Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Vancouver agent under fire for advising clients to evade taxes

Notify me of new replies via email
Ephraim Vecina | 03 Aug 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Agent now under investigation by the Real Estate Council of British Columbia for proposing options for clients to go around the province’s newly implemented property transfer tax
  • Richard | 03 Aug 2016, 11:11 AM Agree 0
    He did nothing wrong. If you think he did then you have to penalize each and every accountant and tax professional who advise their clients year in and year out how to reduce their tax burden. It is exactly the same thing.
  • Mr.M | 03 Aug 2016, 11:24 AM Agree 0
    Agreed, he's offering professional advice to his clients and advice which is in their best interest. When they signed their legally binding contracts to purchase, the tax wasn't there, now it is and what was agreed to is no longer. It sounds like he's offering a solution so his clients don't get hit by the curve ball that was thrown at them. Smart, good on you. Our government needs to think first, act second.
  • | 03 Aug 2016, 11:40 AM Agree 0
    Optics? Optics, Optics?
  • Harold | 03 Aug 2016, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    At least he was smart enough to figure this out. It makes him stand out as a RE Agent
  • Realtor | 03 Aug 2016, 12:39 PM Agree 0
    Maybe council should worry about the shady brokerage out there that they have been "investigating" (NEW COAST in case they forgot)since February and have done nothing about instead of this guy who is providing his clients with advice.
  • lotuslandrealestate.com | 03 Aug 2016, 12:51 PM Agree 0
    There is GST on salted peanuts; none on unsalted peanuts. Or is it illegal to point that out too?
  • | 03 Aug 2016, 02:21 PM Agree 0
    Good professional advice given, working for his clients.
  • Ken MacCoy, CHS | 03 Aug 2016, 02:27 PM Agree 0
    Tax Evasion is illegal...and rightly so. However, there is nothing wrong with tax planning.

If the facts in the article are accurate, then Mark Stewart provided excellent 'tax planning' advice.

• e.harold | 03 Aug 2016, 02:37 PM Agree 0
    if you can afford the million$ plus purchases to protect your money in a safe country -what the hell is 15% ? A GOVT CASH GRAB, That's all !
  • LeafsRule67 | 03 Aug 2016, 02:45 PM Agree 0
    Sad day for BC. Legislation is likely illegal under NAFTA and 25 more trade agreements. How does crud like this pass in 4 days. Foolish government. If I was a home owner and you reduce demand for my home, I would fire your tail. Bye bye Fiberals.
  • RBS | 07 Aug 2016, 02:10 PM Agree 0
    Air Canada does this by incorporation a Canadian Holding company so that they can avoid the foreign ownership rules. What is to stop Foreign buyers to register Canadian corp which then makes the buyers Canadian? He is not avoiding tax but providing advice to clients.
  • Peter B. Realtor | 08 Aug 2016, 07:31 AM Agree 0
    Legal advise is not wrong or most tax lawyers would be in jail (yea, right... and withdraw their advise to other lawyers and politicians?).

This is a STOOPID tax. Does nothing to lessen prices but puts an extra chunk of cash into the municipal wallet. Will this extra tax go into affordable housing? Are you that dumb?
  • Colin | 13 Aug 2016, 09:47 PM Agree 0
    Advising your clients on "Legal" methods to avoid taxation is not only acceptable, its what a professional is supposed to do! TAX AVOIDANCE is not the same as TAX EVASION!!!! All Canadians are entitled to conduct their affairs in the most tax advantageous way they can so long as it is legal. Tax Evasion is owing taxes and not paying them. If I earn $250,000 and only declare $100,000 that is tax evasion. If I earn $250,000 and write off $150,000 in expenses and thus claim a taxable income of $100000 that is tax avoidance and completely legal.
Post a reply