Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

TREB to provide feedback on ruling

Notify me of new replies via email
Justin da Rosa | 09 May 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
The Competition Tribunal’s ruling in favour of the Commissioner of Competition in its abuse of dominance case against the Toronto Real Estate Board may not be the nail in the coffin many intially had thought
  • | 09 May 2016, 11:57 AM Agree 0
    It is only a matter of time. The whole industry will and should be deregulated !
  • Gary Little | 09 May 2016, 12:13 PM Agree 0
    This case is so bizarre. Is it regular practice to ask the defendant/accused to propose a remedy? Will TREB's response be something like "... while admitting absolutely no wrongdoing, TREB today recommended that it be drawn & quartered, forced to watch CREA's 'biker gang' ad 38 times in a row, pay a fine of one gajillion dollars, and promise to never ever do it again."? CB's response is "... OK, we're good with that."
  • John | 09 May 2016, 12:19 PM Agree 0
    I still don't understand how a website like TREB is obligated to provide statistics to the public who do not pay for the site. It is an organization supported and paid for by Realtors. It defies "free enterprise" when the Competition Bureau insists that we provide levels of service and disclosures on information.. In fact it is the Sellers that contribute to the website by listing their properties. Maybe they should be consulted before their private information is disclosed, not TREB. (i.e. another box to tick on the listing documents similar to "Seller wants/does not want other Agents to contact them after listing expires". I suspect if they surveyed Sellers the majority would not want their information readily available.

If the public wants this information, let them have it! But let them pay for it as well. Why should they get a free ride?

The 21st century has created a bunch of whiners and individuals that feel they are entitled.

Nothing is for free in this world and it is about time someone investigated the Competition Bureau and the real underlying reason they are on this hunt.
  • | 09 May 2016, 12:38 PM Agree 0
    I agree whole heartedly. Why do Registered Real Estate Agents have to provide their intellectual property for free? If people want that information then they should pay for just like all real estate agents do - in their monthly professional fees.
  • Michael | 09 May 2016, 12:52 PM Agree 0
    I agree with John's remarks.
  • | 09 May 2016, 12:52 PM Agree 0
    I agree with 100%. Well said John.
  • | 09 May 2016, 01:33 PM Agree 0
    of course another option might be for some of the larger real estate companies to merge their resources and get rid of stratus, then we can see what the competition bureaus will have to say about that, or will the consider that collusion
  • DLD | 09 May 2016, 02:50 PM Agree 0
    Strange, but our county has decided it cannot print maps showing the name of the owners of land, because of "privacy" issues. Yet the competition bureau sees nothing wrong with criminals viewing what the seller received on the sale of their house, and the possible equity they may have to be swindled out of. Good source of info!! Hmmmm.
  • Walmer | 17 May 2016, 10:37 AM Agree 0
    Regulation is in place to protect consumers from fraud, misrepresentation, and corruption. To avoid being like places such as China, Honduras, Venezuela. When regulation and protection binds consumers in some ways, they cry for more freedom. When freedom is granted and corruption sets in, people cry from protection and restrictions. No matter what, people will do what's worse for themselves, not better.
  • Running Scared | 18 May 2016, 11:32 AM Agree 0
    A person can go onto a website, in BC, and view assessments as well as sales on the street.
    Anyone can look this information up.
    I can view what any property sold for by looking here.
    I don't need a real estate board website to view sold prices.

Realtors are running scared.

The industry is changing.
    People don't need realtors.

And realtors know it. A person can buy and sell a home on their own.
    And save a ton of money doing it themselves.

But--realtors make the public believe they are needed through powerful marketing campaigns.
    Oh! Wait! That the public paid for! Ha!

The commission received from the public, goes into ad campaigns to scare the public.

Now that's! Scary!
    Not the bike gang.....

• Learn about life | 18 May 2016, 11:40 AM Agree 0
    John, sold prices are readily available.
    On assessment sites.
    Don't bother asking or adding a question to the form.

It wouldn't matter.
    Sold prices are viewable on websites everywhere.
    Quit fooling sellers.

The public needs to be more aware of what is available to them.

Realtors are good sales people.
    Why?
    Because they stand to earn a hefty commission.

So don't fear a bike gang or a train track ( cream commercials) fear a smooth talking realtor.

All property is owned by the crown.
    Realtors don't own info
    Owners don't own land /- they only have a mere mortgage to live on said crown property.

Sad--but the public knows so little.

Get educated on life! Figure stuff out!
    But don't ask a realtor for answers! Likely it will be skewed.

• haters | 18 May 2016, 12:28 PM Agree 0
    Realtor haters are so childish; they are the types that want all the benefits and don't want to pay. This is why the competition bureau is having so much fun. It is so funny, but sad, these haters speak from ignorance and believe they are all knowing. They should go out and walk a mile in the shoes of.
  • | 19 May 2016, 12:59 PM Agree 0
    I would say we are the envy of the world as to the ability of the public to find and sell real estate any where across the country . Once again the Government is spending public money to destroy a system that has been paid for and supported by the consumer. Also which many industries and government use the information (ie: CMHC ) to help plan etc for the public's benefit
Post a reply