Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Tougher lending standards coming?

Notify me of new replies via email
Justin da Rosa | 11 Mar 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Your clients may soon have a more difficult time qualifying for a home, according to one leading economist
  • Maxy | 11 Mar 2016, 12:54 PM Agree 0
    True measures so far had not cooled the markets in those three jurisdictions to any recognizable degree. The government is however doing what a responsible government should do - watch trends, express concerns, do something. If first attempt at fixing the problem is ineffective, try something else without taking an over bearing measure that could turn things on their heads. If things turn too squeaky then we will have two problems - what a detergent ad categorizes as "double trouble". No solution in real estate industry is simple.
  • | 11 Mar 2016, 02:26 PM Agree 0
    Housing markets for me are very elastic. I mean, this market may highly respond to a hick in interest rates, or affordability, just to mention some causes for elasticity. Canadians as well as US buyers of houses rely much on what the current administration will do to help or not in their purchase. I'd like that to change to "ability to repay the lien (mortgage)". If this would be sustainable we would not have to worry, unfortunately is not. I still oppose to housing prices climbing up due to more demand (which could be manipulated)
  • nick | 11 Mar 2016, 08:57 PM Agree 0
    The government is not tackling the real problem. If the government did the proper research they would find that many of these high end buyers are indeed foreign and don't require mortgages. Tightening the mortgage rules does nothing to cash buyers.
  • | 15 Mar 2016, 11:39 PM Agree 0
    The Government shouldn't put the same restrictions on all areas. They can kill the market where the sales aren't HOT by putting too many restrictions on.
  • SJ | 23 Mar 2016, 11:40 AM Agree 0
    10% doesn't go far enough 20% down, phased over 2 years would be the ticket, specifically on the lower price range product is way over valued in most areas of Canada.
    Secondly Foreign buyers should pay a 100% luxury tax payable to the province with the nerve to do it.
    Give back the real estate market to locals
Post a reply