Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

We don’t need no education?

Notify me of new replies via email
Real Estate Professional | 12 Jan 2015, 09:34 AM Agree 0
The majority of real estate agents hold a college or university degree, according to a new REP poll, but that doesn’t necessarily make them good sales reps.
  • Jeff | 12 Jan 2015, 12:18 PM Agree 0
    Four years of what? I agree with the beginning of this article that suggests that people skills are not learned in the classroom. Real Estate is a sales position. Some of the best (and professional) Realtors® I know had a successful career in car sales before moving to Real Estate. Ya, car salesmen, get over it.
  • She | 12 Jan 2015, 12:19 PM Agree 0
    I agree that life skills help to make a good realtor. And I disagree that a degree will make the difference in change the industry to "good realtors". I believe it is and should be a commitment by the realtor themselves to be good at their career, continue to upgrade their real estate education and it should be mandatory that the boards and association require minimal education classes to be taken on a yearly basis. Not just the once s year review, but credit requirements similar how a CA designation would be required to be met. These courses can be real estate, people skills, sales skill, presentation skills related. The agents that are not committed to being their best, improving or lazy, will weed themselves out.
  • Lloyd | 12 Jan 2015, 12:48 PM Agree 0
    I strongly believe that we must make the real estate license much much harder to obtain. It is far to easy to get at the moment which is why we have too many agents and a lot of which are not capable of selling burgers not to mention a home. I don't think OREA and RECO care about this because the more members they have the more money they receive. Please make it as difficult to get a appraisal license and that would weed out many people who get the license as a part time job or just the people that are not capable of doing the job in the first place. This is also better for agents because there would be less competition which means less need to reduce commissions.
  • Steve | 12 Jan 2015, 03:09 PM Agree 0
    Let's get realistic people, higher education, harder to get a real estate license will not make a better sales rep. Let's police the present agents that are not doing a proper job as an agent, the public are putting their trust in you as an agent to either buy or sell, more than likely their biggest investment. There are too many agents out there that ethics went out the window and that is giving a bad rap for the agents that take their job seriously and act on behalf of their clients not only as a sales person but as a real estate consultant , that is a Real Estate Agent's job description . The public should be more aware of the fact that they can complain to the right authorities about unethical agents etc.
  • Robert | 12 Jan 2015, 04:44 PM Agree 0
    Let's start with eliminating all the layers of Administration. CREA/RECO/Treb/Orea/and all of the "Boards". They should all be non profit organizations whose mandate is to serve the Realtors who support it. Then have them toughen up the courses.

How about for Ontario, for example, OREB - Ontario Real Estate Board? One board fits all.
    And weed out the hobbyists by charging $10,000 per year for a license. I think that would tip the scales in favour of the true professionals who are working hard and diligently at the profession. Oh and you should be able to speak and write English...clearly.

Like any industry, there will always be the good, the bad and the ugly.

• Lawrence | 12 Jan 2015, 05:33 PM Agree 0
    When I took the Real Estate Course (some time ago) there was no training in selling Real Estate. After the R. E. Course, the 'Board' required we take some sales training, though. I doubt the course has changed much. Requiring an Undergraduate Degree would 'thin the ranks' some and we would get a smarter group 'as a whole'. We all know, even with the mandatory PDP, we haven't reduced our Errors and Omissions. The Real Estate Course is mostly Law and Law School requires an Undergraduate Degree. As with almost everything, it will be what we make it. If the Real Estate Agency was a Post-Graduate course it would put us in a 'Professional' league... some distance from other salespeople... and would 'more justify' the commissions charged.
  • Realton | 13 Jan 2015, 04:46 PM Agree 0
    After completed all the courses, when you hit the real field a guy is selling his home on his own. No License and no education nothing.

4 years of University . Funny joke.

Elimination FSBO brokerages.
    Standardizing commission rate.
    Toughening the regulations to open and run the brokerages, will be bring respect and quality in the industry.
  • E. Harold | 14 Jan 2015, 01:09 PM Agree 0
    teach personal contact - anyone can fill out forms - fill in blanks duh ??? - teach how to conduct a conversation without dreaming of $$$$$
    large Brokerages Preach numbers numbers numbers - to Hell with the wishes of the consumer; Buyer or Seller, just get the signature and you get big $$$$ that's how we get a bad name and people try to Sell It Myself - less than 20% of Realtor are concerned about the Customer/Client welfare
  • Melissa | 15 Jan 2015, 12:29 PM Agree 0
    In my opinion, four years is an odd number to suggest and I don't agree. The annual course's and updates should be apart of our continued education. There are very successful people that sell Real Estate as a profession, a four year degree does not supply someone with those skills.
  • Aeriol | 19 Jan 2015, 02:09 PM Agree 0
    Four years of University is a joke. University hardly gets you ready for the real world and doesn't mean a level playing field in the sales industry which requires skills that many university grads simply don't have.

We do need to lose a lot of realtors. However, currently the courses really only teach people enough to stay out of jail, give them a licence and set them on their way..... which means they are alone. No in-depth knowledge, no sales training, no financial management, how to create a budget and a marketing plan etc etc. Classes could certainly include 6 months to a year of full time study in order to qualify for a licence and only licence full time people who plan to make a business of it instead of just trying the business.

Years back I used to teach the courses at the local Colleges. I would ask the class first day why they wanted to get into real estate and their vision of their future career. Roughly 30 out of 35 people in the class would get up and say something the equivalent of " I am just going to try out real estate". At the end of this my comment to all of the class was " you will not try real estate, real estate will try you".

So there needs to be enough of a course and training to only bring serious committed people with some funds to make it through the first year. A four year general university degree does not achieve that goal as it could be in Fine Arts, Phys Ed or any other field of interest.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway.
  • Kennedy | 21 Jan 2015, 05:09 PM Agree 0
    A university degree? Seriously not. Real Estate is about Professionalism and a true desire to do the right thing for one's client. You cannot be taught that through a degree; you are either committed to do the task you were hired to do to the best of your abilities; looking after your clients interest or not. I am just over 2 years in the industry and I have seen some Agents who should, in my opinion, be not allowed to have a license. I made the No. 7 out of the top ten in my office this year and achieved the Presidents Gold. That was as a result of my commitment to my clients; referrals as a result of. I have a grade 12 education - but I think I know how our clients should be treated - like I would want to be. The RE course teaches you the very basics - not how to sell or treat people - thereafter it is up to each individual to work to be the best they can be remembering who pays their salary. You don't need a degree for that.
  • Lesley | 28 Jan 2015, 12:03 PM Agree 0
    I read this article with considerable dismay. There is absolutely an argument to made that life skills and experience add value to an individual’s credentials. I would agree that the best REALTOR® isn’t always the one that earned the highest grades in school. But to say that “formal education doesn’t necessarily make for a success [sic] real estate professional” is, at a minimum, discouraging and at its fullest sentiment; damaging. Given the huge financial investment potential home owners face, I would suggest that they would want to know that they were dealing with a professional; someone who could demonstrate that they had considerable knowledge as well as expertise in all the various facets of the Real Estate transaction. Given, too, our litigious society, as a REALTOR®, I would argue that it would be in their best interest to be as knowledgeable as possible on the various legal, ethical, financial and logistical aspects of the buying, selling and leasing processes. This can be obtained through experience but can any one person be up-to-date on all the changes that occur without some kind of education?

It is true that a degree in 14th century literature may not align with being an excellent sales person but the research, language, presentation and problem solving skills that are honed through post-secondary education are invaluable. For those that do not wish (or cannot) obtain a degree, there are many professional designations and certificates specific to the Real Estate Industry that, as a minimum, demonstrate that the particular sales person is committed to life-long learning and continuous professional development. How can that possibly be a bad thing? How can the public be disserved by such a course of action? These courses require less of a time and financial commitment and many can be done online or in-class. It is hard to argue that they are not accessible to REALTORS®. I know which type of REALTOR® I would want to work with; one with both the experience and knowledge to guide me through the process.
Post a reply