Real Estate Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

What could $300,000 buy across the country?

Notify me of new replies via email
Justin da Rosa | 06 Jan 2017, 08:15 AM Agree 0
A new study aims to answer that question by breaking down how much home can be purchased for that modest amount
  • T Jones Dealmaker | 06 Jan 2017, 12:37 PM Agree 0
    Unless there is a real estate market drop of say 50% which is highly unlikely in Toronto my feeling is that young couples & singles wishing to purchase homes in lower price brackets have to look to areas like Belleville, Kingston, Acton, Orillia & of course Barrie.

The solution might be for employers to allow certain positions in Toronto accountable to come into the office 2 times per week and the other 3 days a dependable, trustworthy employee could work from their home to cut down on commute time. Obviously this would only apply to jobs that could operate from a satellite home office. This has been done in Los Angeles for many years now due to the heavy traffic congestion in L.A. and long commuter times.

As far as living in a 400 sq ft condo that an individual purchases in Toronto my feeling is that this is crazy especially with a dog or a baby. This is no life for a family. You would be better off renting in an older apartment building in Toronto and saving what money you can from a dual income household and investing in a winterized " get away cottage" up north for your weekend retreat and future retirement. Also if you rent in an older apartment bldg in Toronto or Mississauga near your work then you might even be able to dispense with the cost of a car and just rent a ZIP car on weekends when you want to get away or for emergencies, saving a sizable amount of money by not owning a vehicle.

• Dawn Peltola - Century 21 All Seasons Realty | 11 Jan 2017, 08:42 AM Agree 0
    I don't know why but somewhere along the way New Brunswick has been left out of this topic. We currently have a family home with 4000 sq ft for only $293,000 and more homes to choose from. We might not have the big city feel but certainly get more bang for the buck.
  • Diane | 17 Jan 2017, 06:34 PM Agree 0
    What about Victoria, BC?
Post a reply