AM Agree 2
    So the buyer pays commission on a potentially higher priced property plus the buying agent commission on their home. This is good how? Shame on you RedPin, and your shady practice. Buyers almost always buy up.
  • L. Park | 03 Mar 2015, 10:56 AM Agree 3
    Gee Tony. Your response seems pretty "high school". Doesn't appear that you are very well educated on the subject.
  • Robert | 03 Mar 2015, 10:57 AM Agree 2
    Zero commission on selling?
    - where does the money come from for marketing, the agents pocket? (good luck)
    - why would the agent do anything more than perform the paperwork and hang a sign
    - the agent will be inclined to get the home sold to move on to the paying side (buying) so fighting to get top dollar isn't the priority, getting it sold at any cost is
    - with zero commission what skills does the agent need aside from how to complete the paperwork
    - with this upside down logic the sellers will lose more than the commission they would have paid to the agent.
    - with agents show you no value why waste their time .... just do it all yourself? (and buy your own donuts and coffee)

• Robert | 03 Mar 2015, 11:01 AM Agree 2
    Hey Tony...you missed the line at the top of the screen that reads "Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion." Key words are positive, professional and, not just opinion. (BTW, who doesn't like donuts?)
  • Al Daimee | 03 Mar 2015, 11:06 AM Agree 0
    I, for one, am not even threatened by this concept. Any good agent worth working with would never work under these terms. This is perfectly fine for a newbie or part-time agent with zero marketing budget and who relies on the promise of lower up front costs to get a listing that they would otherwise not be able to contend for due to lack ability to compete with the tried and true real estate professionals out there.

Like any industry, the sales department with the best commission structure generally draws the best sales people in the industry and become more successful. If a company could thrive on a cut-rate model, why would it be done any other way?

I will coin it now... this is BOGO real estate at its best!
  • | 03 Mar 2015, 11:07 AM Agree 2
    If you plan on staging the property and marketing it the way your suppose to, then this makes no sense and will end up costing the agent money. However if the client is OK with us taking pictures of the home on our iPhone and posting them on MLS with no marketing at all then this program is OK. .. I have never heard or anyone in any industry saying that they are willing to work for free. Time is money and I wish all the agents at red pin the best of luck in giving away their time and expertise away for free. And I would advise any seller to question the level of service and how hard an agent will work in netting the highest sale price when working for nothing. At the very end of the day you will always get what you pay for, which we all know is always true... to me this is a gimmick in attempt to cut the throat of the competition and should be frowned upon. Good luck red pin
  • Commission Wars!!! | 03 Mar 2015, 11:09 AM Agree 0
    Commission Wars!!!! Agents created PRICE WARS lets bring on the Commission WARS to the taxi/tour guides. The genius of the agent is they look up previous sales on their monopoly platform and shoot for that!!!!! What other magic do they do?? All these big companies are doing is selling a seminar you too can make 20,000-50,000 if you pay fees and dues !!! All those fees/dues pay the lawyers to block competition from happening and keep their monopoly.. suck all those agents in who end up paying more in fees,dues,classes,courses,overhead than they will over make selling real estate..
  • KY | 03 Mar 2015, 11:09 AM Agree 0
    The best Realtors are worth every penny and will almost always get more $ for your listing and save you more on the buy-side. This is your biggest investment, why put that in the hands of a Realtor who has to slash their rates to get business?
  • Make the right choice! | 03 Mar 2015, 11:17 AM Agree 1
    I have a friend who built a house and decided to save money by being his own General Contractor. He had little to no experience and the final home ended up costing him more than a 100k too much. He was stressed out of his mind, and put on about 40 pounds.

He also tried to sell the home himself and it is still sitting there after more than 6 months. Others surrounding him have sold long ago.

Shop around and hire a real professional, they are not all created equal. It will actually save you money. The Walmart model is a blood sucking business model and the public will end up paying in the long run.

Simply put, the public can have a huge influence on the level of quality and professionalism in the Real Estate industry. Stop bottom dwelling!
  • Lorne Deschamps. | 03 Mar 2015, 11:17 AM Agree 1
    Well it is too bad that this profession has to be hit this way ! alot of agents were struggling the last couple of years !so they started dropping their commision rates to get more work .But what they in fact done was show the public that our profession is not worth the fee! This is completely incorrect , we are educated and have a very big responsibility taking care of the selling or buying of a new real estate property .The cost of operating as an agent and to maintain a healthy profession ,we must be forever taking coarses ,following all new laws , municipal by law changes and keeping up with all the environmental changes, and now struggling agents are lowering rates and still ending up having to look at doing something else as a carreer ! It will soon be to the point where we will not make enough money to survive and have to do something else!I The lawer who closes our deals ! did he cut his fee in half ! no because he can't pay his staff and rent if he deos , well the same case as us agents are now facing.I think that the agents who are stuggling should do something else instead of making it harder for the agents who are professional and honest and hard working survive! Think about this !
  • | 03 Mar 2015, 11:21 AM Agree 1
    The problem with the Real Estate Industry is primarly that it is WAY over populated and every second agent is trying to reinvent the
    wheel in an effort to get business. The combination of fairly unethical moves by some members and outrages claims through the advertising media paint the Industry to the general public as a branch of Disney World. And while we live in a free enterprise society and economy, a bit more discretion could be exercised in how they present themselves to the public, i.e. expensive cars with personalized licence plates. Yet again last week a client opined of a fellow agents vehicle " I'm paying for that shit? "
    Finally, the education to receive a sales rep licence is a joke. There are virtually no courses on the actual building of a house but days on representation, what we can say and not say, how we share personal information etc. And the reality is the good people don't need to be told that rubbish and the bad guys ignore it !!!!
    Ian Robinson licenced 1983 Broker since 1989 Royal LePage State Realty Tel 905 525 3737
  • realtorQC | 03 Mar 2015, 11:24 AM Agree 2
    This sounds more like a government trend , cut staff costs and double the work load on the remaining. Great society !!!!
    Would you go see your employer and say to him "Hey boss, starting today, you can reduce my salary in half! I will do the same work for half the money."

As a realtor myself 8 years, I think that these price cutters have no clue as to what is implicated in the field, and they are devalourizing the knowledge and the expertise we offer, we as brokers have heavy work loads, some transactions can be easier than others, and some can become over whelming and time consuming, how will these discount brokers deal with complex and complicated time consuming transactions, when you offer deals on your professional services someone always ends up paying the difference.

Just think about it, have three general contractors come to do bids on a home renovation, then choose one of them, and then negotiate the price down (what do you think happens?) As your speaking with him about price all he is thinking about is (on what) and (on who) he will cut to do the job. What quality of work will you be getting?

I myself charge full commission 5.5% and offer 3% to the collaborating broker, on most of my listings, and this is only from referrals and repeat business.
    My clients are surprised and IMPRESSED when I explain to them that I offer the collaborating broker more than what i'm getting, and the only thing i say to them is "We are here to sell your property? YOU WANT TO SELL? They say YES I DO! and they sign at full commission.
    These rebate workers should do the same, either they have no selling skills, or no pride, or they feel they are not worthy of there commissions.
  • Michael Gouchie | 03 Mar 2015, 11:26 AM Agree 1
    Income minus expense = profit. If Realtors keep hacking away at income and then obviously need to chop expenses the consumer cannot be getting great service from the majority of slash happy hungry business people.
  • Investor1 | 03 Mar 2015, 11:26 AM Agree 1
    Hi Tony and any other ignorant individuals who think Realtors only bring "coffee and donuts to an open house for 2 hours on a Saturday." I'm a home buyer and a real estate investor, NOT a salesperson! Without the professional service, knowledge, marketing, and hardwork of my Realtor, I would not have been able to frankly make the money I have in my investments (including my own personal residence). On three occassions I've offered more commission to him, and he's declined. I've seen the long hours and running around he's put in it, including when deals haven't gone through! I have a feeling you all have never owned, made money on and/or gone through the real estate transaction to understand the work involved!
  • august | 03 Mar 2015, 11:29 AM Agree 0
    The amount of commission agents are charging is disgraceful. I was speaking to a lawyer in England and her mouth dropped open when I told her the Canadian agent commission is 7%. It's 1% to 2.5% in and around London.
  • | 03 Mar 2015, 11:34 AM Agree 0
    That is all well and good until listing agents stop offering 2.5% to the selling agent
  • Kevin M | 03 Mar 2015, 11:36 AM Agree 1
    Pay peanuts get monkey's. Why don't we all just work for a flat fee of $2500 per end and keep all you cheap screws happy. Do I ask for part of your pay cheque!!!
  • Michael | 03 Mar 2015, 11:40 AM Agree 1
    I don't have a problem with realtors performing work at lower rates, even at ZERO commission if that is what they think their services are worth! Over the last 40 years, my brokerage has been successful, not because of the commission rate, but because of the professional, complete services we provide to our clients. About 70% of our clients are by referral or repeat business...REASON....we provide what the client NEEDS for a successful transaction.
    When realtors are advertising ridiculous low or zero commission, they should also make it clear what their services include or NOT include!
  • J.C | 03 Mar 2015, 11:42 AM Agree 1
    Again this is nothing new in an industry that gets inundated with low bawlers to the bottom of the river. We already have a system where you don't have to pay any commissions where you can do it yourself. Eventually these low baller agents will drive themselves out of business and not be able to serve their clients adequately. Try to imagine for a moment where a company like General Motors would tell their workers you're going to get your pay cut in half and then another half and then another half. There won't be any cars made. Enough said.
  • Tony | 03 Mar 2015, 11:46 AM Agree 0
    Gotta love the realtor responses... yes the high school diploma being mandatory is really a tough entry barrier. LOL. A step up from the Timmy's drive thru . 40,000 realtors in the GTA , I wonder how many actually have a degree from University, not including York ;) Just face the facts realtors, you aren't even close to worth 2.5% in this market with these prices. Game over, let the commission cuts begin.
  • JC | 03 Mar 2015, 11:46 AM Agree 1
    Wait til the market slows down. The cut rate order takers will all be selling encyclopedias. Hard cover.
  • IWorkFor$0! | 03 Mar 2015, 11:47 AM Agree 1
    Here's an idea!

Why don't we just ask lawyers, doctors, engineers, farmers, government employees, dentists, consultants, professors, retail workers, business owners, accountants, etc, etc, etc to also charge less??? After all, I'm sure we can find a way to argue their value and hard work as well! Or... maybe instead we can learn about the their respective industries, educate ourselves and actually realize the kind of work they do! The back-end work that goes into their jobs! The hours they put in! The responsibilities they have! The costs/expenses they generate!

I guess we all want something (or I should say "everything") for nothing?
  • | 03 Mar 2015, 11:50 AM Agree 1
    Some of us pay to stage the house, professional photography, individual websites, marketing on facebook , we pay to clean houses, handymen to come and do the repairs. I expect to pay up to 1 % for marketing costs to get a home ready and set for sale. I won't be putting my hand in my pocket for those costs. Some of us expect to be properly paid for our efforts instead of downgrading our profession.
  • Tony | 03 Mar 2015, 11:51 AM Agree 0
    Gotta laugh when realtors try to compare themselves to the doctors, dentists, engineers and actual professionals in the world. This is how delusional realtors are.
  • not sure what to think | 03 Mar 2015, 11:51 AM Agree 1
    this seems kinda odd, i've worked with agents that charges little to nothing on their end, as well as agent that charges full commissions. in all honesty i got better service from the agent that charged full commissions. I had a house on the market for so long that listings expired and when i listed with an agent that did charge me more it was sold within a month. it could have been the market but then again i did feel more comfortabel with him.

Saving money upfront looks good on paper but, i rather my agent make thier money because they sold my house for more, not because i paid more for the house im looking to buy. seems like this business modle may be conflicting if this becomes the norm i think im better off selling my house by myself.
  • T.C. | 03 Mar 2015, 11:52 AM Agree 1
    Right on! Do we ask Sellers and Buyers to cut their pay cheque? Do we ask the lawyers, home inspectors, home stagers to drop their fees? May be the bank could forgive the interest on mortgage when a buyer closes a deal? Noooo, They charge what they charge for the professional services. Shame on you Red Pin.
    That's why people like this should not be in the business. Red Pin realtors if you think you are making too much money for the good services a Realtor provides, never mind working late hours, given up some or all weekends, getting educated, keeping updated with technology and other changes, finding the right home for your clients, jumping on any new listing that comes to start the beating game in this market, accommodating sellers and buyers with their busy schedule or work, or family or health situations, qualifying buyers! Oh, I forgot we don have a family too! Then you should just quit to be a real estate agent and go to work for someone else 9-5 p.m. and make the minimum pay if you are happy with that.
  • less we forget | 03 Mar 2015, 11:53 AM Agree 0
    lol so true, people forget about 1992
  • ??? | 03 Mar 2015, 11:58 AM Agree 0
    where is it 7% ???? i've never charged anyone that much. are you sure you are on the right fourm??
  • Commission wars | 03 Mar 2015, 12:03 PM Agree 0
    Commission wars!!! Stop the monopoly ... infomercial style of selling HOW TO BECOME A REALTOR AND MAKE MONEY BY PLAYING TAXI AND TOUR GUIDE..they keep pushing the infomercial so they can collect fees to pay the lawyers to keep their monopoly

They compare industries like surgeons etc is quite joke...they look up previous sales and shoot for that in listing and sales..they taxi and do tours...how can this be worth 20,000-50,000plus!!!?? Lawyers add just as much value and they make 500-1,000...something is twisted
  • realtor 8 | 03 Mar 2015, 12:04 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Tony. I'm a Realtor ex gangster in Alberta. We make way to much to many fukin idiots immigrant realtors here are useless. I charge less.... 1percent.. was top 5 % ...have website Facebook instagram the whole shabang...charging 10k for putting a sign up is retarded. but tony don't be a bitch towards us. not all are blind.
  • realtor | 03 Mar 2015, 12:04 PM Agree 1
    Tony,

Get back to your garbage truck...
  • Seriously!!! | 03 Mar 2015, 12:08 PM Agree 1
    Hey Tony! Your duh-man with a plan! After reading a good amount of these messages, I've realized that you really are an internet troll. Hard work does pay off! Good for you Red Pin for creating this discussion. Tony was bored and you just uplifted his day and brought excitement to his dull life! And on top of that, he's ready to cut his salary (or hourly pay) in half! He's just that kinda guy!

It's amazing how you only mentioned only "professional" doctors, dentists, and engineers and left out every other hard worker on the list. Not too mention, totally misunderstood the point he/she was trying to make! But then again, does that surprise anyone!

• s.f. | 03 Mar 2015, 12:11 PM Agree 0
    hmmm ... so what happens to this arrangement when the seller of listing that they wish to buy - refuses - to pay 2.5% and only 2% or less. Has the buyer agent (as should do) made the buyer client aware the money will be coming out of their own pocket? Will that be allowed to role into a mortgage? Also, what about Sellers not buying local, not buying at all (estates, power of sales, life changes ), or majorly downsizing -affording a solid marketing program is vital to obtain the highest and best price for a seller within a reasonable amount of time? My opinion, Clients in real estate need and should demand full service for both buying and selling which includes face to face time with client reviewing client specific questions and concerns, research , reviewing various strategies for individual homes, and areas, and economic times, bringing in other professionals involved in marketing etc -and working within clients schedule and technology capabilities as well. What you pay for is what you get - always apply. I welcome idea of new models but worry about how well clients will be informed for " what they don't know they don't know."
  • Commission Wars!! | 03 Mar 2015, 12:18 PM Agree 0
    Commission Wars!!! Agents created price wars and time for a taste of their Genius Methods!!

Tour Guides and Taxi service has been paid well and buyers and sellers are starting to see my kids schooling,expenses are better in their pocked than a TOUR GUIDE!!!
  • chuck | 03 Mar 2015, 12:19 PM Agree 1
    how can you trust an agent who sells your place for free? I would rather pay for a good agent who has record of getting top prices
  • | 03 Mar 2015, 12:22 PM Agree 0
    Loser
  • R. Maximan | 03 Mar 2015, 12:22 PM Agree 2
    looks like red pin is going out of business. Just like Target-it's a final sale!
  • Commission wars | 03 Mar 2015, 12:24 PM Agree 0
    The old dinosaur talk you only get what you pay for...that thinking has changed and plenty of hard working ,experienced get it done for less....Home prices went up the VALUE OF REALTORS WENT DOWN!!!
  • Wow! | 03 Mar 2015, 12:36 PM Agree 1
    Commission Wars??? "Agents created price wars ..." ???

Yes! The agents tied down the sellers and forced them against their will to receive top dollars for their property! And at the same time, the sellers feeling helpless for making more on their home had not choice but to agree! And... after the sale and receiving a hefty profit and great service, the seller went crying in to the sunset holding their heads-down while carrying all that profit!

Meanwhile the government (ie. Places to Grow Act), lenders, municipalities (ie. development charges, levies), builders, etc had no part in these price wars!!!

...lol!

• Commission Wars!!!! | 03 Mar 2015, 12:45 PM Agree 0
    Typical blame others for their price wars!!! Agents admitting their model for price wars was just a distorted model based on someone else's fault!!! We didn't mean for it too happen but we couldn't help/stop it!!! So cute!!
  • | 03 Mar 2015, 12:48 PM Agree 1
    All this hype seems to be where the commissions are huge, what happens when you get out of the big smoke and commissions might only be 2500-3000 as they are in many parts of Ontario.
  • commission wars | 03 Mar 2015, 12:52 PM Agree 0
    Sounds right ....total commission across the country should be 1000-2000 per transaction which many companies are offering!!! Lawyers add the same value if not more and they get paid 1000 approx.!!!
  • Lmao ... | 03 Mar 2015, 12:58 PM Agree 1
    Haha...

Seems like "Commission Wars" and "Tony" are the same person! Or... just trolling buddies! Sooooooo cute!

We should also add...

Sellers and buyers admitting that they just didn't want their home prices to go up so much over the years. They were content with stale prices and not really making any money!

Soooooooo cute!
  • JM | 03 Mar 2015, 12:59 PM Agree 1
    Lol ...

Waiting on "Commisson Wars" and Tony!

And... scene!
  • DL | 03 Mar 2015, 01:00 PM Agree 1
    What's the GTA average, 2.5 houses per year? Now Red Pin says it's okay to make less, because you'll make more!? The only one making money (and headlines) is the broker, the rest will be seeing RED. Good luck with this idiotic approach.
  • judy | 03 Mar 2015, 01:11 PM Agree 0
    I must just keep on smiling while I collect my $2500(before splits and expenses) commission cheque for selling a $200,00 house to first time-buyers ( can't ask these kids for more) while giving the listing agent (who collects considerably more), gets paid $3500 for selling my $100K listing...........and hope that God evens things out because that's the way the RULES are made in our country.......Now that is being a professional! Why would they want to bring a seller to their own listing rather than mine?
  • Mike | 03 Mar 2015, 01:11 PM Agree 1
    Unprofessional service ...Stay away from this business model
  • mike | 03 Mar 2015, 01:13 PM Agree 1
    Yes they are ... cheap poor service
  • robbiei | 03 Mar 2015, 01:15 PM Agree 1
    Anyone realize that Red Pin is in 'Desperate' Mode to get listings? They will force minimum wage on their agents and everyone knows that minimum wage price equals minimum wage service. If the consumer is ok with that, then so be it!
  • Commission wars | 03 Mar 2015, 01:16 PM Agree 0
    copied me on the SO Cute!! So surprising why these ego agents do the dance on these webistes when they say they are SO BUSY!!!??

Finished looking on MLS for a new lisitng they could taxi/tour..... so what too do!!?? Banter on about how they justify their skills and how the world of real estate would crumble without them.....

COMMISSION WARS!! think he is right push prices up with price wars and commission prices down!! WIN WIN For consumers..I like it!!
  • Wiseoldbroker | 03 Mar 2015, 01:19 PM Agree 1
    Boooooooring! I've seen it all before; Savvy Real Estate, Help-U-Sell Real Estate, a recent one that just announced the closing of the their operations ... Zoocasa, RealtySellers, and whole bunch more.
    Am I scared? Not one BIT! Been there many times.
  • TOUR GUIDES | 03 Mar 2015, 01:25 PM Agree 0
    GREEDYOLDBROKER

of course ur not scared ur MOnoploy before was not threatened ...it is all these new agents that have been fooled into making easy money... just pay for dues,courses,fees etc....it is ur wiseold thinking of GREED that has created the present... typical boasting about ur ego/success from being a tour guide...
  • judy | 03 Mar 2015, 01:27 PM Agree 1
    Just did a sale with a cost-cutter agent, what a nightmare! She's been through so many of the companies and it was like pulling teeth to get co-operation. She is working from home and towns away from her head office, so doesn't have a clue how real estate has evolved in the past 10 or so years and we got the deal together in spite of her. Kind of like a "toothless" dinosaur sucking the bones......
  • Judy The Fool | 03 Mar 2015, 01:37 PM Agree 0
    Did a deal with a bloated/ego agent who had 15 years of experience and the realtor didn't have a clue what they were doing. Judy is a fool nothing is guaranteed with 5% or 1,000 flat fee...find a great agent for a 1,000 or find a ego one who charges 5%...hmmmmm...???

EGO Agent pays for their new car payments and getting her nails done or pay for ur kids education and ur own mortgage??? Every industry is being threatened by the internet and knowledge of consumers...SHOULD CHANGE their name from realtor to Reality
  • Tony | 03 Mar 2015, 01:37 PM Agree 0
    The market is evolving and the realtors are trying desperately to hang on to their 2.5% greed induced fee... the time bomb is about to blow .... all the way down to maybe 1.5% if they are lucky ....
  • Lmao ... | 03 Mar 2015, 01:47 PM Agree 1
    "Copied me on the SO Cute"! ... Commission Wars, really??? Lmao!!!

My apologies! I didn't realize we were in elementary school. I'm sorry to have "copied" your extraordinary expression of "SO Cute"! I guess that was just my supposed ego! After all, I can't be that busy if I find a few minutes to respond to ignorance! I mean, Realtors have to be working 24/7, or they just can't justify getting paid, right? Shame on them for having time off!

..."Commission Wars", I would recommend cheese with your wine!

• wet behind the ears | 03 Mar 2015, 01:54 PM Agree 0
    How easy you get sucked into dancing on here..how naïve!! You are a little wet behind the ears!! From what I can tell you are 30 ,live at home,maybe renting with friends and sold a couple bloated fee deals and acting out ur ego..

Make sure when/if the market turns you shrug ur teenager shoulders and tell them oops

please tell me ur surgical methods of selling real estate... look up resales and shoot for that ?? High Shcool project... taxi and tour service pening door to all bedrooms and closets...hold out in a sellers market ..cry when the price wars kick in

Commision wars!!
  • M.E. | 03 Mar 2015, 01:56 PM Agree 1
    I wonder what kind of marketing and pro-activity, a zero commission agent is willing to put forth in order to get the best deal for their clients. I guess the sellers will get what they are paying for.
  • Crystal Ball | 03 Mar 2015, 01:58 PM Agree 0
    UBer is changing the landscape..stock brokers use to control the markets and that has changed too...now that is a market you needed advice..that too was a flip of coin...realtors are just fliiping coins too...buyers and sellers my crystal ball tells me pay me a fee for my taxi service
  • $1,000 transactions | 03 Mar 2015, 02:04 PM Agree 0
    M.E talking like the dinasours u get what u pay for...tour guide/taxi service it so surgical?....that model is unduplicated!!!, most of these ego agents send out their gopher agent helpers to do the showings/taxi service...where is the value??

No matter what a agent can have all the experience / ego in the world and problems,disappointmets happen..

Find a 1,000 agent and keep ur money for ur kids schooling,mortgage payments etc

Commission Wars!!!
  • Lmao ... | 03 Mar 2015, 02:14 PM Agree 1
    "Commission Wars", "Wet Behind The Ears", "Cheese With Your Wine"! (...it really doesn't matter!)

Your psychology degree is of great use at this moment! Ohhhhh how you know me and the real estate industry soooo well! Your brilliance is unmatched! ... I mean, waiting by the home computer in anticipation of making that reply and having your response read by others! Your fingers trembling in excitement so that your heard for a brief time! Having that power of "sucking" people in to your highly educated and informative discussions! Helping us "dance" on this great forum! Allowing us to bring out our "egos".

Thank you!

• Monopoly/Tour Guide | 03 Mar 2015, 02:24 PM Agree 0
    Grasping at anything instead of defending or justifying those fees for being a tour guide
    The only reason u have a ego is a monopoly on information..you take away that stranglehold you would be a actual taxi driver(which is respectable)..in the real world if u had a model that real added value you wouldn't have to fight for that monopoly..

• NothingNew | 03 Mar 2015, 02:50 PM Agree 0
    Your comment is ridiculous. "Worth every penny they are paid".

The "best" agents won't spend a dime more than they have to for advertising and marketing their listing that they are an "AGENT" for.

They always choose the lowest price sign guy... lowest price floorplans.... lowest price photographer..... cheapest print option for feature sheets.... THAT IS IF THEY DO ANY OF THAT AT ALL.

And that justifys tens of thousands of dollars?

I know literally hundreds of agents (because of my undisclosed line of work) and the ones with the most listing and the least listing are ALL THE SAME.

In their personal lives... they brag about cheating on their taxes and claiming their kids as "office assistants"..... they brag about where they download their movies from because they don't want to pay for HBO.... they complain about the low quality of graphic design $12/hr airhead unqualified part-time brokerage office assistant doing her poly-sci degree who produces their feature sheets in bloody MS Word (a pirated copy because agents don't pay for any software they can pirate) ..... but they are worth TENS of thousands of dollars for a single transaction?

Get lost. You are an agent commenting in this forum trying to justify lies. Me? I'll go back to sorting through MLS listings online right now with the egregious spelling errors in the property description and little more than a front photo taken with the agents' iphone .

Did you know according to every Realtor's listing description... that every property is apparently "STUNNING!" ???
  • Jonny Boy | 03 Mar 2015, 02:54 PM Agree 1
    Sell private, have your own open house, showings all weekend and nights, tons of phone calls,strangers unaccompanied through your home .
    Wife alone to open the door at 8 o'clock.
    Oh wait
  • MONOPOLY | 03 Mar 2015, 02:59 PM Agree 0
    Monopoly and commission wars!!! More agents too collect those fees for the monopoly fight!!!! If their model was so solid they wouldn't have to fight ..because those fees/dues would dry up and their broken model would fall apart..

greedy ego agents are ruining it for the new agents who are forced to give up all of it open to stay alive...ego agent is so powerful..the only reason they have a fight is those 35,000 agents paying the dues/fees that are used to fight too keep the monopoly they are enjoying..

I think it should be war on the high flyer ego agent who thinks his master of the industry is based on skill...it is a MONOPOLY PAID FOR BY THE EXTRA 35,000 agents paying all those dues/fees for lawyers to fight it...
  • D.W. | 03 Mar 2015, 03:06 PM Agree 1
    I have been listing and selling since 1992. I find that almost every listing situation that I am involved in today is more complicated than in previous years i.e. estate sales, illness in the family, home in need of lot of repair, divorce, job loss etc. By the time the home is listed, I have already put hours of work into helping the seller get ready to sell. I don't think that I would want to list for 0 commission even if I was going to assist with the buying of another property when I consider the number of hours that I spend helping the seller get ready to list their property i.e. calls to lawyers, handyman, painters, etc.etc.etc.
  • TJ | 03 Mar 2015, 03:10 PM Agree 1
    "NothingNew",

I'm not even an agent and I don't know what the heck they do to justify their expenses and write them off. But I can see how ridiculous YOUR comment was.

"In their personal lives..." ... You've basically just described every other business owner and contract worker out there doing what their accountant says to do!

I'm sure the "hundreds of agents" that you supposedly know would respect you twice as much for your generalizations, assumptions misleading comments!

P.S I know! You are now in the process of preparing a "ridiculous" response to this because you feel like you can't let me get away with the facts that I just stated! Unfortunately for you! I stated my two cents and leave you to your time wasting!
  • Tim | 03 Mar 2015, 03:16 PM Agree 0
    Haha!

I just scrolled through these comments and just realized their made by Realtors trying to educate people, or by one or two individuals who are angry at the world and their situation in life!

And as for Red Pin. They are sitting back loving the hits and exposure they are getting!

Can't well all just get along?

• Monopoly | 03 Mar 2015, 03:34 PM Agree 0
    Commission wars ... greedy old agents who think they invented the wheel
  • FSBO | 03 Mar 2015, 03:39 PM Agree 0
    Exactly how does an agent get a seller more money than the value of the home??
    Hey, I have a house for sale valued at $500,000 but I (MR SMOOTH OPERATOR REALTOR) can get you more than list?
  • Greedy OLD AGENTS | 03 Mar 2015, 03:46 PM Agree 0
    Greedy old ego agents who is being supported on their broken model by fees/dues paid by the 35,000 agents promoted like a infomercial
  • HouseHunting | 03 Mar 2015, 03:46 PM Agree 0
    Ahahahaha!

TJ's point just got proven with the last two comments!

Good job!
  • Roman | 03 Mar 2015, 04:06 PM Agree 1
    I

I believe we have a competitive industry that has seen many types of discounts and levels of service. We are always findings ways to hurt
    our industry with selling ourselves and our services for less and less. Yes the consumer wants us to work for nothing they are laughing at
    how we sell our services and discredit our value. If this is how you want to try and make a future for yourself do so, but do not ask a professional to do the same.
    Some of us are worth a little more then nothing. Come on get out of working for nothing it does not pay!
  • Carlos | 03 Mar 2015, 04:12 PM Agree 1
    Theredpin is a mess. They no longer have salaried agents, despite their website still advertising this. They do not have 60% more listings than any other company. Their value proposition is total BS. They have chopped and changed their business model a dozen times each time moving closer to a traditional brokerage.
  • RT | 03 Mar 2015, 04:19 PM Agree 1
    That is such a flawed model, there is no way I would participate. It's asking me to assume all the expenses of marketing a property, and my time- which is worth something despite what many people think- with only purchasing commission as earnings? This is counterproductive and is sure to drive quality agents away. Remember, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
  • David | 03 Mar 2015, 04:26 PM Agree 1
    You my friend really do not have any understanding of what goes on to sell a property or the expenses an agent faces to be in business. If you think that buying a box of donuts is what an agent does to sell a home you need to shake your head. An example of your "box of donuts" for the last listing I sold I had over 3k in advertising alone plus staging, cleaning, snow clearing and the entire basement painted. All was done to get top dollar for my client. The average agent in the GTA makes 50k dollars a year. Last year my advertising and office/lic expenses were more than 50k and that does not include vehicle expenses. Over 70 percent of the 34k agents in the GTA are part time agents. Many of these part time agents don't really care if they cut their commission as it's only a part time endeavor. The ones like myself that are full time agents that do full service and give value for their fee has little to be compared with a part time agent. You get what you pay for.
  • | 03 Mar 2015, 04:26 PM Agree 0
    Booooooooring!
  • Commisson wars on door openers | 03 Mar 2015, 04:29 PM Agree 0
    Remember "you get what you pay for" is right you over pay and the results are no different ...the dinasour talk if you pay top dollar u guaranteed results and we all know that model is flawed... we all have payed top dollar and no dollars and both have questionable results ... pay 1,000 and when it doesn't work at least ur ahead of the gaem
  • Door Openers | 03 Mar 2015, 04:33 PM Agree 0
    David,

uses a example where he spent a couple buck...please tell me about condos when u have to promote a box with doors??? what magic is involved? The tour last longer when u open doors in the amentiies area...
  • Chris | 03 Mar 2015, 04:59 PM Agree 1
    How many lawyers out there work for free, or doctors? are realtors really that worthless that we have to offer free services in order to attract business? this stinks of used car salesmen tactics to get that old jelopy sold and into a new "upgraded" model - this is merely a gimmick with no value to clients who think they are getting a good deal and saving commission- how hard is your realtor going to work for YOU knowing they are not making any money, until you (when and if) decide to buy another property - what if your seller is moving out of the area altogether, are you going to drive to sudbury to show homes? are you going to have the knowledge of another market to service your clients properly? if you only want to get paid on one end, then offer your services as a buyer agent, not a seller agent
  • Commission Wars!! | 03 Mar 2015, 05:36 PM Agree 0
    I have a confession. I am just a dried up angry fool with no friends. The only way people will talk to me is if I start an argument, and I enjoy seeing people struggle. I don't have a high School Diploma so I couldn't be a Realtor, and i don't even own a home. Tony and I live together along with our pet sheep, whom we both adore. Someday I will have a real life and stop bothering people that are out to help others, but until then, I can say anything i like on this forum and get away with it. I like the idea of commission cutting because i think all Realtors are better than I am, I have no self esteem, only a pent up desire to stomp my foot on a soap box. please forgive me everyone and Tony...

I'll see Ewe later....

Commission Wars!!
  • YouGottaBeKiddin! | 03 Mar 2015, 05:58 PM Agree 1
    Commission Wars (Tony, etc), you just summed it up well!

Your an ignorant individual beyond comprehension whose wasted his entire day (as evident by scrolling through these comments) complaining about something you don't understand, nor want to understand, when you could be doing something more productive with your time! Your lack of education on the subject has been nothing but amusing! Yet, you will call on the services of a Realtor when the time comes!

Ciao!
  • PoeticLicense | 03 Mar 2015, 06:31 PM Agree 0
    you know what's so interesting? The Red Pin's tag line is that their agents offer superior service because they are not on commission but on a "bonus" when the client is satisfied. The "bonus" is around $1200 in addition to their fixed monthly salary of $2500, and the bonus increases to around $1800 per deal if he agent can do between 5 and 8 transactions. Yes per month! And yes, it begs the question, if an agent can close 8 deals a month off the "leads" they provide... (we all know what "internet leads" are like) why wouldn't they work and get paid the commission. This model is based on the fact that most agents don't want to learn how to generate their own leads. The concepts clearly works, as many other different models work, however my profound concern would be the level of skill and expertise a Buyer or Seller would receive if their agent is only getting a bonus of $1200 and the agent on the other side will receive 2.5% of the sales price.
  • GREED | 03 Mar 2015, 06:43 PM Agree 0
    Commission wars on the DOOR OPENERS!! RESALE LOOKER UPPERS!! TAXI SERVICE BACK AND FOURTH! TOUR GUIDES!

35000 agents and 32000 paying for the bloated fee system for the EGO Agents and the lawyers to hold onto the monopoly.

The majority of new,younger,less successful agents don't have a chance. That is why the commission wars are heated. But the ego thinks my master skill,ego is surgical...another greed that ego left to pick over soon enough...

Prices of homes went up not the value of agents.
  • John | 03 Mar 2015, 09:38 PM Agree 1
    This is virtually the same program all "discount" brokerages offer. They take their end of the deal (2.5%) but offer nothing to the cooperating broker. This is innovation? It's a slap in the face to brokerages who work hard to help their clients find the right home and work to protect the buyer's interests throughout the buuying process. The whole idea of "Buyer Broker" is to ensure the the buyer has a broker working on his/her behalf. This effort to eliminate this part of the business is misguided and our government should be stepping in to stop it or at least force them to clearly inform buyers that they will have to deal with the sellers agent on their own when they buy.
  • Ali | 03 Mar 2015, 10:04 PM Agree 1
    Dont Trust this type of brokerage and agent . red pine is sucks
  • George | 03 Mar 2015, 10:16 PM Agree 1
    Typical red pin add : Minto Westside® Condos - Official Exclusive Insider Access‎ - www.westsidecondominiums.ca/‎

Pretending to be Builder official site : scam

call them red flag not red pin
  • Mike | 03 Mar 2015, 10:19 PM Agree 1
    Love it Yes Yes Yes Red Flag = Red Pin
  • Commission Wars!! | 03 Mar 2015, 10:59 PM Agree 0
    I work for Red Fin, we are really struggling to keep in the public eye. This un-refereed forum provides me a great venue to fly in the face of Real Estate Professionals. Oh ya that's the name of the Online Mag... Soon I will pay people to list homes and sell them...that will show ewes guys... this whole discussion has been advertising for our silly company.

Commission Wars!! LOL
  • Jack | 03 Mar 2015, 11:00 PM Agree 1
    This magazine has gone to crap lol. Tony likely rents & RedPin obviously can't sell. Still getting 5% here and still maintaining a database of over 6700 clients and growing over the past 10yrs. Real agents wouldn't take Tony's business anyways. Professionals don't work with know it all welfare recipients. Keep renting Tony it suits you.
  • More Agents | 03 Mar 2015, 11:28 PM Agree 0
    we need more agents to push for more commission wars...more infomercials for adding more dreams for agents to make big commissions!!
  • Kayacafe | 04 Mar 2015, 12:05 AM Agree 0
    So Redpin, if your agent double ends the sale and gets the buyers side of the commission do they have to give part of that back also? Next thing you know Uber will be giving you a free ride to your destination and will only charge you for the return trip.
  • MORE AGENTS!!! | 04 Mar 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
    MORE AGENTS!!! MORE AGENTS!! this will push the commissions down!!! hopefully they keep promoting the dream of easy money and more agents sign up and than will really have COMMISSION WARS!!! YEAH!!!
  • Yolla | 04 Mar 2015, 09:43 AM Agree 1
    I would like to challenge all those giving the "thumb up" (who think that Realtors getting paid 2.5% are truly over paid) to actually do the work that REAL Realtors do, and then make a decision on compensation. An opinion based on ignorance is not valid.
    That being said, however, an "order taker" Realtor is definitely NOT worth 2.5%, and if THAT is all a Realtor is willing/able to do, then your point has merit. But try to do what the rest of us, the REAL professionals, actually do, and then come back here and dare to tell us that we're charging too much. Seriously? We are underpaid, over used, under appreciated... and I'm fed up with people who just don't get it.
  • PoeticLicense | 04 Mar 2015, 09:54 AM Agree 0
    Beware of The Red Pin. They can afford to not charge a selling commission and not worry about having a buyer contract with the same seller on the buying side. Yes, shame on them. The whole reason they can try this "innovative" business model of having their agents as lowly paid employees receiving a monthly "base salary" of $2500 and an additional "bonus" of $1200 to $1800 when they sell a property, is because they are funded with a couple of million dollars from Onyx Corp. Question: how well served is the unsuspecting Seller or Buyer when they're assigned a newbie agent who's earning zero dollars on the listing side versus a the 2.5% the buyer agent would receive?
    In addition, their 'tag line' is grossly misleading: their agents are "not on commission" they receive a "bonus" for satisfied clients which means they give superior customer service??? What a joke. You tell me: which agent is going to get rid of the client quicker in order to move on to the next one, the one getting $1200 or the one receiving $10,000 for the same property's sale?
    In my view the public does not have a clue as to what can go wrong with a real estate transaction and why, like with anything else in life, you get what you pay for.
    Last I heard every time I sell a home I keep 50 other professionals employed, from lenders to movers to real estate lawyers to handymen, landscapers, all of Home Depot... yet they are all entitled to get paid for their work but not the Realtor whose paycheque always seems up for grabs... because we have no families to support, no mortgage or rent to pay, no business expenses AND we are expected to be on call 24/7 in a profession that deals with business transactions, not with medical emergencies.
  • PoeticLicense | 04 Mar 2015, 10:05 AM Agree 0
    Your post is extremely misleading. Last I heard both the seller AND they buyer pay a commission to their agent , around 3% each. Plus you can't compare real estate in England with Canada. There is no MLS service and the Buyer can be outbid on the property they bought up to closing day. How great is that?
  • Commission wars!!! | 04 Mar 2015, 10:12 AM Agree 0
    I want More Agents!!!! Commission wars!!! more order takers!! More Tour Guides!! More Door Openers!!! More stagers!!! More looker uppers for resales so they can make those tough price decisions on listings and sales!!!

Think all boards should push for MORE AGENTS!!!
    Lawyers understand they add just as much value if not more and they make 1,000 per transaction. All this guff with the right agent yu get good advice..well ,we all know things change and their advice can turn later for the worse... so no guarantee with paying big dollars...I would pay the lawyer more because that is who u need when the great advice from the experience agent can go bad..

Commission wars!!!!
  • MORE AGENTS!! | 04 Mar 2015, 10:14 AM Agree 1
    MORE AGENTS!! and tony and commission wars are all the same dink. its a disgruntled renter that missed his buying opportunity. New article today: Average homesale in Toronto over one million. too bad he didn't buy when it was 800k, maybe a professional would have gotten a better price on the buying side and get it for 750? too bad MORE AGENTS!! change your hissy name and go again, you missed out... hugs
  • Commission wars!! | 04 Mar 2015, 10:17 AM Agree 0
    Commission wars!! Ooooh look now I'm Commission Wars!!! yay! what a scammer lol go back to your sheep and tony baaaaa
  • Wendy | 04 Mar 2015, 10:45 AM Agree 1
    Most Sellers think we do not work hard enough for our money. Think about those Sellers who say their home is worth a certain price and the Realtor disagrees. Many times the Realtor will take that listing hoping to get the Seller to reduce down to the price the Realtor said. In the mean time there is expensive advertising. Local papers are extremely expensive for Realtor's to place ads. It is not just putting your listing on MLS. Do you realize it costs a Realtor with all their board dues, Crea, Orea and Reco dues over $2000.00 a year. The wear and tear on their vehicles and the upkeep on technology. The general public gets paid a week or two later after they have worked a set number of hours. A Realtor works and works and might not get paid for hours they have worked for a client. That being said how many People out there work with a Realtor then see an ad and call another agent and go with them to purchase a property. Now the other Agent has taken a client out and shown then 5-10 properties and done some paper work like a few offers which didn't go anywhere. The new Agent has answered their phone shown the one property and does up the offer and sells that property. The general public does not think of this. If you were to work out what an agent makes an hour in some cases it could be $100.00 but not always, it can work out to $10.00 an hour which is below minimum wage in Ontario. Why is it ok for the General Public get paid big bucks for what they do and the Realtor can't get paid what they deserve. When you buy a car, you don't' question what the Sales Person and the Dealership is getting paid, You negotiate a little but ultimately the Sales Person takes to his/her higher up and you have a deal or don't. People need not to look at the end result a Realtor gets paid because you don't know how much it's cost them to do business. Not to say all Realtors are the same. There are some really good Realtors and some dishonest and not so good. Pick wisely and you will get awesome service.
  • Greg M | 04 Mar 2015, 10:47 AM Agree 1
    High School Dropout complaining? I doubt it.. but it becomes a bigger challenge to Promote the value of your worth as an agent when the simple tactic is to just give it all away. The race to zero is on... those who get there first lose.

Greg
  • G | 04 Mar 2015, 10:55 AM Agree 1
    Oh.. And Why is the on line rag called Real Estate Professional???
    if they are promoting ideas like Red Pin, it being totally unprofessional, as the only marketing and innovative ideas they have is to charge lower rates. Yes.. Thats really innovative. If your a Walmart, and your a commodity, great.. go for it. Dont worry about professionalism, ethics, etc..
  • John Murphy / Broker | 04 Mar 2015, 01:07 PM Agree 1
    You have obviously never worked in Real Estate or any other commission based job. What people fail to realize is whether you work with a professional Real Estate Sales person or decide to go it alone (or with a private sale company), you have the Real Estate Professionals to thank for the equity you have built in your home. When you purchased your home, you likely worked with a Real Estate Salesperson. That person assured that you did not overpay for the property. When market conditions change, it is the Real Estate professionals who monitor this and make sure that when the time comes to sell you don't sell your home for less than Market value. As far as your comment that all we do is bring donuts and coffee to an Open House; We make an Open House look easy because we are professionals. We coordinate the advertising, place signage on the property days in advance to attract as many "lookers" as possible, show up 20 minutes before the Open House to put out the directional signage and spend another 10 to 15 minutes afterward taking them down. So, on a Sunday when you are home watching football and eating nachos, we are giving up approximately 4 hours that we could spend with our families to in an attempt to create as much activity as possible for our Sellers. I have spent 20 years in this Industry and sold nearly 1,000 homes. I treat people fairly and I always place my clients best interest above profit but I don't apologize for a nickel of the commissions I have earned over those years.
  • Mike | 04 Mar 2015, 01:21 PM Agree 1
    Red Flag = Red Pin

Professional service cost money ... if you think 0$ sales your home go to Red Flag brokerage
  • robert norman clarke, broker | 04 Mar 2015, 03:28 PM Agree 1
    what happens when market corrects and listings are a dime a dozen? will RED PIN still be marketing properties under this program? After a few buyer agency agreements expire with no purchase, sales people may think twice going this route of having no compensation for selling their home. time will tell
  • Broker Pete | 04 Mar 2015, 04:06 PM Agree 1
    We the menbers of CREA own the MLS. We make our information way to accessible
    If we got rid of the MLS and only published our listing on local boards (Treb , OMDREB etc) The public would need to deal with a professional realtor. This is the way the rest of the world runs it private membership. Why do we offer it at no cost. In fact at the end of the day it ends up costing all of us thousands. This is what allows all of these discount brokerage to flourish. ( mere postings comm free. Etc )
    Going back to basics.
  • Roddie | 04 Mar 2015, 07:42 PM Agree 1
    The old saying stands, "You get what you pay for". I read a few comments on here, Tony get back to class your late. Some one said agents should only make 1 to 2 thousand, Ok that's my marketing budget per listing to get my listings sold and knock on wood I have been selling all my listings.
    These fly by night agencies seem to come and go and most of their agents get burnt out not making any money. Some listings sell quick and that is due to the realtors work in getting the word out there for your listing. I see many properties listed for months with these discount agencies and many don't sell since the realtor is not making money, they are not effectively marketing your property.
    Putting your home on MLS and a sign on your yard is not always going to sell your home. Some will sell but very few do.

I lost out on a listing last week where the seller called me in the morning and said we are going to list with you and 2 hours later they texted me a sorry we are going with another realtor who is going to do it for half price 2.5%. She wants to make nothing as she is offering the 2.5% to the buyers agent. Not to mention the house is the worst house in the market right now in that price range with no marketing plan. Makes no sense to me why a realtor has no self worth at all. The best is they are moving out of country. No buyers there eh!
  • MORE AGENTS | 04 Mar 2015, 10:23 PM Agree 0
    Stop flirting with me you Realtors it is embarrassing!!! That defense is so powerful!!

all these whiners acting like they are surgeons or engineers and they inveted the wheel!!!!.... if wasn't for them the market would fall apart!!!!. EGO!!! They have a monopoly on information and that is it. Sure their tour service for opening doors could have some technique...or there taxi service could be nice with a warm car picking you up. ALL boards should push for as many agents as possible so they collect more dues... Consumers keep shopping till u find a great agent for a 1,000 and keep ur cash for the kids schooling!!!!
  • yes I'm a Realtor | 05 Mar 2015, 09:27 AM Agree 1
    I hope those who cheer this idea also work for free, otherwise how they can honestly ask an other human being to spend time,money and their expertise to serve someone without compensation? Is there any other profession were you can ask for a service for free ?
    How many times we lowered our commission trusting the owner's intention to buy,than they disappeared or rented instead? Why sellers think that the other owner should be paying their expenses once they buy ? What happens when the commission on the second transaction is only 1 or 1.5% to the cooperating agent?
    The public already gained access to Mls for private sale. The honest thing to do if you want to save the commission to sell it yourself, especially if you think all it takes is an open house with donuts.
  • Commissione Wars | 05 Mar 2015, 10:03 AM Agree 0
    Lots of crying on here from postings!! MOre agents and more commission wars!! Realtors brought us PRICE/BIDDING WARS time for lots of commission wars!!!!

The Charity that consumers have been giving is OVER!!!
  • Tony | 05 Mar 2015, 01:56 PM Agree 1
    Next step for Red Pin would be office garage sale (Office Furniture, office chairs, desks and cabinets with free delivery ).
  • Garage Realtors | 05 Mar 2015, 06:11 PM Agree 0
    I think it is a great idea to have part time realtors working from their garage..like a satellite office...$500 transactions and $750 for legal and the rest for my kids schooling and vacations!!
  • Tony | 05 Mar 2015, 08:27 PM Agree 0
    84% of realtors are part time... But they still want full commission to give out their garbage advice to the even more intellectually challenged clients who are foolish enough to hire them.... What a mess this industry is
  • Door Openers | 05 Mar 2015, 09:44 PM Agree 0
    you should be happy that 84% are part time all those fees,dues ,courses has helped pay the lawyers to fight too keep the monopoly.... you should be thanking the part timers and stop acting like you invented the wheel....

ur next response should be a warm appreciation to the part timers who have kept u in business.
  • Realtor | 06 Mar 2015, 01:00 PM Agree 1
    And after you added up all your expenses in marketing and selling your clients home you are probably the person that is going to ask your buyers if they can pick you up to show them homes !! Idiots !
  • greed | 06 Mar 2015, 02:35 PM Agree 0
    Monopoly that is being paid for by fees and dues by the majority of agents..the greedy egos just want more and point blame away!!
  • Red Pin Agents | 07 Mar 2015, 09:45 AM Agree 1

We are desperate at Red Pin, please help us otherwise We've run out of financial aid.

• GREEDY | 07 Mar 2015, 10:35 AM Agree 0
    35000 agents and they all need too eat!!! They brought this war on commissions themselves and greedy ones just want more so they complain,whine,..they know they will have to work harder and competition will make that happen...spoiled for too long by the greedy ones of the past...
  • Tom | 07 Mar 2015, 11:35 AM Agree 1
    Sounds desperate, let's see if they are around in 6 months
  • Commission wars | 07 Mar 2015, 11:55 AM Agree 0
    I agree lets see what happens with the 4-6% charging agents if many will still be left in 6 months!!! More consumers will want to keep those bloated fees charged by ego agents for their kids college education etc!!
  • Anthony | 08 Mar 2015, 11:21 AM Agree 1
    Commission wars = Red Flag Brokerage Agent

People always pay for value NOT losers like you selling your cheap ass fake service.

You have only few more months to leave this business for ever.
  • Door Openers | 08 Mar 2015, 01:22 PM Agree 0
    Name calling Is very mature Tonies...The ego model of paying bloated fees Is becoming the broken model!! Prices of home increased NOT THE VALUE OR SERVICE OF AGENTS. Consumers are seeing the fees they are paying do not see a return on investment for these agents... No matter what you pay issues happen ..

Paying a agent $1,000 is more than generous and I have used many agents who charged that and the service was no different than a agent who charged 4-5%... keep ur money for ur kids schooling,vacations,emergencies etc..

MORE COMMISSION WARS!! MORE AGENTS!!! MORE DOOR OPENERS!! MORE TOUR GUIDES!!! MORE TAXI SERVICE!!!

• Anthony | 08 Mar 2015, 02:06 PM Agree 1
    Door Openers Commission wars = same losers = red flag losers selling BS to public

YOU ARE NOT PROFESSIONAL ... LOSER SELLING BS TO PUBLIC
  • DOOR OPENERS | 08 Mar 2015, 02:29 PM Agree 0
    you tell em tonies!! that strong defense and arguments for ur high fees are outstanding ...we check resales,open doors,taxi..pay me $20,000-$50,000....

and don't think there are any alternatives to my 20,000-50,000 fees structure? you keep tell'em ur clients that ....

MORE AGENTS!!! MORE COMMISSION WARS!!! MORE DOOR OPENERS!!! MORE TAXI SERVICE MORE TOURS....excellent

• | 08 Mar 2015, 04:15 PM Agree 0
    I think that the real estate industry is long over due for a change in their business model. I think people are angry about the process and the and the renumeration but their hands are tied. Com free is not an option for most!
  • MTL realtor | 08 Mar 2015, 05:15 PM Agree 1
    I love it when im at a listing presentation and the sellers tell me that the other brokers are much cheapers and they they start at one amount and then settle for less. I reply by telling them to go ahead and hire that broker to negotiate your home (life savings) for you when they can't even negotiate their value. the looks on their faces are priceless ;)
  • | 08 Mar 2015, 05:24 PM Agree 1
    Can get a Taxi for under $20. you are over paying for a ride,, now Service thats another story,,Redpin has no listings because they have no service,,after spending Millions on adds,,,still no listings
  • | 08 Mar 2015, 05:27 PM Agree 1
    I am glad this question was raised in this forum. Some agents donot worth the getting paid even 1 percent on listing side since they donot bring value to the sale of homes. But still there are agents who can charge even 3 percent on listing side and 2.5 to buyer broker if they bring great negotiation skills; stagging , vast array of buyers and many other services associated with the sale of home. Every profession has who should get paid and who should not deserve to get paid. Concept of discount brokers who doesnot add value to clients but give away their commission to bribe or lure clients - have no negotiation skills to sell their own services if so clients who are going after should think if they cannot negotiate their own pay cheque how are they going to negotiate top dollar to my home. If they donot interest on their money and give away their money as a model modern day discount broker... can I expect they will be interested my own money. Intetesting answer is big no. The biggest problem is becoming a real estate agent is too easey. Reco should bring new standareds make this profession a real profession. I am not worried about discounted web site based brokerages. Providing personalized customer services with high degree of professionalisum cost money ... if those website opperate low cost model it will be refelected in their services and eventually frustrated clients looking for full service brokers. Dollar store cannot give away what is in bay for the same dollar ... simple as that
  • door openers | 08 Mar 2015, 05:48 PM Agree 0
    more nonsense who can be worth 2-3% to stage a house...their negotiating skills!!! it is supply demand market all agents add is look at sold comparables!!! how can this be worth more than $1,000.00 nothing more...

They make themselves sound like someone who cured cancer!!!.....their is no skill!!! Tour Guides,DOOR OPENERS<TAXI SERVICE, Look at solds online..

how can that be worth 20,000-50,000???

The price of home escalated rapidly and their model caught the ride and consumers PAID FOR IT!!!! THE SMOKE AND MIRRORS IS UP!!!!
  • Yes, I'm a Realtor | 08 Mar 2015, 06:01 PM Agree 1
    Dear Tony, Red Pin, Commission wars an PUBLIC

You get much more than WHAT YOU PAID FOR......you get a lot of service for free !!!!Our job starts with free home evaluation, free listing presentation, free advice and step by step education about the process, ,free research on your competition and about the general market, we tell you our marketing plan, introduce you to the best trade people, lawyer, mortgage broker we know etc. ......and than you decide to sell it yourself, or postpone it till next year. Even if we get the listing, all time ,work and expenses we put in it is our risk for a promise for a future payment.

Agent's never complained about losing commission because seller has changed their mind after 3 month not to sell at all, or buyers who decided after 6 month to wait till next year after seeing countless properties. We lost not just the commission but who is going to reimburse us for the time and money we invested in this process?

We've been taking advantage off time and time again, but the public only see the one commission cheque at the end and that is a big chunk I agree. They think it is not justified to get paid for all the rest we've done for others for free.

So Dear RED PIN, I have a solution for everyone. Why not PAY AS YOU GO?

I'd like to price every service I offer than you can pick and choose according to your budget. Have a price for home evaluation, hourly fee for open house, fee to write a contract, create and print marketing material etc....

Most agent would love to get paid for every property the buyer request to see. (even the one they can't afford but they want to see anyway)

Think about it,If we are worthless .....why are big developers with fancy sales office, trained sales stuff, millions spent on advertising needs agents to bring buyers by offering commission ?

One more thought .... So many other trades limits the number of license per area to create a healthy service and competition. Why OREA (Ontario Real Estate Association ) has never though about this to protect professionalism?
  • 101 Economics REALTOR | 08 Mar 2015, 07:59 PM Agree 0
    developers need you and you evaluate homes.???.please tell me what you do for the evaluation?? look at resales?? add or subtract hardwood?? What can u possibly tell someone about a condo ??? the status certificate tells the health the rest is a box with walls...future issues can happen to the best of buildings!!!?? I know the builders have agents running to them because they pay 3-5% commission and you do the song and dance with the clients...how can you tell someone the health,resale of pre -construction condo!!!?? Do u have a crystal ball? no wonder builders give you 3-5% so the clients can blame you later!! I have seen what agents do if things don't go well with a project later...WANT TO BUY THIS NEW PROJECT!!!??? OVER PAID TOUR GUIDES WHO ARE GWTTING A FREE RIDE ON A MARKET OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND....not rocket science to sell in a market of 101 economics!! WARM TAXI RIDE AND YOU OPEN DOORS LIKE I AM A CELEBRITY!!! I will give you that
  • Realtor | 08 Mar 2015, 08:46 PM Agree 1

FREE SERVICE = RED FLAGS = RED PIN
  • | 08 Mar 2015, 10:15 PM Agree 1
    It seems REP is fixated on commissions, there's a lot more to Real Estate than commissions. Do you not have any other worthwhile topics to cover? It gets tiresome after a while, a broken record.
    Bob
    40 year veteran
  • Full Time Realtor | 08 Mar 2015, 11:29 PM Agree 1
    What the average consumer doesn’t know is that in many cases, paying less means paying more. When you hire someone to do a job for half-pay or a straight fee instead of what they would traditionally make, you receive a different level of experience. This different experience level can lead to:

An incorrectly priced home — too high or too low.
    Secondary level of local real estate knowledge.
    Weak negotiating skills with the purchase contract or offers.
    Low-level marketing skills and budget, and limited ability to expose your property.
    Not available around the clock.
    When all or some of these things come into play, it can cost the person selling or buying a home money … lots of money. Yes, you are paying less, but you might also have less money in your pocket at the closing table.
  • | 09 Mar 2015, 12:54 AM Agree 0
    Its "MELON" not "mellon" good try!!
  • Jed Maitland-Carter | 09 Mar 2015, 08:04 AM Agree 0
    Ian, I think this "strategy" is driven by a non-selling broker who will still charge a deal fee. Also, what if the deal is double ended? It is more suited to a bank/insurance owned real estate brokerage, where the seller who becomes a buyers has to take their mortgage with them. It is pointing more to salaried agents than commission sales.

My concern, now after 32 years in real estate sales is to start a realtor pension fund.

Jed Maitland-Carter, Maitland-Carter Real Estate Inc. 416 893-7780 www.maitland-carter.com
  • Angela Hendry | 09 Mar 2015, 08:10 AM Agree 1
    Sadly the public will once again see realtors as a commodity. What happens is to sustain a career in this field one must be able to maintain a decent financial reward otherwise why would one work 24/7, strictly on commission and fork out thousands annully to local boards and brokerages? This new model will work for some but it will be at the cost of quality over quantity. Attracting clients in greater numbers with a lower commission only works if you do it in bulk and all realtors know it is impossible to give the level of service required without a team or an enormous amout of personal work. Something usually gives and it's usually at the clients expense. So let the public choose. There will always be people that strictly want a bargain but there are others who will appreciate quality service, long term relationship building and true service from a reputable source.
  • DOOR OPENERS | 09 Mar 2015, 09:06 AM Agree 0
    Door Openers,

OVer paid model and it is falling to the true value of $1,000-$2,000 per transaction...nobody is worth 4-5% to be a tour guide,look up comparables on their monopoly website...no matter part time, full time there is no magic in being a realtor..remember u barley need a high school diploma to be one!!! Prices of home have risen rapidly and the greedy agents took advantage with their commission structure...every other industry commissions have fallen over the last 20 years ..they had a monopoly and they fought with lawyers to keep it...they pushed for more agents so they could collect dues/fees to pay those lawyers..so the GREEDY ONES ARE SEEING THE BACKLASH and are whining about it now.. lawyers who do the closings on these deals have not charged more they have are actually getting less now..

all the new agents who had dreams of easy street see the reality and their struggle is because of the greed of the few
  • Bill Hubbard Century 21 in Vernon BC | 09 Mar 2015, 11:03 AM Agree 1
    It is funny when I see comments from Realtors like our friend Tony above about Realtors being so greedy and trying to hang on to traditional commission practices. They are almost always from Realtors with less than 5 years in the business or Realtors that do very little business. Newer Realtors have the naive belief that commission reduction brokerages or Realtors is somehow a new idea. My book keeper's first job 40 years ago was with 3% Realty. A commission model that was a discount one in the marketplace where she was. Trying to get more listings and sales by reduced commissions is an idea that is as old as Real Estate itself. I have 3 comments about this. First, for people who reduce commissions and try to present their models as somehow more altruistic or moral than higher commission models, give me a break. They simply have a belief that the way to make more money off the consumer is to lower fees to get more deals. Secondly, at least in our marketplace it does not seem to work. We have 3 such brokerages in our marketplace. All 3 were started by solid Realtors in brokerages with higher commission rates. They started their own brokerages with lower commission models in order to do more transactions. When we compare their sales activities over the years their change in business models have either decreased their sales or at the very least stayed the same. When you factor in the lower commission models they are likely netting less from a profit perspective. Lastly, as I have mentioned in this forum before. In my belief there is about 15% of the population that makes their buying decisions based on price alone. These folks have one question. How much? There must be a Real Estate model to look after these people. Just like there must be a Real estate model to look after they people that ask, "What am I getting for my money". These people don't mind paying more commission if they believe they are getting the value accordingly. The Real Estate business has evolved and will continue to evolve to cater these sets of consumers. There is lots of business out there for us all. The consumers decide which business model is right for them.
  • Fed UP | 09 Mar 2015, 11:06 AM Agree 1
    This is what happens when the industry continues to print licenses like bubble gum cards. It is the powers that be who serve only themselves that have manifested this whole debacle. Everyone gets paid except for the poor schmucks doing the work. The ranks of RECO OREA ands CREA grow every year to handle the over capacity of Realtors nation wide. Every one pays dues...the salaries of all these organization get paid...the brokers are making a killing and the rank and file...the Doers...get the shaft every time.
  • | 09 Mar 2015, 11:07 AM Agree 0
    I am sorry to be so direct but if you think that we are only tour guides...whatever you are charging now you should reduce it.
  • REALTY TO REALITY | 09 Mar 2015, 11:22 AM Agree 0
    Fed up is right... the few greedy agents who thought they were surgeons and had egos to go along with it have created all this competition,discussions etc...they act like they invented the wheel when the prices of home went up and the consumers paid enormous fees for return on value that was never justified...they said my clients didn't say anything!!..sure when you have the in-experience in selling one home as a consumer ,the emotion , certain motivation in selling takes over the BLOATED FEES THE EGOS ARE CHARGING....REALTY IS CHANGING TO REALITY...

ALl these agents and their crystal balls...like a infomercial..
  • Realty Wars Veteran | 09 Mar 2015, 05:37 PM Agree 1
    FED UP WITH THIS CARP !!

I can't believe that I'm replying to all the carping which I've read in this forum. There is no point in having a civil conversation with the "KNOW-IT-ALLS'" on this forum: their minds are made up: that all agents are scum and not worth the money we are paid, and no matter what you say, you will never convince them otherwise. Let these "birthers" crawl back into the dark holes they've escaped from.
    To all the other hard working agents, ignore this garbage and go back to work and don't waste your time arguing with these uninformed idiots.
  • HOMEY R | 09 Mar 2015, 05:41 PM Agree 0
    It's very simple really to put real estate commissions into perspective when all we need to ask is this:

"Are Realtors doing more, spending more to market properties for sale today than they did when real estate prices were half of what they are now?" That wasn't too many years ago was it.

Why should the consumer effectively pay twice as much today as say 10 - 15 years ago? Doesn't make any sense does it? It's high time Realtors come clean and be real.
  • Door Openers!!! | 09 Mar 2015, 06:10 PM Agree 0
    The magical agents brought us price/biddng wars ...TIME FOR COMMISSION/bidding WARS!!!!! MOre Commission wars ...more realtors!!!! More door openers!!! More Tour Guides...YEAH!!!!!!

HOmey is right like I said they have not justified their fees ever..they got a free ride and the consumer is waking up and now we HAVE COMMISSION WARS!!!! YEAH!!
  • MORE AGENTS to Open Doors | 10 Mar 2015, 09:55 AM Agree 0
    Whatever these silver tongued Ego agents tell you it doesn't change one iota that they are not adding the value for their fees!!

Commission wars ...lets hope the competition bureau opens the info for the rest of us !!
  • TAXI Service | 10 Mar 2015, 02:24 PM Agree 0
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/09/toronto-real-estate-data_n_6831824.html

check out the url from the post
  • Bruce | 11 Mar 2015, 11:57 AM Agree 1
    Good comment. Interestingly enough since 2008 crash in the US 50% of all agents have left the business and today there is not one single national discount real estate company in existence! Even in our market discount brokerages are on the edge.
  • julie glass-ashley | 12 Mar 2015, 10:52 AM Agree 0
    Help me understand the mathematics of listing a home for nothing.....there is a good to doing business well! And who is to say that on the other end there is a listing that is paying the co-operating brokerage 2.5%. Then what?!
  • jack jazz | 12 Mar 2015, 01:25 PM Agree 0
    When properties sell for around 1 million plus on both ends I can see some commission consideration if you feel your not worth it or take some of the listing savings and give a bonus to the selling agent for a incentive or try to sell a 1 % er and stay in business.. they can't in my opinion unless they sell to their sellers our listings that pay full sell commissions or should we offer them or all agents the same 1% and we wouldn't need buyers agents anymore there's the fix...lol or wait when the market goes cold sellers will pay what it takes!
  • | 16 Mar 2015, 11:47 AM Agree 0
    You get what you pay for. Good luck .
  • | 16 Mar 2015, 11:49 AM Agree 0
    You have obviously not met a good agent who protected your asset from yourself.
  • HRM_Realtor | 16 Mar 2015, 12:53 PM Agree 0
    After the 35th post FILLED with errors I had to stop and say this.. SPELL CHECK your posts before hitting the button!!! Is it possible that we Realtors are perceived poorly by the public because we can't spell, have Facebook posts full of drunken get-togethers (at least we do here in NS) and spend too much time on these forums??!! Rant over.
  • Greed | 24 Mar 2015, 11:35 AM Agree 0
    Bottom line the greedy agents like any kind of greed it eventually falls apart..
  • Truth | 20 Apr 2015, 04:13 PM Agree 0
    Someone wrote "Any minute now, the high school dropout Realtors will be barking on here about why they are still worth 2.5%". That is partially a true statement. If commissions were low like people say they should be, then truly you would have high school dropouts working as Realtors. If Realtors could only earn minimum wage, there would be zero professional people working in the industry. Then all buyers and sellers would be complaining that they have a teenage Realtor, or weekend alcoholic Realtor, or a full-time student Realtor working on weekends only giving them bad service and causing legal conflicts. More than 90% of all homes are sold through Realtors. All sold homes include commission. It is a part of the market value, not a deduction from the market value. If there was no Government organized real estate industry, home values would be 1/2 of what they are today.
  • Read Between the Lines | 16 Sep 2015, 01:26 PM Agree 0
    Even with their cut rate commissions you don't see them with many listings- remember they will do nothing more than list your property=No ads, no feature sheets, no staging assistance, cheap or their own photos or none- majority of the listings on their site are not Red Pin Listings- they are other brokerages'.
    Trust me many of their agents couldn't make it any where else- you have to work with them to buy or you have to pay them commission so read their docs carefully - if its too good to be true it is- see if you can get out of their buyer representation and their listing agreement very carefully- get your lawyer to read it first- don't get stung- seen it happen - nothing is free
  • Get all the facts | 16 Sep 2015, 01:44 PM Agree 0
    In what province is 7% commission????? Wow in what year - oh 1957 in Ontario!!! Every province it's different?? Get your facts straight also in England you as a seller show your own home- so you have to be home your time or have the potential buyer go through your home on their own........ and as a buyer go to the property on your own so ........ meet the agent - did you ask the agent in England how it works there - the full process
  • Suspicious | 11 Feb 2016, 08:46 PM Agree 0
    What really is a full service agent anyways?
    ( other than more smoke and mirrors)

But really? What is it/one and who really decides full agent services---but said realtor themselves.

That's not cool.

"I'm full service! Cause I say so!"
  • Dear Truth. You do not speak truth | 12 Feb 2016, 12:41 AM Agree 0
    Dear Truth:

More than 90% of all homes are sold through Realtors. ( that's because Canada doesn't have another organized manner to get the job done. Your stats (90%) means squat.

All sold homes include commission. ( but they don't have to include a commission? You can hire a lawyer. Or? Do it yourself.)

It is a part of the market value, not a deduction from the market value. ( you're unprofessional. The commission ramps up the price people pay to trade real estate. A commission is not part of a market value. Quit lying to people. Shame on you. You're a bad realtor. Obviously you are a realtor.)

If there was no Government organized real estate industry, home values would be 1/2 of what they are today. ( that's a joke!!) ( homes will sell without realtors involved. Don't hold your breath. They do already. And will continue to. Realtors don't dictate home values.)

Your post was disturbing. To say the least.

Not all of the readers here are naive.
  • ??? | 12 Feb 2016, 12:43 AM Agree 0
    Saying you're a full time realtor! Means nothing.

Sorry.
  • Not on the edge | 12 Feb 2016, 12:47 AM Agree 0
    Discount brokerages are NOT on the edge.
  • RPD | 12 Mar 2016, 04:33 PM Agree 0
    Toni its easier than you really think, most of these clowns compare themselves with surgeons, they take a 6 month correspondence course and they really think they are worth this kind of money they list the house and put it on MLS and wait for another agent to sell it... most of these people couldn't find a Tim Horton's to buy donuts realtors don't sell homes people decide to buy homes and the realtor sticks out his greedy paw for a big commission
  • Old Pro | 24 Mar 2016, 03:59 PM Agree 0
    ugh..it's spelt "there"...if you're going to bash our profession, at least use high school level grammer!
  • Bob | 08 Jun 2016, 03:13 PM Agree 0
    Much ado about nothing. - RedFin or Pin?
  • | 27 Sep 2016, 04:48 PM Agree 0
    If I was a Red Pin agent I would sell a house for FREE as well. You get what you pay for and I can guarantee the marketing plan will be non existent so they rely on the MLS only. A good agent spends money on marketing which generates into more exposure which translates into more showings equals more offers equals more money. Yes those consumers will save money on commission but how much money do they leave on the table. When Nike paid Tiger Woods 10 million a year to sell there goods Reebok went oh my god why spend so much money. Well Tiger made Nike 100 million. It is the same in Real estate
  • | 27 Sep 2016, 04:51 PM Agree 0
    It sounds like Tony is jealous he must be the one selling the donuts at Tims
  • Old Timer | 02 Oct 2016, 05:11 PM Agree 0
    Listing agents are the Eyes and Ears of the Seller. How they market, promote and work on a listing is the difference between the Seller getting the maximum selling price that the property is worth or just helping another listing sell. Virtual Tours, Feature Sheets, Open houses from 1-5 P.M. so you catch the buyers before they go somewhere else and on their way home when other Open Houses are already over. It is being present for every showing so that the listing agent can see how the market is responding to the property and the List Price. It is knowing everything about their listings should the Buyer be working with a Taxi Driver, (an agent who doesn't know anything about the properties they show).
  • George | 06 Oct 2016, 01:06 PM Agree 0
    Everyone knows their own worth. Some agent are overpaid at 1%. Consumers are still prepared to pay for great service. If real estate professionals focused on the service they provide their clients this wouldn't even be a discussion. The way of the future is great personal service. If owner/brokers would focus on management instead of competing with their agents for listings and sales the industry would take a giant step forward.
Post a reply