Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

War against foreign buyers hits agent

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 17 Jun 2015, 11:30 AM Agree 0
Racist graffiti plastered on the bench ads of a Chinese-Canadian agent has exposed a dangerous undercurrent in the debate over foreign property investors.
  • Rhonda | 17 Jun 2015, 12:26 PM Agree 0
    I have driven by these benches several times as I go about my work day. It disgusts me. I am sickened by this hatred and my heart goes out to the agent that was targeted. This says nothing good about our community and it's people either. It must be stopped.
  • THE TAIPAN | 17 Jun 2015, 12:44 PM Agree 0
    “We don’t think it meets the definition of a hate crime, but having said that, it’s still very disturbing and we’re taking it very seriously,” said Nanaimo RCMP spokesman Const. Gary O’Brien. While police have not established whether the graffiti is linked to the flyers, police believe that is likely the case.
    I FIND IT DISTURBING THAT "RACIST GRAFFITI, RACIAL SLURS TOGETHER WITH WRITTEN FLYERS PUT IN MAIL BOXES " ...........ALL THAT IS NOT CONSIDERED HATE CRIME BY THE NANAIMO RCMP!............IS IT BECAUSE THE ASIAN COMMUNITY IS KNOWN TO BE LAW ABIDING, PASSIVE AND NON- VOCIFEROUS?............IF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED TO THE JEWISH, MUSLIM OR OTHER COMMUNITIES, THE RCMP WOULD HAVE CALLED IT A HATE CRIME TO APPEASE THE TARGETED COMMUNITY!............I AM OF ASIAN DESCENT FROM EASTERN CANADA, MONTREAL TO BE MORE PRECISE AND I AM A REAL ESTATE BROKER AND I AM NOT THE TYPICAL SILENT, PASSIVE CHINAMAN!............AND I AM NOT HAPPY OF THE WAY THIS SITUATION IS BEING TREATED!...............
  • Gary | 17 Jun 2015, 01:34 PM Agree 0
    Its not a good way to promote this kind of uninformed racism.
    It is not the foreign investments but the all time low interest rates that are driving the market at this time.
    Hopefully this will all blow over quickley, we don't need to be starting a racism war.
  • Mike | 17 Jun 2015, 05:48 PM Agree 0
    I strongly believe the prices in the lower mainland are attributed to the Foreign investment.
  • JohnDoe | 18 Jun 2015, 02:58 PM Agree 0
    The agent had a ninth sign vandalized yesterday...
  • Lynne | 21 Jun 2015, 02:29 PM Agree 0
    exactly what Gary said...
    stop with promoting this nonsense
    my bus benches are vandalized from time to time
    and it's kids being kids - doesn't even occur to them the cost involved.
    move on...
    this is not a headline!
    shame...!

• Dee | 23 Jun 2015, 04:19 PM Agree 0
    The only way to counter this 'Hearsay' data is by the Gov't collecting and producing real data. This cloak and dagger mentality has lead to this outcome.
Post a reply